• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Declining jobs based on moral/ethical grounds

eggnog316

I think most of us would be out of business if we let morals affect our business to that degree.

A big portion of my recent clients have been young, trust-fund d-bags who need packaging for their line of vapes, CBD or THC related crap, or whatever the fad of the month is. And pretty much every single one of them is a ripping off an established brand. They'll steal the artwork and logos, bring in the actual product in from China, and then buy the packaging from us.

It's not my obligation to verify the trademarks and copyrights of the artwork being sent to me. The artwork comes in, the check clears/wire comes through, and I start printing.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I won't put my brand/name or advertise that we produced political or potentially offensive products. I'd rather steer clear of it all and just put my head down, work and collect the check. But I hate it when people feel so passionate about their sticker or sign that they have to explain it or ask my opinion on it. :doh:

d fleming

Ironically driving 3 hours away to install a planned parenthood sign today. One of my guys started to b*tch when the job came up, hollered up something fierce in the shop, then stopped and said, "but I bet these dumbasses who want to save the babies aren't going to adopt them anyways." He's not political, unless it's to stir someone's pot. He made the sign, no more comments. Though we did send the poles up to get set before the sign. Didn't want a concrete truck driver to refuse to pour or anything...

What, like this?
1920px-Flag_of_the_Schutzstaffel.svg.png

If so I'd not so kindly decline myself, that's the nazi military police that would haul off the Jews and the like... Fun fact, in Germany you can get arrested for sporting such logos.
Yep, that's the one. She made the same assumption you did about that on a Harley breather cover. It's the company logo that makes them. For the record the first time I saw it I thought the same thing, nazi garbage. That I have turned down in the past. This was close until I took the time to research it a bit. Had it done for the guy somewhere else no problem. I have printed for so many special interest groups over the years it's ridiculous. Nothing outright terrible but close depending on your own views. All their money was green.

CanuckSigns

Yep, that's the one. She made the same assumption you did about that on a Harley breather cover. It's the company logo that makes them. For the record the first time I saw it I thought the same thing, nazi garbage. That I have turned down in the past. This was close until I took the time to research it a bit. Had it done for the guy somewhere else no problem. I have printed for so many special interest groups over the years it's ridiculous. Nothing outright terrible but close depending on your own views. All their money was green.
Yeah The SS bolt pattern is a nazi symbol from the second world war, some biker groups have used it over the years as a sort of "symbol of non-conformance" and to try to look tough, but it's completely a nazi symbol, and seeing as I have grandparents that both fought and died at the hands of the Nazi's I would kick someone out of my shop so fast if they came in with that s**t

victor bogdanov

Sounds like signs like these will have to problem getting printed today. This employee in 2021 was also just seeing green $$$ I bet

Denver public school, 2021

I would say GTFO if someone asked me to print a sign like this but most here would just see $$$$$$

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 190

Stacey K

I like making signs
All this SS talk just reminded me...last year I had a biker come in looking for some shirts, he was creeping me out, starting hitting on me and talking about his wife problems, then later that night was texting me about her - I ignored him. The next day I told him I was too busy to make the shirts and referred him down the road. I was kinda scared for a while his wife would see those texts and come after me. He must be smart enough to have deleted them. I think it was soon after that I bought a can of Raid for my desk since I don't have a gun.

Sometimes you can decline a job based on the creepiness of people, not just the job they present to you.

victor bogdanov

Unfortunately, once we sell a set of marquee letters, their orientation is out of our control. Though one could start holding back certain letters if they reckon they will be used for racist purposes. The downside is that there are so many racists words, you'd only be giving them numbers...
They could've ordered a banner and most here would print it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have a .357 in my desk, loaded with 2 speed rounds next to it, a 38" louisville slugger by my door and a .38 S&W in my vehicle. The world is changing.

357 mag.jpg

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
money is money. I am not about to die on a hill because of my beliefs. I've made stickers for someone who was prolife and taking their stickers to the state capitol to fight for pro life. I've also made shirts for people that said, "F the police". I believe total opposites of both of those agendas. But the money was good for both of them so I did it. I just didn't advertise it.

I also made "Lets go brandon" stickers and gave them out. People were taking them like crazy.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I also made "Lets go brandon" stickers and gave them out. People were taking them like crazy.
I've seen those! wtf does it mean? I've seen them on cars, and I get spam email at work that has that line "lets go Brandon" in the jibberish. I delete them because, well, spam.

edit, I just googled it. LMAO

Last edited:

gnubler

Not to be a gun nut, but seeing as how you are a sole proprietor with a storefront, I see a problem here...
Ditto. Loaded pistol under the front counter and a machete in one of the offices. If guns are too much a liability, bear spray is good, or spray paint for identification purposes.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I drop my pants and get immediate respect. No need for all of this.
Oh, I do have a machete at the side door but it's for cutting the fence line and I put it there so it doesn't get lost