• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone else hate online reviews?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Am I the only one that gets annoyed when whiny people (whining like I am right now) leave negative reviews for stupid stuff? Assuming most of us are B2B businesses, it's never a normal business that does it, it is always some 1 off jerkoff that you have the unfortunate pleasure to have walk through your door.
We mixed up an order, just put the wrong model number in with it but the rest was right. They contacted us, I offered to send a replacement and they said no big deal, then ordered more. Sunday, I see he left a bad review but says in it that the product was great and they would continue using us. I'm rambling here but I see a lot of people on their high horses writing bad reviews for trivial stuff like they are some sort of newspaper columnist. I wish we could opt out of online reviews. You can do $200k/month with normal people and have 1 random guy with his $100 order screw you up.

Scotchbrite

No comment
If I'm shopping looking at reviews, I filter down to the 1 star reviews and then read thru them to see how many are for dumb reasons. Seems like 75% fall under dumb. They will be very similar to your example. That's why they say you need to get all the reviews you can so the bad ones are far outweighed by the positive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
B!tch, b!tch, b!tch.......... let it go. Let go of it. Take a deep breath and let it all out. :flamey:

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Am I the only one that gets annoyed when whiny people (whining like I am right now) leave negative reviews for stupid stuff? Assuming most of us are B2B businesses, it's never a normal business that does it, it is always some 1 off jerkoff that you have the unfortunate pleasure to have walk through your door.
We mixed up an order, just put the wrong model number in with it but the rest was right. They contacted us, I offered to send a replacement and they said no big deal, then ordered more. Sunday, I see he left a bad review but says in it that the product was great and they would continue using us. I'm rambling here but I see a lot of people on their high horses writing bad reviews for trivial stuff like they are some sort of newspaper columnist. I wish we could opt out of online reviews. You can do $200k/month with normal people and have 1 random guy with his $100 order screw you up.
Call the guy up and be straight with him. Tell him how much a negative review hurts, and that you’ve done everything to make it right. If he won’t change the rating, then respond politely to the review.

Notarealsignguy

Call the guy up and be straight with him. Tell him how much a negative review hurts, and that you’ve done everything to make it right. If he won’t change the rating, then respond politely to the review.
I sent him a message and will block him from future purchases if he doesn't change it.

Signscorp

If you think the Jerkoff customers are bad for your ranking wait until your jerkoff competitors get in on it.

Notarealsignguy

Wait, you're saying you wrote him a negative review right back?
Haha no, I wouldn't do that. By rights, I made the mistake but the internet remedy for a simple mistake annoyed me. I'm not a restaurant. Food was good, service was good. I even went back 2 more times last week but I can only give them 1 star because they brought me coke and I ordered a diet coke.

WildWestDesigns

Why are you worried about one random person? Now if there are a multitude of people that say the same thing, maybe there is something to look at, but if it's one random person, who cares? The other potential customers that do business with you, should be able to gather something along those lines with reading the reviews (providing that there are other reviews). To be honest, I tend to strip away the extremes and look at the middle of the road reviews as it is and see what's going on there.

Calling up the person to "set them straight" or to say "no 'soup' for you, unless you change it", is not really the type of position that I would take. To me, that would actually notch everything up. And they would have something else to mention in their review as well.

According to you, said everything was good except one little thing. If that one little thing is listed by others, that may be something to look into, maybe there is something going on that could be taken care of on your end. Maybe not, especially if this is the only one.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We once got a 4 star review just because we don't deliver. The lady that left the review works for a HUGE company, who has delivery drivers buzzing all around town - one time we were unable to bring her banners to her. We do a LOT of stuff for this company, and we have saved her butt more than once on last minute needs. B!tch.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I don't read them, nor do I leave any reviews.

If the service was that bad, I'm certainly not going back for more, nor am I gonna waste 15 minutes to write a review. I agree, read through reviews and find middle ground, go from there.

I have dealt with a million Normans over the years...

I believe in ignore it and it goes away, and keep on keeping on, because if I wasn't doing something right, I wouldn't still be doing it forty eight years later...

Notarealsignguy

Why are you worried about one random person? Now if there are a multitude of people that say the same thing, maybe there is something to look at, but if it's one random person, who cares? The other potential customers that do business with you, should be able to gather something along those lines with reading the reviews (providing that there are other reviews). To be honest, I tend to strip away the extremes and look at the middle of the road reviews as it is and see what's going on there.

Calling up the person to "set them straight" or to say "no 'soup' for you, unless you change it", is not really the type of position that I would take. To me, that would actually notch everything up. And they would have something else to mention in their review as well.

According to you, said everything was good except one little thing. If that one little thing is listed by others, that may be something to look into, maybe there is something going on that could be taken care of on your end. Maybe not, especially if this is the only one.
I was cordial in asking for him to reconsider his review, no threats. No other bad reviews in 13 years either. It's the pettiness that gets me. Many of these negative reviews that I see come off as self righteous look at me bullshIt and it's exactly why I turn away most non-contractor work. There are too many people out there today that think you only exist for their benefit. I feel sorry for people that work in restaurants.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i got called a racist because i couldn't refund a guy that cancelled his order without having his credit card number again. i pretty do the same thing as scotchbrite. check the 1 stars and filter out the BS

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
i got called a racist because i couldn't refund a guy that cancelled his order without having his credit card number again. i pretty do the same thing as scotchbrite. check the 1 stars and filter out the BS
Gotta love the arbitrary racist accusations! I think there should be a database for ridiculous racist claims... so that when they file a law suite over discrimination, their name pops up on the database and the law suit is thrown out.

rjssigns

Bad reviews don't matter. Large landscape company in my town that is known for doing "less than their best" and they get bigger every year.
Direct quote from the owner: "People are waiting in line for me to f%$# them".

With the current state of things this will only get worse. Where I live people are happy with any business that returns their call. Fact.

gnubler

I don't think it's a big deal. On the flip side, I'm suspicious of any business with nothing but fantastic glowing reviews, never a problem. Yelp is the worst in that category, so many fake/paid reviews.

WildWestDesigns

I was cordial in asking for him to reconsider his review, no threats.
So he was not aware of this:

I sent him a message and will block him from future purchases if he doesn't change it.

To me, it's best not to engage with reviews, especially if they seem to be petty. I just don't see how that could turn out well. But that could just be me, I've been known to be a strange one (very strange).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I just love seeing some of the fake reviews some of our competitors use to make them seem more legitimate. "This print head was the best print head I ever used!" Yeah no one talks about print heads like that!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Customer writes we "put the wrong phone number" on his magnet. We emailed a proof and he replied with an approval. Why is it our fault? I don't put a lot into online reviews but I do check. We get people in all the time that what a color change wrap and get all upset about the price quote. "It is what it is". Not gonna haggle, go somewhere else.
p.s. we only do commercial wraps now

Notarealsignguy

I just love seeing some of the fake reviews some of our competitors use to make them seem more legitimate. "This print head was the best print head I ever used!" Yeah no one talks about print heads like that!
and that is why the whole review thing is stupid. 1/2 are fake, 1/2 are crybabies that didn't get their way and then there are a few normal ones mixed in there. Then there are the people that offer coupons or free stuff in exchange for a good review.