• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you make/improve designs for customers or only take 100% ready to print files ?

Printer101

every single person:
" can you please turn this 3"x3" logo into 22 " wall decal ".
Do you trace it in illustrator or send them to find a designer, or charge them design fee ?
I have so many questions. Customers send over the shittiest jpgs and then I have to make it into a diamond somehow.
How exactly does it work. I'm only venting to you guys . I help all my customers and being nice. But I'm tired of remaking their "art " in illustrator.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Ha, deal with it everyday. Here lately been getting a lot of files designed in Canva and Canvas. Both programs have the ability to save as pdf but no one does. I have to explain to them why we're not printing their file.
Me: "Do you have the file in vector format i.e. pdf, eps, ai, MS Powerpoint, MS Word?"
Client: "Sure how's this?
Me: "You literally just inserted the jpg to a MS Word then save as pdf or used photoshop. That's not how it works."

Minor changes we'll do but, yeah, mention an art fee and they come up with something.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just had a woman ask if she could have a set of 24" x 60" magnetics and she sent me their logo. It was a jpeg about 1/2" square. She finally agreed to use just words, after I told her how much it would cost her to re-create it. Oh...... and she wants them tuesday by lunch.

gnubler

This has been going on for eternity. Back in the old days customer would fax over a fuzzy logo or whatever and want it printed. Now with Canva, Fiverr, and online design, graphic design services have been almost completely devalued and I usually bundle the estimated cost into my quotes so the customer can't pick it apart. I'm tired of explaining how it works, not worth the effort anymore.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
every single person:
" can you please turn this 3"x3" logo into 22 " wall decal ".
Do you trace it in illustrator or send them to find a designer, or charge them design fee ?
I have so many questions. Customers send over the shittiest jpgs and then I have to make it into a diamond somehow.
How exactly does it work. I'm only venting to you guys . I help all my customers and being nice. But I'm tired of remaking their "art " in illustrator.
Honestly... it depends on the customer, and the project. if it will make us money, or they are a good long standing customer - I'll just fix the problem. If it's a one-off-pita-job-that-will-loose-money... send it back.

Printer101

Ha, deal with it everyday. Here lately been getting a lot of files designed in Canva and Canvas. Both programs have the ability to save as pdf but no one does. I have to explain to them why we're not printing their file.
Me: "Do you have the file in vector format i.e. pdf, eps, ai, MS Powerpoint, MS Word?"
Me: "You literally just inserted the jpg to a MS Word then save as pdf or used photoshop. That's not how it works."

Minor changes we'll do but, yeah, mention an art fee and they come up with something.
Pdf and vector are extra and only comes with paid canva account. I'm thinking to have my own paid canva account. Just to download customers logos in vector .

Billct2

Here's a close up of what it will look like that big on a print, if you don't want that cr*ap then I will needa vecror pdf or high rs image file.
After they send the same file exported as a pdf, Sorry that's not how it works.
It will be $$ to recreate it.

pro-up

That is funny because we have encountered that in the past. Generally, we do not do designs. We work with sign companies and they bring us their designs (we do the data and submittal packages). I like Canva to use personally for projects where I don't want to bother a designer and just for meeting presentations. It makes sense that more people will use it to make their own sign designs.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It depends on your business.

We're a print only shop. We dont touch peoples files. only time is if we need to check and fix spot channels for cut paths and white ink. But we're building some automations around it to solve those issues.

MiguelGonzalez

Facing same problem every damn day, some cheap designer would design their stuff even logos on Photoshop and save it as low quality jpeg and png and the client proceeds to send them to me through WhatsApp which compressed everything. When i told them about the extra charge for retouch they'd say that crapy image is good enough. If they say so off to the printer it goes.

visual800

we have discussed this so many time and YES it gets worse every year. If it a good job I will recreate their logo to do my work BUT if they want my re-creation they are going to pay out of the ass! nd when I send them a quote they get the same crappy resolution jpeg they sent me BUT I let them know I did it in vector format

Most of the time their logo can be recreated as most of them are very simple and you can figure out the fonts. It makes me wonder if all the se folks are using free programs tht only allows them to have a jpeg

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
we probably work/adjust/improve on 75% of the jobs we take but most of our clients are referral or long standing customers (we don’t have much of a website so if they got our contact it was likely given to them by another customer). We charge accordingly and do our best to upsell add ons. We now send most of our logo redraws our and just tell them up front it’s $30-60 to get the logo redone if your file is no good. We barely mark it up and just try to get it redone as fast as possible to move the job along.

Hoping to launch a site in the next few weeks with online ordering and designing and hoping that most jobs coming in that way don’t need art… we’ll see

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I'm always afraid that, if I turn down a job that needs design, the customer will go to a designer who will then scoop the print job from me and send it to one of their outsource contacts. I'll admit that I do make great money with graphic design work.

Scotchbrite

No comment
If it needs a lot of work, we charge but we try to keep the expense minimal. If it's something simple like a specific font, I'll just do it.