• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Diamond Grade Reflective cutting

AWeaver

I have the new Graphtec FC9000-160 plotter and need help with settings for cutting Diamond Grade Reflective lettering. I purchased what I was told that I needed to cut the vinyl, but still having issues.
I have the PHP33-CB15N-HS cutter plunger using the CB15UA blade. Force:32, Speed:10, Acceration:1.
Is there anything else I need to set to get a proper cut. Attached photo shows I still have some residual white left after cutting. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Diamond_Grade_Refl.jpg
    Diamond_Grade_Refl.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 589

MikePro

i struggled to cut it on my plotter.... aside from being super dense/thick media, the liner sucks.... the second you score it with a blade, its cut.
we UV print on diamond-grade now, but for the project I HAD to make it work for contourcut lettering, I laminated the material onto scrap plastic liner from trans. 3M viniyl and did a "double cut" by exporting two letters on top of each other. the first pass scores the vinyl, and the second pass completes the cut. The clear liner allowed for a little more buffer in my blade pressure, and I was able to dial it in so that the blade would score but not cut it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You will probably have a better time with the CB15UA-K30 blade. It's 60 degree angle is better for thicker materials. Your blade is 45 degrees which is good for about .5mm thick materials whereas the 60 degree is good for up to 1.5mm.

AWeaver

Thx, I'll give the other blade a shot. I thought the K30 was just for Sandblast Material, but at this point, I'm open to trying anything.

Joe House

You'll also want as many pinch wheels on the reflective as you can fit. We usually add one or two extras when selling these plotters to a road sign shop. Then, make sure you get the blade depth set correctly and make sure your blade isn't chipped or worn. The new loupe that comes with these plotters is great for setting the depth and inspecting the blade.

Good Luck

Robert Gruner

I have the new Graphtec FC9000-160 plotter and need help with settings for cutting Diamond Grade Reflective lettering. I purchased what I was told that I needed to cut the vinyl, but still having issues.
I have the PHP33-CB15N-HS cutter plunger using the CB15UA blade. Force:32, Speed:10, Acceration:1.
Is there anything else I need to set to get a proper cut. Attached photo shows I still have some residual white left after cutting. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.
A Weaver,

When you say Diamond Grade, I'm assuming you are referring to 3M DG3 Reflective Sheeting Series 4000? If that is the case, sadly, you will never have a whole lot of success digitally roll printing with HP Latex or cutting with Summa, Graphtec, or any roll cutter. The material will not track on roll cutters. Dealers are inclined to tell you whatever helps them sell. Ask your manufacturer and they will tell you same. You should check with your client and see if they will accept 3M Hogh Intensity Prismatic Reflective Sheeting series 3930. This product is close to same as Diamond Grade for Reflectivity. You can easily print on the product. In addition, you can cut this product on your Graphtec roll cutter. If you print from HP Latex 365 using SAI/3M Traffic RIP onto 3M 3930 and laminate with 3M 1170, you can offer your client up to Ten Years 3M outdoor warranty from fading. If you must; however, cut 3M Diamond Grade (4000 Series) then I would suggest you invest in a Summa F1612 flatbed cutter for aroun $50K...It will cut Diamond Grade like a hot knife cuts butter. Good luck my friend.
Bob in Houston
Thanks in advance.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Thx, I'll give the other blade a shot. I thought the K30 was just for Sandblast Material, but at this point, I'm open to trying anything.

I would actually use the CB15UA 45 degree blade if you are going to try a different blade. Per Graphtec's site the CB15UA 45 degree blade is a "Supersteel blade for cutting high-intensity reflective film or harder film". That said, I would have to agree with other recommendations made here like applying EC film over the top of the reflective sheeting or using a flatbed cutter like the Summa F1612 to cut the diamond grade if that is a requirement.

Feel free to send me a PM or an email to philj@airmark.com if you would like to pick my brain on this.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Robert Gruner

I would actually use the CB15UA 45 degree blade if you are going to try a different blade. Per Graphtec's site the CB15UA 45 degree blade is a "Supersteel blade for cutting high-intensity reflective film or harder film". That said, I would have to agree with other recommendations made here like applying EC film over the top of the reflective sheeting or using a flatbed cutter like the Summa F1612 to cut the diamond grade if that is a requirement.

Feel free to send me a PM or an email to philj@airmark.com if you would like to pick my brain on this.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com
Hey Phil...I lead more than a few clients your way as I respect your knowledge. I know Airmark is a relatively new Graphtec dealer and that your real expertise with cutters is Summa drag and tangetial. Bottom line with this client however is the substrate. Graphtec's advertisement that "Supersteel blade for cutting high intensity reflective film or harder film". High Intensity yes! 3M Part number 3930! Both Graphtec and Summa cut fine. or harder? NO. 3M 4000 series does not cut well on any roll cutter and it is difficult to print onto using anybodys digital inkjet printer. If 3M Series 4000 is mandated then Summa F1612 is best bet for cutting letters et al.
Weaver, like Phil noted, you want to learn all about making Traffic Signs, feel free to call me.

Regards,

Bob Gruner
TraffiCAD
832-977-5140

Robert Gruner

Big Easy,

Yes sir, if you have a very small amount of cutting of 3M Diamond Grade (4000 Series) mostly straight lines...add additional pinch wheels and cut very slowly. Even then many users experience slippage causing circles et al not to close. I have experience with end users who make a living cutting Diamond Grade Highway Gothic Letters...they all use a flatbed.