• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you Laminate or not?

vinylink0331

Just wondering what percentage of the time you guys laminate? We do most of the time but I have got a piece that is around 81in long and I am honestly a little scared I might get it messed up. Our laminate is 30 in and so is the print, so it will have to go on perfect. The print is for the back of a box truck and I think it would be okay without lamination. You all know how lamination works, if it gets messed up we are going to have to reprint and then it want get out in time. The client needs the truck back today. So any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

CanuckSigns

if it's going on a truck you MUST laminate

the only thing we don't laminate is coroplast signs, as the unlaminated print will last longer than the substrate will.

rjssigns

Install then hit it with a coat of ClearShield. I apply with a 4" foam brush. Not an optimal situation, but you can turn the job and it will last.

vinylink0331

Has anyone ever used Super Frog out of an aerosol can? It is for digital prints but we have never used. Also, I only have 1 can. Anyone know how much it covers. Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One can will just barely do it, but I don't think it's the preferred method of choice in your situation.

Put it through and hope for the best.... or pre-cut it and use a 'Big Squeegee'.

If you knew going in, you only had 30" to play with, why didn't you design the print at 29" x 81" or so ??

jfiscus

Rap Master
Laminate it. Not sure how you'd install it without it, unless you're going to use transfer tape.

Is your printer only 30" wide? Even if you did have to reprint & laminate it again today; it would still last longer than the un-laminated one would.

As stated above; everything gets laminated here that goes outside except coroplast signs.

threeputt

This is amazing to me. We laminate everything.

The only exception at our shop would be the thick 6mil vinyl we use for short-term stickers.

Laminate everything that has to last, especially vehicles which endure harsh weather, sun, washing, etc.

vinylink0331

So glad I was able to amaze you 3putt. Thanks for the advice. Also, to the other comment, it is around 29.5. So not the entire 30. I am getting ready to run it through. Fingers crossed!!!!

dtdm

I used frog juice once... Never again.
Clear star is much better imo.
I laminate everything now with bs.

we used frog juice out of a can once.....our laminator was down again(our old diage). you have to be real careful! you need to make sure it goes on smoothly and hits the complete graphic or you will see streak marks if the light hits it right!

ChicagoGraphics

Just recently I let a friend use my laminator, he was using 30" film with 30" laminate only it was 30"x150' it went about 10 ft then started to skew, it was done on a GBC 65"
laminator.

If I were you I would get some larger lmainate and do it right the first time.

J Hill Designs

not a good idea to use solvent liquid lam on solvent prints. I save frog juice for my edge prints, and use clearshield (waterbased) for my solvent prints - frog juice is too 'hot' IMO

DRPSignsNGrafix

Just like most have said. Laminate everything going outdoors. Especially on a vehicle. I've used Frog juice and the Clear start in the can and the quart. Both work good in the right areas. For this laminate it. make sure your laminate is ran good on the load. then use a stop on one end of the roll of the print to make sure it doesn't walk.

vinylink0331

We did it!!

We finally decided just go for it. My husband is pretty good at lining it up straight so we just made sure it was straight as possible. I pulled on the output end while he fed it through and kept it straight. It did skew like 1/4in. but my print was 29 1/2 so we had a 1/2 in to play with. I always get nervous before laminating. We do laminate almost all of our digital prints and was curious about you guys. Thanks a lot for the feedback and suggestions.