• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Declining jobs based on moral/ethical grounds

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
cordless.jpeg

ProSignTN

They won't scare and run away, they'll just faint from the smell and hopefully they faint before they see all the skid marks.
Come on Gino, 21 foot rule. I learned the knife as a farm boy, Uncle Sam taught me the throwing star. Anybody ever actually rolled up up you? Hit with a tire iron?

AndyN

Wow, lots of strong opinions here. I don't judge and have taken many jobs that I despise, but don't regret feeding my family on someone's views. We have the luxury of the first amendment and your view is as valid as mine.

I won't get into Schweddy balls...

DAVID MARSHALL

As a business owner, what's your stance on accepting or declining jobs for personal reasons? A moral or ethical dilemma. As a basic example, getting a request to bid on a large signage project for an abortion clinic, which goes against your religion or personal beliefs. Or getting requests for political signage for a candidate you simply don't support.
Do you take the job, because a job is a job and it's profitable for your business, or do you pass, knowing another sign shop will have no problem with it and get the job.

I'm new in business and would like to hear your experiences and opinions.
I walk away from jobs with bad design. Sooner or later, someone will look at that job, know that it looks like crap and ask who did it. People don't separate the design from the workmanship and will assume that we did the design as well as the production. I work on the principle that with signage, regardless of production values the job is only as effective as the design. I don't do rubbish work, I send that to "competitors."

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Its a valid question, one of the many considerations... are your employees who will also be influenced by your decisions...do they share your beliefs??

Steve-P

As a business owner, what's your stance on accepting or declining jobs for personal reasons? A moral or ethical dilemma. As a basic example, getting a request to bid on a large signage project for an abortion clinic, which goes against your religion or personal beliefs. Or getting requests for political signage for a candidate you simply don't support.
Do you take the job, because a job is a job and it's profitable for your business, or do you pass, knowing another sign shop will have no problem with it and get the job.

I'm new in business and would like to hear your experiences and opinions.
As for the moral dilemma, if you want to "bow out gracefully", just price it so high that you know they'll go with another bid. If you somehow still end up getting the job, just farm it out to another shop. As for political signage, I personally have no problem making signs for someone who supports a candidate that I don't, because in the end it's taking money "from the other side" and putting it in my pocket, and I like taking money from people who support the other guy.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I walk away from jobs with bad design. Sooner or later, someone will look at that job, know that it looks like crap and ask who did it. People don't separate the design from the workmanship and will assume that we did the design as well as the production. I work on the principle that with signage, regardless of production values the job is only as effective as the design. I don't do rubbish work, I send that to "competitors."
I'm in a small town so everyone knows who did what. Once I had a guy come to me that owned 3 businesses. He wanted all three businesses on his car...it was horrifying!!!! I bid it really high, someone else did it and it's just atrocious!!!!

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
Are you the business owner? As the owner, you decided everything. If you don't want to take the job, don't. You don't have to confer or ask someone permission to decline work.. you just do it. If you're afraid of the repercussions, do so in a covert way. Thankfully, the supreme court is keeping Texas abortion ban law in place, so the only thing we have to make for them is "Permanently Closed" signs... which I will happily do.
Really sad to see such strong, close-minded views and support on a sign forum about the rights that people feel they have over others…

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm in a small town so everyone knows who did what. Once I had a guy come to me that owned 3 businesses. He wanted all three businesses on his car...it was horrifying!!!! I bid it really high, someone else did it and it's just atrocious!!!!
Now that you have your own printer this could work for you as a nitch segment. Just need to figure a way to do it as a second anonymous business that can't be traced back to you.

Atrocious Print and Design
'We do what others dare not do'

PatriotWorks

I fire customers all the time. Some fire me. Fine by me.
Nobody tells me what I can or can't print.
I'm comfortable with death threats for printing pieces containing moral or constitutional content.
I'll print nothing for America's enemy within.

mim

0_o
A few years ago I abruptly 'quit' a job I was doing for a client. He was extremely bizarre and not all there, I decided to google him and found out he was on the S.O. Registry with crimes against children. He flipped out and said he could sue me, I was new to working with clients directly and basically just ghosted him and hoped for the best. Is that true that he could have sued me?

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I could say the same thing about a person who decides that someone God has created doesn't need to exist anymore.
How about my niece who is a rape baby left to be raised by her grandparents and has tried to commit suicide twice in the last 6 months? Kid is about to be a teen and wants to know who her dad is and it is her Mom who needs to be the one to tell her.

Your statement is disgustingly simple on this subject. I am sorry your dry-ass nuts couldn't get your wife knocked up easily, but you need to widen your perspective more than your eyes.

Eidted to Add: If you followed your own beliefs you would have realized you God did not want you to have children! You went IVF to carry own your selfish desire to continue a blood lineage your God tried to end!

Last edited:

binki

We have turned down a few things in the past, mostly around counterfeit products. We really don't get those requests any more. Our customers are either repeat or referral.

I would turn down anything that is illegal or associated with someone or a group that is associated with crime. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How about my niece who is a rape baby left to be raised by her grandparents and has tried to commit suicide twice in the last 6 months? Kid is about to be a teen and wants to know who her dad is and it is her Mom who needs to be the one to tell her.

Your statement is disgustingly simple on this subject. I am sorry your dry-*** nuts couldn't get your wife knocked up easily, but you need to widen your perspective more than your eyes.

Eidted to Add: If you followed your own beliefs you would have realized you God did not want you to have children! You went IVF to carry own your selfish desire to continue a blood lineage your God tried to end!
If only your mother had the same passion and belief you wouldn't be here arguing with me.