• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with a client that doesn't pay. What to do???

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... If the cops were called, I would explain the situation and I would imagine the officers would understand my situation.

No, they would not. Police deal in criminal matters, such as your vandalism. They are unconcerned with civil matters, such as any claim of non-payment you might have. Since there is no such thing as a title to the work in question that is recognized by the apparatus. Any claims of ownership and/or non-payment will not mitigate the crime you're committing. You'd be in custody in a heartbeat.

All those posting the various acts of bravado they would perform are either ignorant or idiots. Are you willing to hazard your freedom for a few dollars? Especially for a few dollars you will not have a hope in hell of ever collecting?

Living well is the best revenge.

Replicator

I would put up coro signs all over town smearing their reputation as NON-Payers, Liars and cheats . . . That'll teach 'em !

gbahue

Put up some reflective vinyl on the window above the door that says "This Company Doesnt Pay Their Bills" Do it every few weeks. They will get tired of picking off the reflective.

g

Circleville Signs

Bob, I think you are the only voice of sanity on this thread! As much as it would feel good for about 10 minutes to do alot of these things, all it would do is RUIN your business name around town.

Now, Gino's sign - that I could see working. Especially if you point out to them that it is up.

Gary

Billct2

I worked at a shop where we repoed some sandblasted signs late one night.
We knew what would happen if we got caught, the signs were stashed in a neutral location. A day or two later the police showed up at the shop, but we didn't answer any questions...the cop was sympathetic, but pissed about having to seal with the theft,and told us we'd be arrested if he found out we did it. And since the signs were expensive I believe it would have been a felony.
I also know a few shops that have done the "picket" routine, it worked.
I remember when I fisrts started in the trade a local restaurant had a beautiful new sign, one day I went by and it had been rolled out with black paint. I asked an old sign guy what that was about and he said "Somebody didn't get paid" and any other sign guy seeing that would know it.

Mosh

Seriously, go in there and calmy ask for your money. You might be suprised. Remember to stay calm and not raise your voice. Be professional, you don't see lawyers screaming!

Billct2 WHAT HAPPENED? to the signs? Did you guys ever get your money?

Rooster

In Canada you need to take them to small claims court. It's not very expensive and no lawyers are required. In fact they're discouraged. It's only available for disputes under $10K.

Take your records down with you and a record of all your correspondence with the customer. It will take a long time to get your money back, but if it's a cut and dry case of non-payment they will force the customer to buck up or freeze their accounts.

Chances are this customer simply has no money to pay their bills. In which case they will try to work out a payment schedule that the customer can handle. Providing they haven't gone out of business by the time it gets to court (about a year).

tcorn1965

Interesting Read

Chances are most of your customers pay you within a reasonable amount of time. But sooner or later you will have to deal with a customer who pays very slowly or not at all. What can you do? And just importantly, what can't you do to collect the money owed you? Here is what you need to know.
If you work on a retainer basis or provide services under a contract, make it clear what services you will charge for, what deliverables the customer will get for the fee, and what work will incur additional charges. Be sure to let the customer know how often you will bill and how long they will have to pay each bill. Put it all in writing and be sure to include a section about your rights and responsibilities regarding ownership of products, intellectual property or records of work you perform if bills are not paid. (Have your attorney draw up a boilerplate agreement that will work for most customers or clients.)
Send out your invoices promptly at regularly scheduled intervals. Be sure the client can tell that your mailing is not just another routine reminder. You may want to stamp the envelope "Invoice Enclosed" so it doesn't accidentally get thrown out. Send out reminder notices promptly to any client who doesn't pay within a predetermined time frame - usually ten to 30 days.
If a client still doesn't pay after reminders are sent, have someone from your accounts receivable department call the late-payer and try to determine the cause. If you don't have an "accounts receivable department" have a spouse, secretary or bookkeeper play the role. If the customer is one you want to keep and is worth keeping, using such an intermediary will make it easier to maintain a good working relationship with the customer after the bills get paid.
If the company or individual is having a financial problem, offer them a chance to pay you in installments.
If those initial attempts at collecting do no good, consider more aggressive means to collect what you are owed:

• File suit in small claims court. You don't need to hire an attorney to sue in small claims court, so if the client is nearby (you have to go court where the client is located), this can be a low-cost way of pursuing your claims.
  • Contact a collection agency in your state and let the collection agency tackle collection. Find out in advance what the collection agency will charge for its services and call the Better Business Bureau to make sure there are no unresolved complaints against the collection agency you plan to deal with.
  • Have the collection agency report the debtor to credit reporting agencies.
  • Retain the services of an attorney if the amount is significant enough to warrant the attorney's fees and attention.
What NOT to do
Don't tell your friends at the weekly Rotary meeting that the customer is a deadbeat, and don't plaster online bulletin boards or mailing lists with notes telling the world that your customer is a bad credit risk. If you do things like that, you can get yourself sued. You can also get yourself into legal hot water by making threats, using harassing or abusive language, making collection calls at odd hours or too often, or by making false statements about what will happen if the debtor doesn't pay.

HaroldDesign

I think it would be fun to pass out some of these.

Attachments

• BluNail.jpg
    BluNail.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 111

Deaton Design

All those posting the various acts of bravado they would perform are either ignorant or idiots.
You are a complete Jackass, you do know that dont you? Discuss the issue at hand, make your points known, but dont look down that nose of yours at any of us because we would do things differently than you. I can assure you, if I put those signs up, and after five months she hadnt paid me, she would either pay or I would take them down. Id take the loss just to make it hard on her for being a deadbeat.

threeputt

Bob is merely stating his opinon. Which happens to be correct.

Someone else on this thread said he (Bob) was the only voice of reason on here. Not so! Myself (and I'm sure others) who have some sense of business protocols know that much of what passes for advice on topics like these is either unethical, illegal or just plain bad for business.

No, I don't like getting stiffed on signs. It's been awhile but I remember the feeling quite well. But there are remedies out there that are effective and legal.

threeputt

You are a complete Jackass, you do know that dont you? Discuss the issue at hand, make your points known, but dont look down that nose of yours at any of us because we would do things differently than you.

And I don't get where people start making personal attacks. If you disagree, say so, but what's with the name calling...I don't know.. what are we? in the eighth grade?

btropical.com

Flame craiglist rants and raves , use a ladder to attach signs on telephone poles so they cant take them down , cite mold and fungus in water , I lost my big toe due to unsanitary conditions at my foot is rotten and blu nail salon .What ever you do don't let those scum bags off the hook . Call the owners mother and say that she was in a horrible accident . 3 shrimp in the car door panel .

threeputt

Flame craiglist rants and raves , use a ladder to attach signs on telephone poles so they cant take them down , cite mold and fungus in water , I lost my big toe due to unsanitary conditions at my foot is rotten and blu nail salon .What ever you do don't let those scum bags off the hook . Call the owners mother and say that she was in a horrible accident . 3 shrimp in the car door panel .

Wow.

Deaton Design

And I don't get where people start making personal attacks. If you disagree, say so, but what's with the name calling...I don't know.. what are we? in the eighth grade?
And calling someone ignorant or an idiot isnt personal?