• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Declining jobs based on moral/ethical grounds

gnubler

As a business owner, what's your stance on accepting or declining jobs for personal reasons? A moral or ethical dilemma. As a basic example, getting a request to bid on a large signage project for an abortion clinic, which goes against your religion or personal beliefs. Or getting requests for political signage for a candidate you simply don't support.
Do you take the job, because a job is a job and it's profitable for your business, or do you pass, knowing another sign shop will have no problem with it and get the job.

I'm new in business and would like to hear your experiences and opinions.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I had a similar experience when I first started 16 years ago.

The choice is totally up to you....you can choose to offer an explanation and give your reasons, or you can simply no-quote and move on.

I'm probably 10% cerebral. For me, it's more than "just a job" to do. I have no qualms about turning down such work, even if the money was needed. More times than not, something better usually comes along to make up for it.

JB

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Work is work.
If you don't take it, someone else will.
Religious or personal beliefs are just that... beliefs...
How about all the greenpeace people getting signs printed on corrugated plastic? Ethically, cardboard and hand paint will suffice. Printing is not very eco friendly if you don't do your bit. And most print shops don't.

SignosaurusRex

You, and only YOU can decide what is moral or ethical when it comes to you and your business. If you need help with that, than you have bigger dilemmas to get a grip on.
Only You can establish your moral and ethical compass. Only you can read it. Choose your paths carefully and wisely... be prepared to walk them. Success or failure rests squarely on your shoulders alone.
Bear in mind... should you decline any particular job, for any reason, you must deeply consider why, when and how to do so. Failure to consider the hows and whys could land you in a brutal legal case that can and/or possibly destroy not only your business, but your personal life as well. We live in brutal times in a brutal world.

Last edited:

victor bogdanov

The easiest way to decline a job you don't want to do for whatever reason is to bid a little higher and give a little longer lead time to finish. That we you aren't even declining, the customer is less likely to go with you.

I think it is important to stand behind your moral and ethical beliefs, very few people have the guts to take a stand if you take a look at how compliant people are with what is going on today. Everyone way too scared to lose their paycheck and will line up like sheep and comply....

rjssigns

As long as it's something I'd show to friends and family I'll do it.
Example: I have my own political views but that doesn't stop me from working with left, right or middle.

But...If you're going to lie awake at night worrying about the consequences of your actions it is best to decline and move on.

The above statements are a gross oversimplification in regards to the slippery slope of ethics and morals.

Stacey K

I like making signs
A few weeks ago I was at the grocery store and saw a "ban abortion van" it had a pretty grotesque vinyl wrap (I'm sure you can all imagine the photos on it). Although I did agree with some of what was posted, there's no way I could bring myself to wrap that van.

If the message is positive or funny, I have no issues even if it's not my candidate/belief. If the message is mean and nasty or rated R like that abortion van, I try to ignore their email or I don't call them back or just bid high or say you are not taking new orders. I'm leary about telling someone no because of my beliefs. That could land a person in trouble with a law suit. I just try to ignore such things and hope they go elsewhere, probably very bad advice but I have to think these people are pretty used to it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are you the business owner? As the owner, you decided everything. If you don't want to take the job, don't. You don't have to confer or ask someone permission to decline work.. you just do it. If you're afraid of the repercussions, do so in a covert way. Thankfully, the supreme court is keeping Texas abortion ban law in place, so the only thing we have to make for them is "Permanently Closed" signs... which I will happily do.

ikarasu

Let's view this from another angle.

As an owner... How would you feel if your employee refused to print or do something because it was against their belief? Would you be ok with it and work around them... Or get tired of it and hand them a pink slip?

There are more important things to worry about and fight for than a dumb sign.

Look at all the genocide going on in China right now, do you refuse to use anything made in china?

All the weapons your (and mine) government sells to third world countries with humans right issues... Do you protest that or even give it a second thought?

Work is work. If someone wanted me to vinyl a 50 ft penis on a building I'd probably say no because I wouldn't want to spend my days doing that.... But if Catholic, Satan worshipper, and agnostic walk into a sign shop... I'd collect every penny I could get from them. It's not like you're supporting their cause... You're getting paid to do a job, and if not you... Then that money will goto a shop that supports that kind of thing and keep them in business.

So if you want to stand on moral high ground and turn down work, send it on over!

victor bogdanov

Let's view this from another angle.

As an owner... How would you feel if your employee refused to print or do something because it was against their belief? Would you be ok with it and work around them... Or get tired of it and hand them a pink slip?

Stuff like this brings up bigger issues than just signs. There are companies and governments forcing their employees to undergo an irreversible medical procedure just to keep their job, it is important to stand up for your beliefs or others' beliefs will be forced on you

Johnny Best

"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.”

Signage falls under the Caesar part. God just give signs, you make them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doing honest work equates to doing things on the up & up. Having morals just means you have reasons you want to express for doing so.

I have no problem(s) doing the right thing for my reasons. They happen to fit into your category as being moral, but I don't have the need to advertise what I did or why.

And while you're at it, I think I know more people who claim to have morals, but really don't. Is that due to morals on the lower side of the scale........ not knowing any better......... or just a phony ??

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'd do a job for the prince of freaking darkness as long as they payed. I make signs, my lack of interest in what those signs might say or who's paying the bill approaches total. This does not mean that I'm somehow immoral and/or unethical. I save those battles for other arenas.

victor bogdanov

I'd do a job for the prince of freaking darkness as long as they payed. I make signs, my lack of interest in what those signs might say or who's paying the bill approaches total. This does not mean that I'm somehow immoral and/or unethical. I save those battles for other arenas.
You get an order for some swasticka stickers, you printing?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back to the statement of employees doing work asked of them or not ?? They have the ability to say, sorry boss, I cannot do this in good conscience. therefore I'll hafta quit. I can't tell ya how many jobs come through our shop in the last 40 years that made me quiver, but if the employees rise up against it, that is insubordination and I don't tolerate it from someone who I am paying to rent their hands, legs and ability. If ya wanna get funny, I am not renting the part of the mind that plays head games. Just the part for what it takes to work in our shop.

How many swastikas have you been asked to print ?? Swastikas are used in many many parts of the world. They not only associated with hitler and his regime.

While we're on it, will you make signs for muslims ?? How 'bout Juche or for that matter, who put you in charge of asking silly questions like that ?? Does that mean we're all supposed to follow you and your beliefs. Is that how it works in your world.