• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone else enjoy working late?

TheSnowman

I spend more time NOT working than actually working. Purely because over the years I have become very fast at whatever I do.
I almost have to agree w/ this one. When I bought my sign shop from my grandparents 5 years ago, we would work from 8 - Midnight at LEAST it seemed like every day in the summer. Now that it's just me, and my Mimaki, and I've learned how to utilize the Merchant Members on this board, I make more money each year, and seem to at some points be more of an organizer than doing sign production.

I still have my times when slammed w/ stuff that's an in house job, but I think I've worked smarter and not harder, and still managed to grow my business. I DO NOT want to ever have employees, and I DO NOT plan to ever let customers dictate my schedule because they didn't plan right. If I start doing that, what's the point of being self employed? As long as you are happy with your income, and you are happy with your hours, it doesn't matter who you are, don't change what you are doing.

Sign-Man Signs

You guys are missing the whole point of having your own shop...work when you want, drink and hang out and make signs. If you are not rolling that way, then I am sorry for you. Many times I am up til 1 or 2 working on signs, but am having a good time going it. If you are not having fun doing your work, you need to do something else!!!No Way to argue that point!!!

I agree Mosh. I usually get about 2/4 hours of sleep a day. Been doing this for years. I have a HUGE surround system and work in shorts(underwear). My insane black cat keeps me company. Maybe a pain pill or two. Maybe a beer or two. No interruptions. I love what I do so I never work.
:rock-n-roll::toasting::cool1:

WildWestDesigns

As much as it's a bit of a pain sometimes, there's nothing like cranking 2000w of surround sound and getting a job done... Especially when it leads to a late morning tomorrow! Does anyone else enjoy this from time to time or have I finally cracked?

I guess it would depend on what you have cranking on that surround sound as to if you've finally cracked or not.

petepaz

i wouldn't say i want to do it the rest of my life but i agree that more gets done after 5 when no one bothers you (i do have a couple of customers that know i work late and they call anyway so i don't answer the phone..haha)
i just work when ever there is work, late nights, weekends, vacations.
i hope by working all these hours now that when i retire(yea right?) i can work part time

some times i work so late i just stay at the office, no sense working till 1 and then driving an hour and 15min to get up at 5:30 and do it again

MikePro

one of the shop guys came in at 5am to start loading trucks and found me passed out on the bench in front of our building.... after staying up til 4am to finish wrapping a truck to meet a deadline.
still nothin' like turnin' up the tunes and getting lost in a project for hours and hours with no one else around! Gettin' harder to do than when I was 21, that's for sure.

Attachments

• Picture 23.png
    Picture 23.png
    520.2 KB · Views: 91

WildWestDesigns

one of the shop guys came in at 5am to start loading trucks and found me passed out on the bench in front of our building

I used to be able to take a nap anywhere and be good to go after a couple of hours. Now I have to have that cot. I've got a couple of restaurants that are wanting a lot of shirts done for their business, so I'm sensing a night or two with Dio and Danzig to keep me going. Timing of the thread couldn't have been better.

signswi

I run my non-sign business at night, so yes and no? Very much a night person by default. There are two major creative peaks in the day, the first few hours after you get up and the last couple before you go to bed. Everything in the middle is good for production grind, paperwork, finding clients, etc.

Less night stuff lately though, son > businesses.

WrapperX

It completely depends on the job. There are some jobs/evenings where I don't mind working into the 10th or 12th hour. You start pushing into the 13th hour or more and you're more likely to start making mistakes. For example - I don't mind wrapping a Van in one day. 11hrs by myself tunes cranking - energy drink flowing. It's all good. BUT the flip side is you start to push into the later hours - and something goes wrong and you're on a deadline - it snowballs like Maniac said into disaster. The mind is tired and if things aren't going well then you don't have the energy or patience to think through them clearly. Never mind adding alcohol to the scenario. That could lead to a entirely different result.

TheSnowman

I like working as well when no one bugs me, as I can get a ton done when the door is locked, and the phone isn't being answered...however, I'd rather get up crazy early in the morning before staying past 5:00. Like all the others dads...I'm out of here as early as I can be when my work is done so I can go spend time w/ the family.

CheapVehicleWrap

It completely depends on the job. There are some jobs/evenings where I don't mind working into the 10th or 12th hour. You start pushing into the 13th hour or more and you're more likely to start making mistakes. For example - I don't mind wrapping a Van in one day. 11hrs by myself tunes cranking - energy drink flowing. It's all good. BUT the flip side is you start to push into the later hours - and something goes wrong and you're on a deadline - it snowballs like Maniac said into disaster. The mind is tired and if things aren't going well then you don't have the energy or patience to think through them clearly. Never mind adding alcohol to the scenario. That could lead to a entirely different result.

Be CAREFUL with those energy drink bro. Especially the shots. A fellow wrapper (one of the best) has landed in the hospital several times over these things. Personally I stick with coffee, sometimes no-doz and best yet, vemma.

I can push myself like you wouldn't believe. I've prided myself for decades on getting more done on a pc in 3 hours than most do in 3 weeks (excluding design of course). Physical work, 50 hours with "breaks" happens sometimes. Of course I know I'll never reside in an old folks home, but do yourself a favor and google those energy drinks if you haven't already. Peace out.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Now the fun has started.
There is a Mutoh sponsored webinar on "pricing car wraps effectively" going on right now.
Their co-sponsor is Avery so it should be good.

wayne k
guam usa

WrapperX

Be CAREFUL with those energy drink bro. Especially the shots. A fellow wrapper (one of the best) has landed in the hospital several times over these things. Personally I stick with coffee, sometimes no-doz and best yet, vemma.

Yeah - I don't use them often. And I never use the energy shots. Monster and Red Bull only and only when I'm doing wrap installations. And I limit myself to usually only one per day. Mainly during the end of my day to keep me "going" Although - I have pushed the limits on them once or twice. However I try and plan for the next 4-5 hours if I do take one. I've had instances where I took had one about 7 or 8 pm and I ended up finishing by like 9 or 10 but when I got home and was ready to slow down and relax for the evening I couldn't. I was physically exhausted but my brain was wired and I could feel my heart trying to beat through my rib cage. That was the last time I took 3 in one day and the last time I'll have one after 5 pm. It was not pleasent.

WildWestDesigns

My dad used to use them for SASBA tournaments, but my mom was tired of his gift of gab when he was on those things.

To all the other dads out there, saviour that while you can. Eventually you'll be uncool and they won't want much to do with you. Apparently I'm at that stage now.

mikey-Oh

Now the fun has started.
There is a Mutoh sponsored webinar on "pricing car wraps effectively" going on right now.
Their co-sponsor is Avery so it should be good.

wayne k
guam usa

I'm one of the other 118 people.
Wish I could hit pause and grab a sandwich.