• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone else hate online reviews?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't donate or sponsor anything, it's a slippery slope. I worked for an equipment dealer and one of the other sales reps was trying to close a decent sized sale with a local contractor. In the middle of it, they hit us up for a pretty decent sized sponsorship (20-50k range IIRC) for their race team which my boss pushed corporate to go ahead and do. Right after they got it, they went and bought all Cat equipment instead. The sales rep was a dIckwad so we all thought it was pretty funny. Everyone except him and my boss saw that one coming from a mile away.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We just got our first 1 star Google review yesterday. Totally bogus but Google won't remove it. Based on the person's location and our call log, I don't see where they ever called. Looking at their other reviews they have left reviews for 3 other sign shops in different parts of the midwest and all of them are 1 star.
we ALWAYS respond to the bad reviews. For this one, I would let them know that they never called into your shop and Perhaps they have the "wrong company".

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
we ALWAYS respond to the bad reviews. For this one, I would let them know that they never called into your shop and Perhaps they have the "wrong company".
Replies are a big turn off IMO. If anything, I would say something like: I think you may have the wrong company but if it is in fact us, we appreciate the feedback and will work on doing better in the future. Feel free to contact us at anytime.
Then go kick your dog and smack your wife to feel better about the whole thing

Signscorp

Wow! Thanks for all the help with the bad reviewer!

I have debated about responding. My thoughts run between what Geneva Olson said and what Notarealsignguy posted. I think if I do respond, it's probably better to wait a couple of days until I'm less irritated.
Once you respond, the reviewer can no longer take it down. If you think there's a shot of getting them to take it down you should try that first.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Once you respond, the reviewer can no longer take it down. If you think there's a shot of getting them to take it down you should try that first.
That's actually not true. The person who posted it can always take it down. If you respond and you are able to compel them to take it down, they still can.
I've witnessed several removed from our own page once we responded.

Signscorp

Anyone have a bad review that was responded to they can test this with? Maybe it's changed! Would be good to know.

truckgraphics

Not online but in person once I got accused of misogyny - a woman in her mid-forties came in and started telling me all about how she and her two friends were going to go to Okinawa to study Tae Kwon Do under some great master. I'm thinking "Okay, and?" and then she explains that they are looking for sponsors.

She wanted me to pay for her hobby. :roflmao:
I told her we really only sponsor children's sports teams, camps, etc. She got pissed and said "I'll bet the answer would be different if I was a man!" I managed to keep it to one quick guffaw before I told her "I can assure you it would be the same"
Tae Kwon Do is Korean karate.

Okinawan karate is from Okinawa.

Doesn't make much sense to go to Okinawa to study Tae Kwon Do.

I've been to Okinawa twice to study karate - not Tae Kwon Do.

No one sponsored me, but then I didn't think to ask...Won't you please send an old man to karate camp? If you don't, you're sexist and ageist!

Scotchbrite

No comment
We just got our first 1 star Google review yesterday. Totally bogus but Google won't remove it. Based on the person's location and our call log, I don't see where they ever called. Looking at their other reviews they have left reviews for 3 other sign shops in different parts of the midwest and all of them are 1 star.
Follow up on this, in the past week that review was removed. I know it was there earlier this month because I had the Google My Business performance report and it was there. Yesterday one of our employees asked if I'd noticed the bad review was gone, and sure enough it is. I'm betting it was a bogus account and the entire account was deleted along with the reviews. Maybe all of the bad marks some of the members here left had an effect as well.