• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone else hate online reviews?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So he was not aware of this:
No, that would be a threat and that is not my style. I talked to him and said we would fix it then he gave me a bad review anyways. He did not make me aware that he was going to do that so he is now blocked and not aware of it either. You ever see office space where they move Milton into the basement and stopped paying him? These things will work themselves out.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
1652211372448.png

Stacey K

I like making signs
So far I've only had regular people leave less than a 5 star, no businesses yet. Shame on a business to leave less than 5 stars unless there was a super big mistake and you were a real jerk about it.

I just had a customer come in and bribe me with a Dairy Queen gift card that I can get 3 banner done by Thursday morning instead of the scheduled Friday.

Yes, I took the bribe. I can't wait to get an Oreo Blizzard!!!!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have to sub out work all over the country so I look at the reviews and make decisions based on what I see. If I see someone with a pattern of negative reviews, that's a tip-off. Less than 4 stars and you're taking a risk. Almost every company has one for two bad reviews, and I read them to see what they are complaining about. Twice I had to go with someone who's reviews raised a red flag.. and both times I was burnt.

If it were me, I'd be asking them to change the review. I remember when I used to sell on ebay we would do it all the time and about half the time they would change.

Reviews are important.. but if I saw that one from you that wouldn't hurt at all, especially if you reply back to it in a professional manor.

Notarealsignguy

I have to sub out work all over the country so I look at the reviews and make decisions based on what I see. If I see someone with a pattern of negative reviews, that's a tip-off. Less than 4 stars and you're taking a risk. Almost every company has one for two bad reviews, and I read them to see what they are complaining about. Twice I had to go with someone who's reviews raised a red flag.. and both times I was burnt.

If it were me, I'd be asking them to change the review. I remember when I used to sell on ebay we would do it all the time and about half the time they would change.

Reviews are important.. but if I saw that one from you that wouldn't hurt at all, especially if you reply back to it in a professional manor.
Did you see it? It's a good review with a bad mark. I'd rather have 5 stars and a negative comment.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
So why don't people respond to negative reviews? Why don't business owners stand up for themselves? I don't think we live in the world where the customer is always right..

Notarealsignguy

So why don't people respond to negative reviews? Why don't business owners stand up for themselves? I don't think we live in the world where the customer is always right..
because it makes you look hard to deal with, immature and petty. Some businesses deserve the bad reviews that they get and those are the ones that you see responding defensively. That will keep me away more than the bad review would

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
because it makes you look hard to deal with, immature and petty. Some businesses deserve the bad reviews that they get and those are the ones that you see responding defensively. That will keep me away more than the bad review would
I'm not in the habit of reading reviews, but one time I was looking up a new habachi restaurant, mostly for the hours, and happened to scroll through the reviews. The replys were so rude and snarky, I decided against going there.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We just got our first 1 star Google review yesterday. Totally bogus but Google won't remove it. Based on the person's location and our call log, I don't see where they ever called. Looking at their other reviews they have left reviews for 3 other sign shops in different parts of the midwest and all of them are 1 star.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We were just speculating based on the location of the reviews that maybe he's a trucker running I80 and I25 between Denver and Omaha. We can't think of a recent instance, but we do get calls from truckers wanting same day turnaround on some truck lettering and we generally tell them we can't accommodate that. Usually we're booked out on truck lettering a week ahead. But lots of people get upset when you tell them "no, we can't do that".

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
i got called a racist because i couldn't refund a guy that cancelled his order without having his credit card number again.
Not online but in person once I got accused of misogyny - a woman in her mid-forties came in and started telling me all about how she and her two friends were going to go to Okinawa to study Tae Kwon Do under some great master. I'm thinking "Okay, and?" and then she explains that they are looking for sponsors.

She wanted me to pay for her hobby. :roflmao:
I told her we really only sponsor children's sports teams, camps, etc. She got pissed and said "I'll bet the answer would be different if I was a man!" I managed to keep it to one quick guffaw before I told her "I can assure you it would be the same"

Stacey K

I like making signs
I also only sponsor or discount things for kids or the community picnic. I had a bar owner ask me 2 years in a row to give him 100 free tshirts for his brat fry for his son who was a veteran and killed himself. I felt bad saying no but up here there's several brat frys for a benefits every weekend. Now this year he put an order in for a bunch of hoodies so now he will expect me to do it.

How do you decide how much to donate, is it a percentage? I sponsor a horseshoe team, do a few hundred in ads for football, donate Carhartt's for a few events each year. IDK...how much do you really need to donate when you're just a one person shop? For real...I'm curious what others do.

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
I also only sponsor or discount things for kids or the community picnic. I had a bar owner ask me 2 years in a row to give him 100 free tshirts for his brat fry for his son who was a veteran and killed himself. I felt bad saying no but up here there's several brat frys for a benefits every weekend. Now this year he put an order in for a bunch of hoodies so now he will expect me to do it.

How do you decide how much to donate, is it a percentage? I sponsor a horseshoe team, do a few hundred in ads for football, donate Carhartt's for a few events each year. IDK...how much do you really need to donate when you're just a one person shop? For real...I'm curious what others do.
Most of the time we're doing an in-kind donation, and we don't usually go below cost. We do also do the minimum size ads in football programs etc. just to maintain a presence.