• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you people actually like Corel?

Locals Find!

InDesign would be the right tool for that job. Much better for layouts like that.

Hell No!! Indesign is fine for people that don't know how to use illustrator or for laying out a magazine where I need to view multiple pages at once.

However, trying to use it for laying out a business card or simple postcard is stupid. I have enough problems fixing those so called "graphic artists" garbage to make it fit bleed, trim, and safe areas.

Indesign is basically a replacement for pagemaker. Which I used when I was an apprentice typsetter / platemaker / ink monkey and it was the best tool at the time. I have since streamlined my workflow by using illustrator. I don't plan on making my life harder than it needs to be, because some moronic entry level college kids didn't bother to learn how the real world operates outside of there overpriced macs & I this & that who started pushing indesign for everything print related.

J Hill Designs

all 3 would work equally as well at making a busi-card

Hell No!! Indesign is fine for people that don't know how to use illustrator or for laying out a magazine where I need to view multiple pages at once.

However, trying to use it for laying out a business card or simple postcard is stupid. I have enough problems fixing those so called "graphic artists" garbage to make it fit bleed, trim, and safe areas.

Indesign is basically a replacement for pagemaker. Which I used when I was an apprentice typsetter / platemaker / ink monkey and it was the best tool at the time. I have since streamlined my workflow by using illustrator. I don't plan on making my life harder than it needs to be, because some moronic entry level college kids didn't bother to learn how the real world operates outside of there overpriced macs & I this & that who started pushing indesign for everything print related.

Locals Find!

all 3 would work equally as well at making a busi-card

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done. I am just saying its overkill. I can cut a sapling with a chainsaw too but it be faster with my pruners.

For laying out a card fast I actually prefer corel over the others. I just default to illustrator as its already running for me most of the time when I need to do a business card so I just use it out of sheer laziness.

WildWestDesigns

My workflow for business cards is down in InDesign, I have that streamlined with how I work and what I do and the type of layout that I work with. It helps when everything is linked, drag and drop and spread out over 3 monitors.

I wouldn't call something stupid just because it isn't how you do it. I wouldn't call myself a neophyte with Ai either, now with Corel, I'm still learning that.

Locals Find!

My workflow for business cards is down in InDesign, I have that streamlined with how I work and what I do and the type of layout that I work with. It helps when everything is linked, drag and drop and spread out over 3 monitors.

I wouldn't call something stupid just because it isn't how you do it. I wouldn't call myself a neophyte with Ai either, now with Corel, I'm still learning that.

I apologize maybe calling it "stupid" was a bit harsh for typing on thread. I could see where my normal speech wouldn't translate as well in the written word and would seem out of context vs. the spoken word during a normal conversation between peers.

OldPaint

I thought that ugly beast had finally died last decade and am surprised to see how often it's mentioned on here. Why do you use it? Is it cheap compared to respectable software? I view Corel about the same as I do MS Paint and Publisher. Enlighten me.
WOW...........i cant believe anyone in this business......... is that ignorant!!!!!
i dont know you but with that presumption on your part i cant put it any other way. there are a lot of GRAPHIC PROGRAMS out there....NOW. didnt used to be that way. computers came into this work in the mid 80's. COREL, ABOBE where the leaders in graphic programs for the masses. AUTO CAD, 3D STUDIO, FLEXI, CASMATE, SIGN LAB, SIGN WIZARD ALL.............used COREL/ILLY as the base for their programs. since i have been a COREL USER since version 2-3, back when windows 3.0, the 3.1 and 4 megs a ram and the whole corel program was on 5-7 1.44 3 1/2" discs and a big hard drive was 40 megs............COREL was a lot easier the ILLY, which mostly was available to MAC USERS.
as for respectable softwear as you say(i figure you dont know any better)i tell people who ask me how long it takes to learn corel...........to take 1 VERSION, and it will take you over a 1 year......to learn ALL THAT COREL CAN AND WILL DO!!!!!! i have cut vinyl since 1993......DIRECT FROM COREL, no other program needed. i can design/draw anything you want in corel from freehand drawings, the best at theis is JOE DIAZ, to construction blueprints!!!!!
so i dont know what you do and what so called "respectable" program you use, and just cause ot cost a crapload of money, i doubt it can do much more the corel can.................and what little ive seen of corel X6, they have uped the bar FOR OTHER PROGRAMS to aspire to.

C

ColoPrinthead

WOW...........i cant believe anyone in this business......... is that ignorant!!!!!
i dont know you but with that presumption on your part i cant put it any other way. there are a lot of GRAPHIC PROGRAMS out there....NOW. didnt used to be that way. computers came into this work in the mid 80's. COREL, ABOBE where the leaders in graphic programs for the masses. AUTO CAD, 3D STUDIO, FLEXI, CASMATE, SIGN LAB, SIGN WIZARD ALL.............used COREL/ILLY as the base for their programs. since i have been a COREL USER since version 2-3, back when windows 3.0, the 3.1 and 4 megs a ram and the whole corel program was on 5-7 1.44 3 1/2" discs and a big hard drive was 40 megs............COREL was a lot easier the ILLY, which mostly was available to MAC USERS.
as for respectable softwear as you say(i figure you dont know any better)i tell people who ask me how long it takes to learn corel...........to take 1 VERSION, and it will take you over a 1 year......to learn ALL THAT COREL CAN AND WILL DO!!!!!! i have cut vinyl since 1993......DIRECT FROM COREL, no other program needed. i can design/draw anything you want in corel from freehand drawings, the best at theis is JOE DIAZ, to construction blueprints!!!!!
so i dont know what you do and what so called "respectable" program you use, and just cause ot cost a crapload of money, i doubt it can do much more the corel can.................and what little ive seen of corel X6, they have uped the bar FOR OTHER PROGRAMS to aspire to.
I'm glad you like it, I don't. I also haven't seen it in a single work environment since 2001/2 so pardon me for thinking it was bought out or went under. Joe Diaz has some nice work, that's for sure. I didn't mean to upset so many people by stating my negative opinion of the software which has been shared by many I have worked with in the past.

I also suppose when you come from not having any software to use anything would be awesome. I remember thinking Harvard Graphics was cool at one point in time :doh:

Oh hell, that's still around too.

OldPaint

again, what do you consider RESPECTABLE SOFTWEAR, we might want to move to the 21 century))))))
i have seen a lot of GREAT SOFTWARE........go away since i been workin computers since the SEVENTY'S!!!! yes they was around before you was born. 1972 USAF sent me to school to work with the latest greatest computer in the world. IBM 1050-2. it resided in a climate controlled room, 20' x 60' long. we input information with a typewriter, on 80 column key punch cards, that was feed to the computer card reader. it was state of the art, with 64K of memory))).....which was stored on 2 cylindrical drums they called ISA drums. and these could be changed when one got full to a blank one. oh and it took a crane to remove and install a new drum!!!!!!
i miss FREEHAND, CASMATE, INSPIRE was all great softwear.
oh just a side note, i really dont need any softwear, i was gifted as a child with the ability to use of a pad and pencil and still can draw anything i need))))))))))))

WildWestDesigns

again, what do you consider RESPECTABLE SOFTWEAR, we might want to move to the 21 century))))))
i have seen a lot of GREAT SOFTWARE........go away since i been workin computers since the SEVENTY'S!!!! yes they was around before you was born. 1972 USAF sent me to school to work with the latest greatest computer in the world. IBM 1050-2. it resided in a climate controlled room, 20' x 60' long. we input information with a typewriter, on 80 column key punch cards, that was feed to the computer card reader. it was state of the art, with 64K of memory))).....which was stored on 2 cylindrical drums they called ISA drums. and these could be changed when one got full to a blank one. oh and it took a crane to remove and install a new drum!!!!!!
i miss FREEHAND, CASMATE, INSPIRE was all great softwear.

My mom used to code for those machines.

artbot

it's freakin' vector software. where in the world in our society have we gotten to when we start applying elitist values to clicking boxes, letters, and lines.

OldPaint

it people who pay out the arse for their overpriced softwear which they belive if they OWN IT, it makes them an artist)))))

Justin

Screw it, hopefully Joe doesn't mind me linking to his site... Prepare to have your mind blown...

http://diazmedia.com/?portfolio=steampunk-stellas

Scroll through all of the images.

I just wanna be honest, and say I have seen designs like that, or better in Illustrator. I'm not saying Joe's work isn't awesome. I'm just saying someone with a good hand can do amazing **** in even programs like MS Paint.

It's all in his hand, and I don't think the actual program has much to do with the design ability.

I personally think Illustrator is more professional, and actually better to use because it's so versatile(I know the corel draw import stuff), and works with the other Adobe programs.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I just wanna be honest, and say I have seen designs like that, or better in Illustrator. I know Joe seems to be a good designer, but people do crazier stuff in Illustrator JMO.

While Joe's stuff is amazing, you can find better stuff done in either.

Whatever can be done in one, can be done in the other.

Neither program limits resourceful artists.

royster13

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done. I am just saying its overkill. I can cut a sapling with a chainsaw too but it be faster with my pruners.

Unlike a hand tool versus a power tool, with Illustrator, InDesign or Corel Draw, you only have to use as much of the program as required.....

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I personally think Illustrator is more professional, and actually better to use because it's so versatile(I know the corel draw import stuff), and works with the other Adobe programs.

Please define what you mean by "more professional".

How is Irritator "more versatile"?

Have you anything substantial to back up those vague statements?

It darn well better work with other Adobe products. How is that a feature?

Last edited:

SignManiac

I'm deeply saddened and crushed to just now learn that my CorelDraw work is not respectable. I must rectify this situation right away. Can someone please send me in the right direction an tell me what respectable software I need to buy? My self esteem is shattered. I don't even want to live anymore.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I just wanna be honest, and say I have seen designs like that, or better in Illustrator. I'm not saying Joe's work isn't awesome. I'm just saying someone with a good hand can do amazing **** in even programs like MS Paint.

It's all in his hand, and I don't think the actual program has much to do with the design ability.

illustrator is optimized for illustrations and thus the name ... corel draw is optimized for design. 2 different things. now I've seen some awesome stuff in illustrator ... look at the wire frame ... i wouldn't even want to load that in anything but the native format of that version -shudder- In college I would do faux water color portraits with illustrator so I could send them out to be printed oversized without killing a printers computer for an hour ... couldn't do that in any other program ... well ... until I learned corel draw ... still can do them ... but it's not optimized for that many complex 10-50% opacity objects. I do all my illustration work for cut and printed vinyl graphics in corel since I can easily do something nice without taking an hour to clean up points from noise in the transfer process. To each their own though. knowing the limitations of the software helps with designing ... now if I ever do a faux watercolor again I will probably do it in illustrator where I can easily make my own brush strokes and opacity layer styles ... but not my driving need. I will stick to design work in corel draw, my digital paintings in painter, my touchup and general photoshop guru stuff in photoshop and my layout work in indesign. Just personal preference.

And just remember ... for every good piece of art out in the world ... there are 20 bad pieces. http://browse.deviantart.com/digitalart/vector/?order=5