• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does ACM / ePanel Need A Backer Sheet For Billboards?

player

If I make an 8' x 12' billboard using 6mm (1/4") aluminum composite sheets, and have 2" x 6" crossers, do have to use plywood behind the ACM or can I screw it directly to the 2" x 6" boards?

Any tips? Do the screws want to pull through the sheets? Do you use silicone or Lexel to adhere the sheets to the crossers?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Is this thing gonna be free standing ??
  • What's a crosser ??
  • how high in the air ??
  • Are you installing it ??
  • Which way is 8' and which way is the 12' ??

Billct2

Depends on how far apart your "crossers" are. If you are concerned about fasteners pulling thru use some washer head fasteners, like the one used for metal siding/roofing.

unclebun

Your horizontal stringers can be just 2x4's. Every 2' vertically. We use screws called truss washer lath screws. No plywood. No adhesive. Don't have a picture of the back, but you can see the number of screws on the attached picture of this 8'x8'. This sign is 3mm MaxMetal. You can see in the photo this sign sits at the top of a ridge over a lake, where there is a lot of wind. No problems with panel bending or falling off. On this one we did use a 2x6 where the penals butt since there would be two rows of screws there.
The Enclaves rider.jpg

unclebun

Outta curiosity...... why didn't you try to at least hide the screws somewhat ??

You can't see them to any appreciable degree when you are driving down the road. I was taught back when I first started in signs, "Are you going to notice a fly sitting on a billboard?" This photo's lighting highlights the screws really well, which is why I chose the photo. Plus it's a real estate sign. We do sometimes paint the screw heads when they are meant to be permanent signs for a business.

unclebun

Hah! Just opened an email that the development on that sign has a new realtor partner and we're going to be taking it down and changing the design of the sign now. That sign went up in December, we're taking it down in April. That's why I didn't try hiding the screws.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That fine and dandy, however I was taught differently. Looking at that ahead of time would tell me I'd have so many black screws, so many maroon, so many white and a few green. I'd put them into a styrofoam board, and spray them the colors needed. Take about 5 minutes total with a rattle can. I do it for every job that goes out. I already have a few hundred painted white and black, as those are very common colors.

An 8'x 8' is hardly what I call a billboard. Might be splitting hairs, but your picture has a brochure box on it, which means people are gonna be coming right up to it, so they'll see your flies and even the flysh!t left behind, let alone, just to look at the plot plans.

unclebun

We do the same except we stick the screws into cardboard because the paint dissolves styro. And I have lots of discarded boxes but hardly ever any styrofoam.

player

• What's a crosser ??
  • how high in the air ??
Yes
  • What's a crosser ??
The horizontal boards behind the sign that connect the posts and give the sign face something to be screwed to.
  • how high in the air ??
12' in the air.
Yes.
8' high, 12' wide.

player

Depends on how far apart your "crossers" are. If you are concerned about fasteners pulling thru use some washer head fasteners, like the one used for metal siding/roofing.

Your horizontal stringers can be just 2x4's. Every 2' vertically. We use screws called truss washer lath screws. No plywood. No adhesive. Don't have a picture of the back, but you can see the number of screws on the attached picture of this 8'x8'. This sign is 3mm MaxMetal. You can see in the photo this sign sits at the top of a ridge over a lake, where there is a lot of wind. No problems with panel bending or falling off. On this one we did use a 2x6 where the penals butt since there would be two rows of screws there.

Thank you for your suggestions. I always countersink the heads so they are flush and then I will paint them or precut vinyl circles to cover the heads. I also don't like to see screw heads on a face.