• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you people actually like Corel?

anotherdog

Alas I only have version x4 of Corel. Is it worth upgrading?
The idea of 64 bit (do all the bits come in a bag with instructions) and infinite pasteboard have me salivating...that or I missed lunch.

Locals Find!

I can and do use both illustrator and corel. Both are good. I can do design online files in corel that I can't do in illustrator. For laying out signs I prefer corel. For laying out print jobs like business cards etc.. I use illustrator.

I really don't think one is better than the other anymore. I believe in having as many tools in my toolbox as possible to get the job done. If you only rely on one set of tools your limiting yourself. Your comparisons to me seem about the same as deciding between a pickup and a van for hauling cargo. The choice is really about which one is going to help you get the job done right the first time in the least amount of time. I would never haul something in the rain in a pickup or haul a sofa in a van. You gotta have the right tools for the job.

TwoNine

For a 40 page catalog? Maybe....Even then Corel could still do it. (Especially x6) - But a business card?

TwoNine

Oh - for embroidery...Sorry. Yeah. I've seen that program a couple times. Never used it. That thing blows my mind....Cool stuff.

WildWestDesigns

For a 40 page catalog? Maybe....Even then Corel could still do it. (Especially x6) - But a business card?

Might be overkill, but I prefer using InDesign for any printing layouts that I do. Now I might do a roughout in Ai with everything, but I always bring it in to InDesign to get everything else done. Sure, you probably could set some of the guides up in Ai and that would work, for me it's just quicker and easier to use InDesign.

C

ColoPrinthead

I seem to have doppelgangers everywhere I go. I haven't worked at BSC. I have only worked with large format where I am now and Think Big Solutions (ugh) in Colorado, the rest was in Texas. I have been operating HP Indigos for the last year or more.

I never had issues with AI on windows, but then again I learned with 7 on a windows machine.

TwoNine

Yeah - whatever works. I'm just saying - InDesign is meant for much more than business cards. It just struck me as odd to even think of laying out one in InDesign. But, again, to each is own...

(I'm just a hardcore fanboy for Corel. Don't tell nobody.)

WildWestDesigns

Oh - for embroidery...Sorry. Yeah. I've seen that program a couple times. Never used it. That thing blows my mind....Cool stuff.

It will hurt your head that's for sure. But for multi decorating on apparel you can't beat it (remember I'm the cheap shirt guy right?).

TwoNine

Well that is crazy. You look identical...I mean spot on exact match. That blows my mind.....

Anyway - yes. People still use Corel and it's great. :)

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Only thing I'm glad about is if adobe does go to a subscription basis ... you'll see more and more shops dropping everything except indesign and photoshop in favor for less expensive software.