• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Do you still use Redwood?

Barry Jenicek

I was wondering if any of you still use Redwood in a big way or, do you use it every once-in-awhile…or not at all?

I can remember “back in the day” when that was the only substrate I used for my Sandblasted signs. I still have a stack of it left but have not used any for the past several years since the advent of HDU. (I do not miss the butt gluing and sanding :) )

The really good Redwood (Old Growth, Clear, Heartwood, Vertical Grain) is getting harder and harder to find. My use-to-be supplier doesn’t even bother stocking it any more.

So, do you still use Redwood and, if so, in what capacity?

Barry

shoresigns

The last time I asked our woodworking shop about this (a few years ago), they told me HDU is still way too expensive here in BC due to exchange rates and/or taxes, so they primarily use Western Red Cedar for sandblasting.

Billct2

In house, not for many years. Quality just wasn't there anymore.
Sometimes will still get a sandblasted one from a wholesale vendor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We still have a sh!tload of redwood, but we use far more western red cedar, also. Our redwood is also clearheart vertical grain and almost all 12" x 6/4" x 240".

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Put this up a few weeks ago, its Redwood

IMG_20180515_201112.jpg

RiXaX

HDU is not legal here. We use redwood. My stash is smaller than ever, but I just mill it for jobs as needed every couple weeks.

Sandman

The last time I asked our woodworking shop about this (a few years ago), they told me HDU is still way too expensive here in BC due to exchange rates and/or taxes, so they primarily use Western Red Cedar for sandblasting.

That must be some exchange/tax rate. I just recently checked on a western red cedar 4x8 and the price was $1000 plus freight. I can get 4x8 of 1 1/2 inch HDU for 15# for $296 and 20# for $400 delivered free. I used to be the second biggest buyer of redwood from a Wisconsin wood supplier. I have a little left that I sell for smaller camp signs where the cost of the wood doesn't cause the price to go so high as to give the client a heart attack.

Sandman

HDU is not legal here. We use redwood. My stash is smaller than ever, but I just mill it for jobs as needed every couple weeks.

You can't be serious? Coastal Enterprises, a major HDU manufacturer is located in California.

Barry Jenicek

Thanks for all of the replies. Materials sure have changed!

22 years ago, I bought a truck load of 2” x 8” x 10’ Clear Grade, Vertical Grain, Heartwood and still have 90 boards just sitting around. One of these days I’ll get around to selling it. I now have stacks of HDU that I use regularly.

The Redwood I have has a funny story behind it. I found a Lumber Yard that specialized in reclaiming wood of all species. The Lumber Guy told me they were dismantling a distillery in Louisiana. Inside the building were dozens of 10 foot round Vats…all made of Redwood! Mind you, this distillery (or Beer Factory…I forgot which) was built in 1904 so I knew the wood had to be “Premo”.

I told him the wood probably smelled of booze but he assured me that each of the boards were coated with something and that they were removing it and squaring up the edges. (Each board had a small bevel to make the Vat round)

I told him I was a bit leary about the smell and he told me he would sent me a 3’ sample of the board. He also said that when I saw the sample, I would buy it.

Well, the sample came in, and as soon as I opened it, I called and ordered 250 boards! What a find!!