• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

D:\ is not accessible.

Lance

Gooday all. Hope I've got the right spot for this.

Got a problem I think, hoping someone can tell me otherwise.

I have 2 x 40Gb H/Ds installed in the box.
C: has all the system stuff on it.
D: has all my working files, clipart etc.

Turned on this morning all is good, fired up just fine.
Playing around, read the forum, news and wasted about half hour .
About time I did some work. Attempt to access D: and get the following message box.

D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

It was working OK yesterday and turned of OK last night as far as I know.

I have run AVG and found nothing on the system drive but in the report it states that C: was not tested. Could not open.

I have run no other cleaners for fear of loosing some details which may help to solve the problem.

Any of you PC ppl have any ideas ?

best

lance

:thumb: :Australia

srt10x3

Lance said:
Gooday all. Hope I've got the right spot for this.

Got a problem I think, hoping someone can tell me otherwise.

I have 2 x 40Gb H/Ds installed in the box.
C: has all the system stuff on it.
D: has all my working files, clipart etc.

Turned on this morning all is good, fired up just fine.
Playing around, read the forum, news and wasted about half hour .
About time I did some work. Attempt to access D: and get the following message box.

D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

It was working OK yesterday and turned of OK last night as far as I know.

I have run AVG and found nothing on the system drive but in the report it states that C: was not tested. Could not open.

I have run no other cleaners for fear of loosing some details which may help to solve the problem.

Any of you PC ppl have any ideas ?

best

lance

I am a PC hardware and software Guru by trade.

What OS (Operating System are you running).
Do you know if the Partion is FAT/FAT32(Win98/WinME), or NTFS (XP/2000)?

Once I have that info I can point in the right direction. Just don't try to write anything to that drive and your data is 99% recoverable.

Craig

Lance

Gooday Craig, thanks for the response.
We are running XP on this machine with the NTFS system.
What do you suggest my friend ?

best

lance

Lance

Gooday again, still not getting very far with this problem.
Anyone got any suggestions ?
(Yeah, I was gonna do that but the missus said it wasn't a good idea.)

best

lance

Lance

Hi BIOS is recognising drive and its settings. I also tried to insert a print scree of the disk management window which also recognises the drive, but i couldn't get it to work. The drive is showing as empty.
Anne Lance's trouble and strife.

signage

how old is the drive? When you try to access this drive do you hear it spin-up? What does my computer show when you right click on drive ab
nd pick properties?

srt10x3

Lance said:
Gooday Craig, thanks for the response.
We are running XP on this machine with the NTFS system.
What do you suggest my friend ?

best

lance

If you right click on the drive in Windows, choose tools, choose CHECK for Errors. What happens?

If you can't access it there, boot from your XP CD, choose Repair, once you get a black screen with a prompt, type:

chkdsk d: /f

That should correct any problems with the drive.

Craig

Lance

Howdy tried the recovery console as suggested but when tried chkdsk d:/f it would not recognise the parameter.
if you just use the command chkdsk d: the message comes up "this volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". I could get no further than this.
Cheers Anne

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
If worst comes to worst, I suggest downloading GetDataBack for NTFS- it's a great data retrieval program- about $50 to buy, free trial downloadable.
But....you've not said if the drive is spinning when the box is turned on.
I'm assuming it's invisible in MyComputer or Explorer?
Try a System restore to two or three days ago. (Start>programs>accessories>ststem tools> system restore) in case something recent has rendered it invisible.

I had similar probs with a samsung 120 gig hd- it periodically decided it wasn't formatted, and asked you if you required it formatted. All along the data was there- but it decide it was in RAW format. Eventually we decided the HD was at fault, and being 12 months old, we luckily found a receipt for it, giving three year's warranty, so it's been sent off for checking.
(first we used GDB to retrieve everything)

srt10x3

Lance said:
Howdy tried the recovery console as suggested but when tried chkdsk d:/f it would not recognise the parameter.
if you just use the command chkdsk d: the message comes up "this volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". I could get no further than this.
Cheers Anne

use the /r option then.. That will repair/recover any bad sectors.

Also the GDB program works good as well as the Ontrack remote recovery software.

Craig

Lance

Gooday ppl
Still not getting very far with this problem I'm afraid.

Today we tried the D:/r and D:/p commands and got the same message with both.
"The volume contains one or more irrecoverable problems"

What other options do I have to get into this drive from here ?
Should I start to beleive what it is telling me ?

I have been a bit reluctant to try the likes of GBD but I guess it is at the stage where I have nothing to lose.

I will be putting in a new H/D over the weekend and getting back into the flow but being locked out of the drive cheeses me off.

It is not really a great loss of info with this, more a challenge I 'spose.

If you blokes think I should be doing anything else I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for all your help so far and we will press on regardless.

Best

lance

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Get yourself an external usb hard drive box/enclosure, and put the crook hd in that, so you can try & access it via usb from a good computer.

Lance

Good idea Ian, I'll see if I can pick one up in the morning locally.
With the enclosure, I will be able to sit my 'bad' drive into it and simple connect via USB to the other computer, is that the way it works ?

lance

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Yes, Lance. They vary from $70ish to $110ish from The disc shop and other places. They're a useful item- you can plug any standard IDE hard drive into it, and the usb lead from the enclosure goes to your computer usb port. Win XP is recommended- with win98, you'll only get a really slow usb1 download/transfer speed. Later when you've solved the problem, you can put a new hard drive of some bigger size into it, and use it for file storage etc.

Lance

Sounds like that might be a smart move Ian.
We'll get back to the "work around the problem for the moment" thing, and I'll get something sorted over the next few days.
Adrian (my son) is busy playing with the X3 trial so that has removed a bit of the urgency.

Thanks again Ian.

best

lance