• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with a client that doesn't pay. What to do???

B-RAD Graphics

i feel your pain...I did a job rt across from my shop..6 signs in all one big light box with seperate lexan panels...I always require 50%deposit... everybody gave deposit except one..and i delayed but finally did it...never paid a penny and i have to look at sign everday ..o and the one who did not pay drives the nicest car of all....really...

always get a deposit.

Mosh

GO GET THE SIGN! Come on, what are they going to do. I guess here "in the sticks" we do stuff like that, but no one messes with us!

GVP

I've had great success walking up and down outside a business with a placard on a stick "Joe Blow owes me $xxx for his signs" - got paid pretty quick. Pick a busy time!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I've just sent her an email threatening to take her to collections as well as repossess the vinyl that I've installed.

now that you have sent a 'nasty' email and listened to all the things not to do. have you gone over there for a face to face talk? people can hide alot better on the phone or email, just as they can be billy bad ass on an internet forum, but face to face meeting, and a suggestion that a portion has to be paid now, just might get you something in your pocket....

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Seriously, go there on a Sunday and scrape half of each window off. If they call the cops, so what, worst they could make you do is put it back up. Leaving half would give them a stong signal not to mess with you. Call me up I will do it for you.

Well then, Clarence Darrow, the worst and most likely thing that could happen is that you'd be in the slammer for some flavor of vandalism and criminal mischief.

Not getting paid for a job is a civil matter. Damaging someone's property is a criminal issue. And it most certainly is their property as far as the criminal justice system is concerned. Unfortunately for you, the local constabulary only concerns itself with the criminal side of thing. Civil matters mean nothing to them.

A court order and a subsequent mechanic's lien [if you're going to use the word you should at least learn to spell it properly] is the one vehicle that can bridge the gap, sort of, betwixt the civil and criminal issues. It can turn a civil issue into a quasi-criminal contempt of court matter.

ProWraps

Well then, Clarence Darrow, the worst and most likely thing that could happen is that you'd be in the slammer for some flavor of vandalism and criminal mischief.

Not getting paid for a job is a civil matter. Damaging someone's property is a criminal issue. And it most certainly is their property as far as the criminal justice system is concerned. Unfortunately for you, the local constabulary only concerns itself with the criminal side of thing. Civil matters mean nothing to them.

A court order and a subsequent mechanic's lien [if you're going to use the word you should at least learn to spell it properly] is the one vehicle that can bridge the gap, sort of, betwixt the civil and criminal issues. It can turn a civil issue into a quasi-criminal contempt of court matter.

i tried. as usual, bob says it best. listen and learn.

jasonx

Send in your wife and all her friends for a private party and at payment time tell them to take it off your account :)

858Graphics

www.858graphics.com
very nice install and design, we do not even create proofs without a credit card number on file, if paying is an issue then you are not a serious customer.....

grafixemporium

Another lesson learned... get at least half up front and make sure that half at least covers your cost of materials. We've all been burned. I've even learned my lesson and then been burned by customers who usually pay. Bottom line, cover your a$$ first. I wouldn't have done the layout without a deposit. I especially wouldn't have printed without one.

I'm with JasonX on this one. Drop your wife and a couple of her friends off up there on a busy Saturday. Let them know the sky is the limit. Give 'em the royal treatment. Manicure, Pedicure, Massage... whatever else they offer. When it comes time to settle up, walk in and hand them a copy of your unpaid invoice and let them know you're square now. What they did to you is no less criminal.

cartoad

If you are in business you are going to have this happen. All you can do is have your business organized to minimize it, collect as much as you can up front, stay on top of your AR, collect balance on delivery. (all easy to say, but get easier the more you practice it, and smile a lot!) From the tool business my education was very expensive, the bottom line was, sometimes good paying customers go bad, and sometimes bad paying customers became good paying customers.

John L

It all starts with a contract. Walk into a lawyer's office and tell them this story. They will be able to help you for the NEXT time.