• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question do we need a police car?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
if i am going to change sign face on a small illuminated "billboard" type sign on a pole approaching a u-turn ramp, do i need to have a police car behind the bucket truck? or can we simply put out a string of orange cones , reflective triangles & have a "flagman" behind us?

if yes, typically are you paying a flat rate for the entire day? would i approach local police?
it is on a state highway

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
As far as I know, every state is different. You may want to consult a local traffic control company, they would know how to proceed and also rent the stuff you need. Some states require crash trucks too

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much what he said.

Is this a billboard or you just used that terminology ?? Reason being is...... most sign shops are not permitted to work on static or digital billboards. When you apply for your permits and whatnot, they'll probably ask you these questions and you fill in the blanks. You, being in jersey, will probably hafta jump through lotsa hoops.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Call your local police department and ask them what to do. I had to setup a bucket truck in a turning lane to get to a gas station sign and asked them if I could block it for a few hours. They checked with their boss and said it was fine and we used traffic cones.

I've seen them sit behind a bucket truck changing out over the road event banners.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much what he said.

Is this a billboard or you just used that terminology ?? Reason being is...... most sign shops are not permitted to work on static or digital billboards. When you apply for your permits and whatnot, they'll probably ask you these questions and you fill in the blanks. You, being in jersey, will probably hafta jump through lotsa hoops.

my client owns a hotel.
he is re-branding, getting rid of franchise company and those costs.
the sign is approx 8' x 14' bottom of sign about 10' high
his company name is on the "identifier tag" on the pole coming out of the ground. i assumed we would be able to work on his sign.
it was a private "one up" hotel when he bought it. he changed, joining a franchise, but got no bump from it

so, no, it is not a billboard, it is a pole mounted illuminated sign

Rocco G

I'd check with the local police department first and they could tell you if you need to contact the state police. NJ is a home rule state and each and every one horse town has their own rules. Whenever we work in Atlantic City (at the outlets) and are in the street we have to hire an officer for the full day plus need a flashing arrow board. Some towns bill it at overtime as well. Best to ask and be sure. And even if it was a billboard that won't matter in eastern PA or NJ. I used to have the "billboard" license (outdoor advertising license to be specific) in Philly and all it required was paying the city their pound of flesh. We just got tired of arguing with clueless plan examiners who insisted that we needed that piece of paper and just paid the $175 every three years. They have since eliminated that "tax". In NJ and PA there is no state sign installers license, though I wish that there were, and anyone can work on a billboard - subject to local "give us your money" rules of course.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
thanks, rocco
i know about 12 years ago, they started purchasing the police cars by county, and leasing them to the municipalities
they were required to purchase so many extra cars, so overtime could be handed out for this sort of thing. i am sure
we will be required to pay for an 8 hr day. i was just curious if we had the ability to "opt out" at our own risk