• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with a client that doesn't pay. What to do???

Sticky Signs

I have to admit that in my short time as a business owner, I have not had to deals with clients that do not want to pay - until now. I had a new client referred to me back in June. She needed some window graphics designed, produced and installed for her new nail salon. I quickly got to work and put together something pretty awesome. She loved the design so I proceeded to print and install the graphics. I generally give my clients 30 days to pay and tack on 2% interest after 30 days. It's been five months now and I've got nothing but the run around from her. I've just sent her an email threatening to take her to collections as well as repossess the vinyl that I've installed.
I'm just wondering how you guys deal with these types of situations and what you've done to get them to pay.

Attachments

• IMG_1389 copy.jpg
    IMG_1389 copy.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 147

TheSnowman

Well, from my previous burns...all I've ever knon for sure...is that for some strange reason, they aren't required to pay you. ESPECIALLY if they are incorporated. I did the small claims thing, and all I did was lose another $100. I've had a bit more luck contacting people with a collections agency, but still so far haven't seen any results. It's a sick and twisted world we live in when someone owes you money and they aren't legally tied to paying you, and you can't go get your sign back cause it's not your property.

ProWraps

two things.

1. the design looks great.
2. you just bought an education in how to bill your clients upfront and what can be the consequences of owning your own business. education is never free. no matter what form it comes in.

Sticky Signs

Honestly, I don't know what the laws are here in Canada but as far as I'm concerned I paid for it, therefore I own it - even if it's on someone else window. I'm more than happy to go take it back.
Prowraps - thanks for the compliment however I can't take full credit for the design. The swirly thing is actually parts of a larger piece that I bought from shutterstock. I took what I needed and added the text. What can I say? I'm a sh**ty designer...

ProWraps

nothing wrong with that. honestly its pretty much the way the marjority of design is done anymore.

as far as reposesing the product, i dunno about canada, but here in the states you would be arrested for vandalism.

you have to look at it like this. either way you are screwed.

you dont get paid, and she keeps the vinyl, well end of story.

you dont get paid and you take the vinyl, well there could be legal ramifications, and she will BAD MOUTH YOU TO DEATH to everyone she knows.

either way you DONT get paid.

it sucks. we all go through it. its how we learn.

Salmoneye

F$%^ That! I know a guy that can make nasty, nasty picket signs. It's not slander if it is the truth. After an hour of that I bet the phone rings, you call your $8. an hour people home... ... I also can't imagine being prosecuted for removing an exterior application that does no damage that the client cant show payment for that is in a public area of a strip mall that you remove outside of business hours. Do now, ask permission later and grow a pair. If this is completely out of your style get a bill, walk in, and when you get the run around just sit in the lobby and say "I will wait". After you chat up a couple of clients things will happen pretty quickly. If that doesn't work, sleep with their daughter. Clients hate that! If these light tactics have no effect call me, I stay up at night waiting for a client not to pay me.

Mosh

We have leans on around 10 different properties for non payment. They can never sell those properties until I am paid. They also draw 6% interest, I have one over ten years so it is getting up there where I will just own the property. You have to go to SC court and get a judement and keep the lean updaited every 5 years. If they don't own anything go break the windows out!

Mosh

Seriously, go there on a Sunday and scrape half of each window off. If they call the cops, so what, worst they could make you do is put it back up. Leaving half would give them a stong signal not to mess with you. Call me up I will do it for you.

Salmoneye

Yes I am sure you would and that's why you wouldn't get paid and she would keep the vinyl. I have several police friends a JP, City attorney and a district attorney. I do watch my step and have no intention of going to jail but the reason that we deal with this is that some of us put up with this.

Mosh

You must have gotten bullied as kid! What is a few bucks in vinyl to make a point. BTW I know the attorney General of Nebraska, but he couldn't get me out of jail those times I called him.

Mosh

Sorry, I would just go over on a Sunday and remove one letter. Do that each Sunday until 1) you are paid or 2) do it enough Sundays and all the lettering is gone! BTW I do know John Bruning The Att general of NE.

Steve Werner

I have a good friend that owns an asphalt business, didn't get paid by a customer. He went to the job site and dumped a load of asphalt in front of the deadbeats door. He had some legal costs but got paid and said the legal costs were worth it.