• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design/Build: Collaboration

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
This isn't a sales pitch...

I just read this article from a linked-in group:

http://weidnerca.com/blog/5-reasons-why-design-build-is-rapidly-growing-in-construction/

A few can do these projects so this part may be
common knowledge but large apartment projects
can run into 6 figures easily. Many want custom
signage throughout the interior and exterior.

Gigi and I are transitioning into this. So far
it's been a bumpy ride while we are saving up for
fabrication equipment. Some of companies we work
for handle projects without any process, some don't
even read our sign call-outs. We get paid, but there
is a lot frustration.

A few frustrations are, we're not always involved in the
design pitch, and initial visits with the client that would help
design the job. Many times the shop interpret the clients
needs. We deal with personalities that are not easy to
work with. (no communication, micromanage, tempers,
spouses arguing) Not all are like that but enough for our work
is not as as profitable or rewarding. Gigi and I and another
design firm realized that we have allowed our partners
(fabricators) to have more control over our business than
we prefer.

While we go through the process of getting a contractors licensed we
have decided to find partners (fabricators) that are easier to work with.

Clients may be from our sales efforts, of the fabricators. The designers
have a specific role, the fabricator/instalers has theirs, the fabricator
usually handles the contract (design, fab and install)

We are making a few pitches to fabricators so...

What would be your concerns if you considered partnering with a sign
design firm. What would information would you need to alleviate
those concerns?

Thanks...

rjssigns

Single point of contact for all questions/requests/issues. Far too often things get passed off to whoever happened to show up for work that day. This leads to details getting missed or lost altogether.

CanuckSigns

Not sure how relevant my concerns would be as I have only worked with an architect in these situations. However my main concerns when dealing with architects would be:

1. spec'ing product that either don't exist or are extremely difficult to source.
2. not being open to reasonable suggestions (God complex)

GypsyGraphics

My two biggest frustrations have been, walking into meeting with our client (as part of their team) and finding out pertinent information we'd ask for, regarding the potential clients expectations and even the project itself, where either miscommunicated to us or what seems to be the case more often.... never requested by our client in the first place. Nothing worse than walking into a meeting misinformed.

I take that back. Worse than walking into a meeting misinformed is.... frustration number two...
watching huge jobs be lost before your very eyes, knowing it's happening... all because the owner wants to maintain the illusion that they are directly involved and often even responsible for aspects they were not. They forget that they are the OWNERS, the face of the company, they don't have to and shouldn't be answering all the questions. Isn't what we're brought into meeting for... to address our areas of expertise or the portion of the project we are responsible for?

Recently, walking out of a meeting, pitching to win a very cool job, the owner said "I think that went well" and talked about our next pitch to them. Getting in the car, I said to Rick... "we must have been in different meetings? THAT job was just LOST, there won't be another meeting."