• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Text (Specifically O and R)

EternalAudio

I have a Graphtec CE5000-60 that I just bought, and Im using FlexiSign Pro 7.6v2. I also have the full Adobe suite. (Photoshop, Illustrator etc)

My problem is when I am trying to cut text. I typed it into Illustrator using the Comic Sans MS font, and when I open the file in FS it looks fine. When I go to cut, the "O" does not cut fully around. There is quite a large section that does not get cut. Come to think of it, I also have a logo I am trying to cut that is an oval shape, and when it is cutting, it starts at the top of the oval, goes around and stops before it completes the oval.
The R also has the same problem. On the R it stops cutting at the bottom left of the inside portion of the R and directly below it on the bottom portion of the R.

Im pretty sure its just a setting I am missing somewhere... but I have no clue where... Any ideas? :)

iSign

did you ever accidently cut to deep & go through the paper backing? If you do this, you will cut into the teflon strip beneath it. If that gets cut, it won't be there to support the vinyl when the blade travels over that spot.

If the same O and R fial the same way no matter where on the page, then you have a different problem, but with what little info you provide, it sounds sporadic, so the damaged teflon was just one idea that came into mind.

Do some trouble shooting... same letters, different font, different spots on the page (flip upside down maybe) ...then report back with more clues of what DOES work, as well as what doesn't.

EternalAudio

Yes, I did accidentally cut into the teflon strip, but its very light. I was able to stop it before it did major damage. I have used different vinyl, placed it in different spots. All of the other letters cut fine. I tried moving the "O"'s aroundto different spots, and it still does the same thing.
Here is a picture of the letter. Two different spots on the vinyl

Attachments

• Letters.JPG
    Letters.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 161

signage

What happens when you do a test cut from the panel? Use that to adjust your offset, look in the manual.

Jackpine

I have a Graphtec CE5000-60 that I just bought, and Im using FlexiSign Pro 7.6v2. I also have the full Adobe suite. (Photoshop, Illustrator etc)

My problem is when I am trying to cut text. I typed it into Illustrator using the Comic Sans MS font, and when I open the file in FS it looks fine. When I go to cut, the "O" does not cut fully around. There is quite a large section that does not get cut. Come to think of it, I also have a logo I am trying to cut that is an oval shape, and when it is cutting, it starts at the top of the oval, goes around and stops before it completes the oval.
The R also has the same problem. On the R it stops cutting at the bottom left of the inside portion of the R and directly below it on the bottom portion of the R.

Im pretty sure its just a setting I am missing somewhere... but I have no clue where... Any ideas? :)

Posted in the other section.
Make sure the blade holder is clean and the blade is inserted correctly.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Pay little attention to those pushing offset. That's not your problem. Offset is at best a micro adjustment. All it does is provide a tiny translation to account for the blade's cutting edge not being dead center on the blade's shaft. Or at least where the plotter thinks the center might be. You might be able to mitigate you problem by wildly skewing the offset number, but that's not a fix, just an accommodation. The problem still exists.

Offset doesn't change, once set it's set for a given blade geometry. Screwing with offset will give you overly pointed or overly rounded corners, but usually not incomplete cuts. Most often that's due to dust and crud in the tool carriage, particularly in the up/down mechanism. A tool slow to drop and/or slow to lift and a carriage slow to move is most often the cause of this problem.

You Blade could be damaged or dull, i would replace it. You may need to adjust your offset setting as well, If you dont have manuel got to roland website there is alot of tech support usually in pdf formatt

Type the letters straight into Flexi, send to the cutter and I bet your problem disappears. Illustrator sometimes doesn't play nicely with certain fonts, files and software.

signage

I agree the test cut doesn't look correct, the corners should be sharp looks like needs adjustments! Look at the CD they sent you with it and print out the info on setting up the test plot.

Nikonian Foo

Are you using HPGL or GPGL on Flexi? I switched to HPGL and all my offset nonsense problem was solved! I'm not sure why though...

Bogie

Could the problem be with Comic Sans? (heh...)

So, faster might be better? I cut my speed way down from the defaults...

geedub

I had the same problem with our graphtec. I changed the teflon strip, the blade and made sure the offset setting matched the new blade I was using, and I haven't had the same problem since. So I don't know which one of the three it was, but it worked. The teflon strips are like 6 dollars.

Ken

How about other fonts?
Do they work OK?
Where did you get your Comic Sans?
WHY did you get Comic Sans..lol.. it's an old joke.
Seriously...do other fonts work OK?
Ken