• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Differences between these two Rolands?

FatCat

As it stands, I've been steadily narrowing down my choices for a printer. I want to stay in the 54" range and prefer the print/cut systems made by Roland. I have pretty much ruled out an SP-540 due to its slower printing speeds and older technology and an XC-540 is just too far out of my price range.

So, my choices (and budget) have come down to either a refurb VP-540 or a used Soljet SC-545. The VP's biggest upside is it is newer technology and comes with a 1 year warranty. The soljet is more of a "production" machine with faster printing and it also comes with a take-up reel which I could see being a big plus on some jobs. I've found lots of detailed info. on the VP-540, but not as much on the SC-545. So now I've come back to the experts to aid in my decision.

If you had to choose, which one and why? :thumb:

Last edited:

signguy95

you will use the take up reel more than you think...

Any thing over 4' (which is pretty common) for me would drag the ground if I didn't have a take up reel. It's a must, maybe not at first, but it will be!

Before we bought our mimaki, I was looking at the XC, the SC would probably be a good machine, but I think if you could find a demo or used XC you would not regret getting it, in the long run.

Jay

Letterbox Mike

What's your budget Fat Cat? There are some smoking deals out there right now on used machines. We just picked up a brand new 63" Mimaki JV33 for $16k, and almost pulled the trigger on the 64" Roland VersaArt, had one for $15,500. That's probably a bit more than a used or refurb unit, but dealer suport and a good new factory warranty are worth their weight in gold.

D

Digitall

The VP-540 with the new software upgrade is running much faster under most conditions than the specs show. We do not use our take up reel as much as we thought we might except on long runs with High heat, we prefer a table setup we built, same as with laminating. We are very happy with our VP for it's intended use. Good Luck

FatCat

Budget-wise I'm trying to stay around $15k-ish, but might be willing to go a little higher on the right deal. I have found refurb. VP's in that range, just no take-up reel - so I would have to budget for that later or try to get by as long with some kind of table setup for a while.

Insignia, shoot me a PM on who had that VersaArt. Would love to know the details if they're local.

cdiesel

With ISA just ending, I'd get on the phone with some of the companies that exhibited and see if they have any show specials going on. I know Denco had a special on the Epson 6000 for $17,900 (MSRP is $27,900 or $28,900, can't remember which).
We've owned (and own) three Rolands and have never needed any major service.

CustomRide

As it stands, I've been steadily narrowing down my choices for a printer. I want to stay in the 54" range and prefer the print/cut systems made by Roland. I have pretty much ruled out an SP-540 due to its slower printing speeds and older technology and an XC-540 is just too far out of my price range.

So, my choices (and budget) have come down to either a refurb VP-540 or a used Soljet SC-545. The VP's biggest upside is it is newer technology and comes with a 1 year warranty. The soljet is more of a "production" machine with faster printing and it also comes with a take-up reel which I could see being a big plus on some jobs. I've found lots of detailed info. on the VP-540, but not as much on the SC-545. So now I've come back to the experts to aid in my decision.

If you had to choose, which one and why? :thumb:

Were right down the road and got a XC and RS lam for a smokin price right now...even comes with a take-up reel too. Check out the classifieds here. I think we have under 17 hrs of printing on our machine.:omg2: Still under warranty and an additional year is $1300.

advsign22

I used the SC-545EX with the take up reel and loved it. I loved it so much when I closed my shop, I moved the printer home and had the Roland Tech come and set it up for storage. When I return to the states one day, I plan on dusting it off and going back at it with that machine.
In the past I have printed wraps overnight. Set the machine up, watch it print enough to start it on the take up reel, then leave and come back the next morning with the printing complete.
Ken

dolce05

my vp kicks ass....take up reel is a must...its only 1,500.00 dollars....you'll make that ten fold...every month you sit on a decision is another month you loose money ...go buy a machine and make money...which ever you choose "make it" the right decision. The 1 year warranty makes the vp a no brainer....let me know how you like it...enjoy.

anotherdog

if its just the cost of the takeup, make your own. $5.
Since the design computers are in the print room our printer almost never prints alone. Someone just gives the tube a wind every few minutes.

Not as good as a full OEM reel, but it works.

Attachments

• takeup2.jpg
    takeup2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 66