• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Deciding on a flatbed Laminator

Signed Out

We have an old royal soverign laminator 1401, and a kala. Since we got the kala we only use the RS for mounting to substrates and masking. The kala sucks at mounting, but is awesome at laminating. Recently we can't keep our RS from not wrinkling. Have been having to adjust the roller for the last few years now to keep it going, and now I think it needs new rollers, or to be replaced.

Can get a great deal on new RS 1402 CW for $4,000 delivered. Can have it in 4 days or less. Easy plug n play for our shop.

But I'm really leaning toward a flatbed laminator increasing our production, saving time and/or requiring 1 person vs 2 people for certain jobs. So looking for some feedback on which table would suit us best. So far I'm looking into Rolls roller, Roll over and CWT.

Our need for a table is for masking and mounting. We do a decent amount of mounting prints to 8x4 ACM, coro 040, 063, 080, foam core and MDO mostly to be cut down after. And a lot of masking cut vinyl and print/cut graphics. We also do the occasional 5x10s and for vehicle graphics, a lot of 10-15' panels. Thinking a 60"+ x 144ish would be a good size for us?

What pros and cons do you guys have between these machines/models. Which are best suited for mounting/masking? I can sacrifice laminating if it means better mounting/masking.

CanuckSigns

We have the rolls roller entry model, while it is great for mounting, it's very tricky to mask cut graphics with and avoid the Mask wrinkling. I've spoken to other shops with the same issue.

player

We have the rolls roller entry model, while it is great for mounting, it's very tricky to mask cut graphics with and avoid the Mask wrinkling. I've spoken to other shops with the same issue.
Is it a problem with the entry model or all makes and models?

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We have a Roll-X and it is great for mounting. I also use it for laminating our Gerber Edge prints. I hate to transfer tape with it. It will wrinkle the tape. I am fabricating a tape roll holder for the end of the table.
I will say the table is the best employee Ive ever had.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
We have an old royal soverign laminator 1401, and a kala. Since we got the kala we only use the RS for mounting to substrates and masking. The kala sucks at mounting, but is awesome at laminating. Recently we can't keep our RS from not wrinkling. Have been having to adjust the roller for the last few years now to keep it going, and now I think it needs new rollers, or to be replaced.

Can get a great deal on new RS 1402 CW for $4,000 delivered. Can have it in 4 days or less. Easy plug n play for our shop.

But I'm really leaning toward a flatbed laminator increasing our production, saving time and/or requiring 1 person vs 2 people for certain jobs. So looking for some feedback on which table would suit us best. So far I'm looking into Rolls roller, Roll over and CWT.

Our need for a table is for masking and mounting. We do a decent amount of mounting prints to 8x4 ACM, coro 040, 063, 080, foam core and MDO mostly to be cut down after. And a lot of masking cut vinyl and print/cut graphics. We also do the occasional 5x10s and for vehicle graphics, a lot of 10-15' panels. Thinking a 60"+ x 144ish would be a good size for us?

What pros and cons do you guys have between these machines/models. Which are best suited for mounting/masking? I can sacrifice laminating if it means better mounting/masking.

The CWT tables are very popular.
https://www.cwtworktoolsusa.com/testimonials.html
blakehollier@cwtworktoolsusa.com has a list of all the current promotional pricing and options.
It might be worth an inquiry to see.
The Platinum series of the tables all have great reviews.

ikarasu

Everyone I've spoken to has the entry model, so no idea.
We have a rolls roller and premasking never gives us issues. I don't think ours is the basic though.

Do you guys have the bar attachment the premask goes on? I used to wrinkle a lot... Then the guy who uses the machine for 8 hours a day showed me how he aligns It perfectly, and now I can do hundreds of 8 ft sheets with no issues. Just found a video that's pretty similar to how we do it.

Only difference is we keep the premask taught on the "align to the roll" part... Move the gantry forward and drop it down on the item were premasking... Then once we're done rolling forward... We roll it back over the 15" that was used for alignment.... Produces no waste.

Not familiar with the entry model... Looks like their newer models look different from what we have as well. So maybe there was a design change and premasking just sucks now.

Last edited:

Signed Out

Great feedback everyone, thanks!

Need to hear more about these issues with premasking. Those who are having issues, are you doing a similar method to the video ikarasu posted? Good and easy pre-masking is a must for us.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I will admit we are not premasking like the video. I will have to try that out. Learn something new every day.
And on a side note. We got virtually no training on the table. We were the first one Glantz sold and installed in our area.

ikarasu

I will admit we are not premasking like the video. I will have to try that out. Learn something new every day.
And on a side note. We got virtually no training on the table. We were the first one Glantz sold and installed in our area.
I think the main part that fixed it for me is pulling it over the roller and onto the premask roll and aligning it. Even when it was taught and looked straight it was a quarter to a half inch out... Sliding it side by side to align with the roll made it perfectly straight and prevented any skew / wrinkles from happening.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Have a Kala and love her for laminating. Have a RollsRoller, use it all day. Premask is super easy, just make sure your all squared up and no wrinkles at all, we’ve had ours a few years now, no comparison on mounting times.

Signed Out

Ok pretty set on getting a table now. Just need to figure out which one and from who.

As already stated, we will be using the table for, I'll say 95% mounting and masking and I doubt we'll ever laminate with it. We also have an entry door within our shop that it will need to fit through, 72" wide by 76" tall. So I need to make sure it can fit through or come partially assembled so it can fit through. I started getting some info from Grimco the other day and they told me some of the rolls roller models will fit through the door, and he'll find out which ones.

That said, any recommendations on who to buy from? And which table would you recommend? I don't really have a preference at this point, although I don't necessarily like the reviews about the CWT table having a bow in it.

FatCat

We were early adopters of the CWT 1640 when it came out. Very well built unit - yes, the glass on the table is in 2 pieces, it is higher in the center and presses down when the roller is dropped. (Similar to a crowned roller - just different method) Hasn't been a problem for us, machine is used daily for mounting, masking, laminating, etc. The only gripe I have is with a lot of use you'll be replacing the clear cutting mat about once every year or so - and they aren't cheap, but that will be with all clear mats that size I imagine.

OhioSigns

Ok pretty set on getting a table now. Just need to figure out which one and from who.

As already stated, we will be using the table for, I'll say 95% mounting and masking and I doubt we'll ever laminate with it. We also have an entry door within our shop that it will need to fit through, 72" wide by 76" tall. So I need to make sure it can fit through or come partially assembled so it can fit through. I started getting some info from Grimco the other day and they told me some of the rolls roller models will fit through the door, and he'll find out which ones.

That said, any recommendations on who to buy from? And which table would you recommend? I don't really have a preference at this point, although I don't necessarily like the reviews about the CWT table having a bow in it.
I've been looking to get one for a few years and haven't pulled the trigger yet but you mentioned you have a Kala laminator. Kala make the "Applikator" and it uses the same shafts as the 1650 laminator. It also does not use air and they have extensions if you want to make it longer. It is kinda the way I was leaning for an application table.

Signed Out

I've been looking to get one for a few years and haven't pulled the trigger yet but you mentioned you have a Kala laminator. Kala make the "Applikator" and it uses the same shafts as the 1650 laminator. It also does not use air and they have extensions if you want to make it longer. It is kinda the way I was leaning for an application table.

Yes I have been looking at the kala aplikator also, would be very convenient using the same shafts. But what I've read from a couple threads on here, because of the bolt together assembly (which enables table expansion) the unit isn't as rigid as the others and this causes problems with alignment and skewing. So I've pretty much crossed that one off the list. I haven't laid hands on any of these though, only basing this off other peoples reviews.

Signed Out

We were early adopters of the CWT 1640 when it came out. Very well built unit - yes, the glass on the table is in 2 pieces, it is higher in the center and presses down when the roller is dropped. (Similar to a crowned roller - just different method) Hasn't been a problem for us, machine is used daily for mounting, masking, laminating, etc. The only gripe I have is with a lot of use you'll be replacing the clear cutting mat about once every year or so - and they aren't cheap, but that will be with all clear mats that size I imagine.

Thanks FatCat. Have seen your posts about the CWT on here. I really do like everything about the CWT, no crossbar, good pricing, and good reviews. I just wonder about the bow in the table. Do you have to make sure everything is done in the center of the table to avoid skewing? Does the bow cause problems if cutting with a straight edge, across the bow?

OhioSigns

Yes I have been looking at the kala aplikator also, would be very convenient using the same shafts. But what I've read from a couple threads on here, because of the bolt together assembly (which enables table expansion) the unit isn't as rigid as the others and this causes problems with alignment and skewing. So I've pretty much crossed that one off the list. I haven't laid hands on any of these though, only basing this off other peoples reviews.

Thanks. Good to know.

FatCat

Thanks FatCat. Have seen your posts about the CWT on here. I really do like everything about the CWT, no crossbar, good pricing, and good reviews. I just wonder about the bow in the table. Do you have to make sure everything is done in the center of the table to avoid skewing? Does the bow cause problems if cutting with a straight edge, across the bow?

Nope, we mount small things like yard signs, 12" x 18" aluminum blanks, etc on either side with no issue. The only thing I will say is that if you go above 1/4" thickness, and doing small size mounting it is best to put a similar thickness of the same material on the other side of the table for the roller to ride on. If you bury the roller on say 1/2" MDO and you're only using a small piece the hydraulics will pull the roller down on the side without the same thickness and can cause issues.

In regards to the straight edge, we cut everything on the side, just turn the work as needed - I'm 6' 4" with a large wingspan and even I can't reach all the way across anyway. To be honest, we try to minimize cutting as much as possible as the more you cut, the faster you wear out the cutting mat.

Signed Out

Who are you all purchasing your CWT tables from? CWT directly or from a dealer? I see on their website they have a new model, the evolution. Looks pretty slick.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Who are you all purchasing your CWT tables from? CWT directly or from a dealer? I see on their website they have a new model, the evolution. Looks pretty slick.
The Evo electric table is pretty slick. It is a little pricier but there are a lot of financing deals at the moment. The Platinum and the 1640 get placed a lot. I attached some more details about the Evo table for reference if anyone was interested. We wanted to take it to shows more but this year hasn't panned out that way. It is better to be safe though.

Attachments

• CWT EVO.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 541