• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting in VMP V3.0

shaunmorrell

Hi Guys

As you know we’re working on VMP V3.0 but there is some vigorous debate at Future Corp amongst us about the best way to handle cutting in the program.

I’d like to keep it as simple as possible (select, click and cut) but Tony thinks we should keep it in a separate window where you can apply nesting etc. (Cutting mode). Brenda thinks we should leave it all in the designing mode but have a cut menu or buttons where you can apply weedboxes etc. to the selected items. Neil thinks we should leave it almost identical to the current version (step through process)…

Most importantly, what do you guys think?

Thanks…

Also we placed a link to Signs101 on our web site from:

HTML:
http://www.future-1.com/links/links.htm

OldPaint

i use corel mostly, it works as a printer, open file, set printer to plotter(or you can keep plotter as default) hit print and it goes....simple.

Techman

i really like the cocut style interface.
it allows a preview, set weed lines, one last chance to see what lines are goona cut..
Too me the seperate box confirms what im goona cut. Something i hated about a couple other programs. Never knew what was goona cut FOR SURE until it wasted some material..

keithack

the ability to nest before cutting has saved my a$$ more than afew times. Especially when supplies are getting low. I vote for keeping it the same or at least keeping a separate cuttting screen.

idsign

Shaun,

VMP user since 2000. First, ya gotta have cut / copy / paste the launch bar not a fly-out - (I never forced myself to memorize ctrl-x, ctrl-c, ctrl-d - but I should). Guess I was spoiled by Corel.

Until recently I never used the GO TO CUTFILE button on from the designing screen. I think that overall, Brenda has the right idea if buttons on the design page the could apply features, speedweed boxes, squash, weed box, optimize path, creep forward - and they would preview realtime in a new window - or alt tab to preview - Corel is F9 / esc back to design - then one click to cut would be great. I am familiar with Signlab 5 and have always like the cut commands that poll the machine to set velocity, blade force, et al. Save default, yada yada yada. One button click to switch to several preset cutters and print and cut machines.

Barry

Dave Drane

I took a while to work out the cut menu, but now that I have it down Pat I don't think I would like it to be changed. I also like the fact that you would have to be stupid to let it start and waste any material. I like it as is Shaun.

shaunmorrell

Thanks for all your ideas and advice, much appreciated.

I am posting another similar type question and would appreciate your thoughts on those issues if they relate to you or your colleagues…

Thanks again,

idsign

Shaun,

Also one function that would be appreciated is:

When selecting a font, the font selection window should return to the point in the list where the last selection was made.

In essence, steal the look and feel of how Corel allows the user to select a font. Big Laugh

Barry

giantsfan1951

My "vote" is to keep what you've got. it's far superior than what i had with my other program (of course that was back in 2000, b4 i switched to VMP so they may have changed also). the ability to manipulate the cutting with out affecting the "design" is a Great time and vinyl saver.

justgraphics

I agree that you should keep it as it is, the ability to manipulate the cutting with out affecting the "design" is a Great time and vinyl saver.

C

cheech

I pray you leave it as it is in version 2.5 and also vote for the font selection mentioned by Barry, it always returning to the top of the list drives me insane.

I know version 3.0 will be a quality product as all your software is, though also hope you keep it easy for me to upgrade to and not make it feel like I have changed products and have to relearn from scratch.

datcat

Kinda Off Subject,but...

I was initially very impressed with the demo but while waiting to purchase VMP, I got spoiled to the ease of cutting with the Summa supplied Corel interface (WinPlot), Summa refers to it as a watered down CoCut. Unfortunately I like the interface so much, I find my self exporting and cutting from there. Maybe I just need to spend more time in the VMP cutting module but I really am disappointed by the fact that it doesn't read the available material in the plotter. I don't like having to tell the plotter what size material is in it and like the instructions warn you .... it will attempt to cut even if the material is not large enough to support the design (speaking from experience). Hopefully you are addressing this and also true USB support in V3.0. I really wish I had waited for 3.0 to see if things got better. Still the best of the affordable softwares around though.

Decal_Designs

Vmp 3.0

Hi everyone,

I haven't been to Signs 101 in a long time due to some setbacks and distractions I've had, and basically I'm starting where I've left off at the end of 2003. It's nice to see familiar names from when Signs 101 first started. I like the new look, and I see you've kept a few of the smileys I made back then. I'm sure it's still a great group of people.

I've just now (finally) purchased a Summa D60 and am waiting for it's delivery, so I've been looking back into the VMP program now.

I currently have the demo of 2.5 but didn't get a chance
to really look into it. I am now revisiting this program.

I have a few questions,

Does anyone know when 3.0 might become available?
I've been holding out on the purchase of VMP to get a clean install of 3.0

Does anyone know what the price will be for the full version of 3.0,
and would it be less money to buy 2.5 and then upgrade to 3.0? I'd
prefer to not upgrade if it's coming out soon.

I've read that 2.7 or what ever version they are on now has a dongle
as opposed to registration like 2.5. Will 3.0 use the dongle or
registration, and what's the big drawback if any of having the
dongle?

:thankyou: :signs101:

idsign

Vmp 3.0

I am told that 3.0 will poll the plotters so that you know the settings of the plotter and ? measure the media?

Also, dongle - with any luck there will be a USB DONGLE. Then, we VMP lovers can pluck that sucker out and run across the room to another PC, maybe even with files on a POCKET DRIVE or CRUZER flash memory, and design and cut on another PC or stuff the USB DONGLE in our pockets, hit the road and design on our laptops in Tahiti or at lunch with the client.

Shaun, please, please, please, USB DONGLE ME!

(that didn't sound good!?)

Barry

shaunmorrell

Yes V3.0 will poll the plotter for items such as speed, media width and offset etc.

It will also use a USB dongle...

Thanks

Decal_Designs

I know I'll have plenty to do studying the 2.5 program and learning about working with vector files, and I'm sure much of what I learn can be applied to 3.0

I've read that 3.0 will be so much better. I'm trying to wait for that.

Will spending a lot of time learning 2.5 pay off?