• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Direct Print By the Piece Coro?

Drmdetermined

I'm checking out all of the Trade Only Print Vendors, but having a hard time finding someone that ships by the piece instead of by the sheet. We're cool with ordering a sheets at a time if needed, but need to be able to blind ship different pieces from the sheet to different customer addresses. Anyone know a company that provides by the piece or split shipping services?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Why not ship it all to you and you break it up? Sounds like a real loser to me. That's not really the role of a wholesale printer, that's the retail side.

Drmdetermined

Why not ship it all to you and you break it up? Sounds like a real loser to me. That's not really the role of a wholesale printer, that's the retail side.
Because the cost to ship for us is much higher than the cost of our wholesalers. We were told to check this route via our Fedex account manager.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I just re-read the OP... are you saying it's cheaper to ship a whole 8x4' sheet than to ship say - (4) 24x36" signs?

Drmdetermined

Not at all. Contour cut pieces under 45inches. Most large size Trade-Only shipping companies receive discounts based on the amount of shipping they do. So a business our size would pay 3-4 time the shipping cost as a wholesaler, again based on volume of shipping. It would cost our company $45 to 2-day ship what it costs a large Trade-Only company $15 to ship 1 day.

Drmdetermined

Either bring it in-house and set up a real account with a shipping company or just keep paying through the nose.
That's about what we're figuring out at this point. In-house isn't possible currently, but would be the dream. Our customer base would grow substantially if we could figure out the single piece avenue without having to double their price with increased shipping charges. Just don't know how to make it happen yet. Contacted several printers today, one might be a go.

Notarealsignguy

Then your business model is flawed. Being in business is about being capable of doing the work and doing it at a marketable rate which you can't do. You're asking how to blind ship individual signs that are the absolute bottom of the barrel (coro) without touching them, at a price that is on par with a wholesaler. It's time to go back to the drawing board. You would be hard pressed to even find a local person that would make you a single coro sign under 4x8 let alone do it at a price that you could sell it for.

Drmdetermined

Incorrect. Again. I would not be selling at complete wholesaler price. I never said that at all. The way you read into things is skewed. Second comment in a row.

Notarealsignguy

Incorrect. Again. I would not be selling at complete wholesaler price. I never said that at all. The way you read into things is skewed. Second comment in a row.
It's not skewed. You want to sell individual cheapo signs but buy them wholesale rather than make them and can't compete.
You want the package price but buy them one by one. You can buy single signs on S365 and have them shipped but you want a discount. You're an idiot. I'm sorry that other people here pussy foot around it and try to be nice. You have no concept of how or why a wholesale model works. If you want 100 signs that say 100 different things and shipped to 100 different people then it's not 100 signs anymore. It is 1 sign shipped once, 100 times. Big difference

Boudica

Good point. Even if you upgrade your capabilities, you still need to sell/produce enough to pay for those upgrades. It takes a while, and you can't afford be the cheapest option. It will still cost you more than a large wholesale supplier. Initially...

Notarealsignguy

Let's make another example that you might be able to wrap your little head around. Let's say you want to sell "I did that" stickers online. Do you think you can go to stickermule and buy a roll of 1000 and somehow get them to ship them one by one as you sell them on Etsy?

Boudica

Let's make another example that you might be able to wrap your little head around. Let's say you want to sell "I did that" stickers online. Do you think you can go to stickermule and buy a roll of 1000 and somehow get them to ship them one by one as you sell them on Etsy?
Also a good point. We (now) have the capability to produce what we once had to outsource to sticker mule. Yes, we can do that. It's not the cheapest "deal" you might find. But we have customers that want to keep it local, and they will pay. Others... We do a LOT of big projects for them, they like us, we like them and we can do these projects (usually silly one - offs) because they throw so much business our way. And they pay for our quality. They don't have time to call around for The cheapest deal. They know we will take care of them.

Drmdetermined

There are literally already printers doing this for the industry our business is in. People go to those able to sell individual signs so they can buy 3-4 pieces instead of a full sheet of graphics now to cut their inventory costs. The 4 pieces fit on a half a sheet. Two others may order 2 pieces each which fits on quarter sheets, now equalling a full sheet. The artists nest the graphics ordered, make the cut file, then pay a fee $5.00-10.00 for split ship, plus the shipping charge for each box that needs to be shipped (3). So the regular sheet print price, plus split ship cost, plus three shipping charges. The printer doesn't lose money on this at all. I don't know what the issue is. We're not talk 1000 orders. We're talking max 8 and the shipping charge is multiplied based on how many orders are shipped out. This is already being done, I'm just trying to figure which printers are already using this model so we can use their services for our graphics.

Shipping directly from the printer saves our customers time who need these items for last minute events. Shipping to us first slows the time it takes to get to the end user, plus doubles their shipping costs. In these economic times we don't want to do that to our customers who aren't able to afford full sheets of the graphics they need anymore.

I don't have a little brain, I know my industry and know some of my competitors have already been working with printers that do this. I'm trying to stay competitive as well and find a printer who will split ship as well.

Notarealsignguy

There are literally already printers doing this for the industry our business is in. People go to those able to sell individual signs so they can buy 3-4 pieces instead of a full sheet of graphics now to cut their inventory costs. The 4 pieces fit on a half a sheet. Two others may order 2 pieces each which fits on quarter sheets, now equalling a full sheet. The artists nest the graphics ordered, make the cut file, then pay a fee $5.00-10.00 for split ship, plus the shipping charge for each box that needs to be shipped (3). So the regular sheet print price, plus split ship cost, plus three shipping charges. The printer doesn't lose money on this at all. I don't know what the issue is. We're not talk 1000 orders. We're talking max 8 and the shipping charge is multiplied based on how many orders are shipped out. This is already being done, I'm just trying to figure which printers are already using this model so we can use their services for our graphics.

Shipping directly from the printer saves our customers time who need these items for last minute events. Shipping to us first slows the time it takes to get to the end user, plus doubles their shipping costs. In these economic times we don't want to do that to our customers who aren't able to afford full sheets of the graphics they need anymore.

I don't have a little brain, I know my industry and know some of my competitors have already been working with printers that do this. I'm trying to stay competitive as well and find a printer who will split ship as well.
If you know so much then why are you asking? I didn't say your brain was little, I just insinuated it was simple and challenged. It's not nice to say retard anymore so I kept that part to myself.
Good luck in your quest to find a unicorn so you can sell last minute onsie twosie coroplast signs, that you don't make, or touch, or ship. They're out there I know it, I just can't find them.