• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Media Translucent Referral

craigwojo

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a cheap alternative for digital media (eco-solvent) for my customers that want a cheaper price on their backlit signage. What would recommend and which vendor would you buy from. Currently, I'm using Solvex-TV from Fellers for about 330.00 a roll 56" x 150' for my cheaper translucent brand.

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

2B

It is more about what is available from vendors

In a pinch, you can print to Lamination, can't say this suggested.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are ways to save your customer money, other than going with an inferior product. The life expectancy of a backlit now is about 4 or 5 years. That's with a laminate. According to which way the sign faces could possibly shorten that further. If you wanna cheap out for your customer, lessen your installation costs or your production costs or something YOU have control over, not use a cheaper product. If this is an indoor backlit, then there are other alternatives.

CanuckSigns

$330 a roll for translucent is a really good price! For backlit projects, the cost of the vinyl is a vey small expense, it's all labour!

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

gnubler

The life expectancy of a backlit now is about 4 or 5 years. That's with a laminate. According to which way the sign faces could possibly shorten that further. If you wanna cheap out for your customer, lessen your installation costs or your production costs or something YOU have control over, not use a cheaper product.
Perfect timing, I was about to post a similar new thread. I have a customer balking about a quote I gave him on a backlit sign. It's 6 x 4 ft and about 20 ft high on a building, east facing. It was last done in 2013 and looks like crap, burned and peeling vinyl. I told him the lifespan of these signs is about 5-7 years, was I correct? Are there any options I can offer him to extend the lifespan of the sign to help justify the cost?

Z SIGNS

Don't worry about or search for cheaper materials to make your signs because cheap materials are harder to work with and the the cost of the materials should only be a fraction of what the sign sells for.
Why would you not want to make your signs from the best material available?

gnubler

The backlit sign I'm quoting is several elements of printed vinyl. Would it lengthen the lifespan if I put a laminate over the vinyl? It would at least helping with peeling edges, right?

gnubler

That's a great idea, I'll look into that. I outsource my printing and was going to run this through S365, who uses Oracal/Orajet Clear.