• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you people actually like Corel?

WildWestDesigns

Illustrator has many limits and convoluted functions, but is very powerful and better at color accuracy!

I haven't seen that yet. I'm not saying it was bad when I was using it for sublimation prints, but I've noticed better quality come out of Corel then Ai. Now, it might be different when you are talking about solvent inks etc, but with sublimation that isn't the case and I'm not a neophyte when working with these printers.

artbot

it's a xenophobic meme. corel is the "photoshop" of vector programs. just add space bar panning and it would be perfect.

illy is a mess. like sitting in a 747 cockpit and all you want to do is go get milk at the corner store.

WildWestDesigns

H to pan, space bar to stop...close enough...meh

If you really want to fry your noodle. With my version of Corel (interfaced with my embroidery program), the space bar is actually a toggle button to switch between the last two tool buttons used (typically Input A, Input B, Input C, Fusion Fill and Complex Fill). But that is very much specific to those that use that particular program.

J Hill Designs

If you really want to fry your noodle. With my version of Corel (interfaced with my embroidery program), the space bar is actually a toggle button to switch between the last two tool buttons used (typically Input A, Input B, Input C, Fusion Fill and Complex Fill). But that is very much specific to those that use that particular program.

...you had me at fried noodles

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'll bet if you surveyed 100 people that know both programs well, at least 80% will favor Corel over Adobe. Across multiple applications too. Web Design, Sign Design, Print Design, Typesetting, even bitmap manipulation...Corel will win. Criteria would be they have to be able to create the same type of finished product using both programs. I Bet.
But as for facilitating this Survey....1, 2, 3, NOT IT!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
illy is a mess. like sitting in a 747 cockpit and all you want to do is go get milk at the corner store.

Wow, that hits right to the core of what I feel about illustrator. +1 to that.

Illustrator has always been that way too ... they took strides to bring all their other software in their catalog up to usefulness ... illustrator seems to be stuck in the 90 with their GUI interface.

CheapVehicleWrap

it's a xenophobic meme. corel is the "photoshop" of vector programs. just add space bar panning and it would be perfect.

Corel should print this on the box!

Techman

Why do you use it? Is it cheap compared to respectable software?

Respectable? You mean i am using a whore?
Sorry but corel draw has plugins that make it even better than illy ten times over.

I run my CNC with Corel draw and DFX tools.
I run my Printer from corel draw,
I cut vinyl with Corel draw.. Sheesh..
While some others spend thousands on software to do the same I sit here happily doing the same work with just a couple hundred spent. So I guess I like my cheap whore.. She does every thing I want and need without a single complaint..

All that and she still has room for me to learn 3d stuff too.

C

ColoPrinthead

no trolling, I was just shocked to find out people are using it. I have used it at one place of employment and figured it was pretty much dead like Quark. I really didn't get along with it well and found the interface of the software extremely painful when I last used it in 2001.

Sorry I don't have more posts/ don't have to ask for help all of the time :)

slipperyfrog

Corel X6 was just so bug laden, sluggish and crash prone this morning I had to reluctantly go back to my stable version of MS Paint to get anything done...

Thanks for being a troll though OP.

TwoNine

Hey ColoPrinthead - if you ever worked at BSC - PM me...I used to work there with you. (If not - you have an IDENTICAL twin walking about in Denver - in the sign game too...)

artbot

yup, cnc router files in corel too. i have a big 16' x 8' "piece of paper"
and i draw in the upper right hand corner of the page (where all the positive x's and y's are). then convert to .dxf. ... so easy even and artist can do it.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm an Illy user, but been in the sign business for a while...

In 2001, most shops did use Corel, and for good reason. Illustrator a few years before 2001 sucked in Windows. Why would Corel users jump to Adobe at that time.

CorelDraw has probably been losing a little ground to Adobe in the sign business, but is worthy of being Illustrator's equal and still hold a firm grip in the sign business. It does not shock me at all, it's a very good program and priced too cheap for it's capabilities.