• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does size really matter....??

WildWestDesigns

You can do it your own way, but to get emails to pdf just print to pdf.

You have that option with Thunderbird, the problem is that it's one email at a time (as far as I know at this time).

If you have Acrobat Pro you can set it up to where it will auto archive (daily, weekly, monthly) and if it does attachments or not. Embed index or not. Which folder(s) you use etc. Security password (for what that's worth) as well.

This is probably the most used function of Acrobat Pro for me anyway. Like I said in the previous post, this is the one function that keeps me with Outlook. If Adobe would get the plugin to work with Thunderbird, I would have switched totally to it instead of Outlook.

mopar691

I did try Thunderbird for a few months on the advice of my brother as the U of M switched to gmail and he migrated everything over to it. Seemed slow and cumbersome to me. But I have been using outlook since the mid 90's so I ended up going back.

Archiving within Outlook is fairly easy and managing the .pst size goes along with that easy also.

Maybe given more time I would of grown to like Thunderbird but Outlook was just to embedded in me I think.

round man

Wildwest,...Gino was complaining about storage space and the fact that he didn't want to delve into the vast void of all of microsofts options and details for outlook,...no need to over complicate things as complications are already a problem,....archiving the existing emails before a certain date is a great and option and sounds like a good solution but in the long run webmail will be the simplest and safest solution,...if he does what I suggested with two email accounts he can have his current email server forward all his mail to webmail accounts of his choosing,....

There are dozen of email clients out there that will solve his dilemma but the simplest solution is usually the best,....

signage

Roundman what if all his emails were downloaded to his computer and deleted from his ISP's server, then what would he do with all his old emails?

WildWestDesigns

Wildwest,...Gino was complaining about storage space and the fact that he didn't want to delve into the vast void of all of microsofts options and details for outlook,...no need to over complicate things as complications are already a problem,

The suggestion that I mentioned is not at all complicated. If it was, I wouldn't have been doing it.

My post(s) more then likely don't convey that, but it really isn't complicated at all.

Archive in PDF then when I don't know emails any longer I move the files either onto an external drive and/or labeled CD/DVDs (that takes care of the HD storage issues on the computer).

....archiving the existing emails before a certain date is a great and option and sounds like a good solution but in the long run webmail will be the simplest and safest solution,...

Depends on who you talk to. Webmail for me, does not work as an organizational tool unless I do a lot of tweaking it to fit how I organize things. It actually translates into more work for me compared to the method that I talk about. Now that is me and I'm sure we've all figured out that I'm a strange one at that.

I started off using webmail, but I almost exclusively use some type of email client even though my emails support both options.

WildWestDesigns

Roundman what if all his emails were downloaded to his computer and deleted from his ISP's server, then what would he do with all his old emails?

Forward them onto whatever online account that he would want to use. The only bad thing is that in the headers it will all show up as current emails (due to the current forwarding date), but the individual emails will still have the earlier date in them.

There might be an easier method, but that's the one that comes to my mind the quickest.

round man

I stated archiving his old emails as a solution,...outlook has already downloaded his emails and deleted his old emails off his server unless he has changed the default settings which very few people set it to do,...he will need to back up his existing email files,.*.pst and archive files to a redundant storage space in order to be safe and keep them,...

WildWestDesigns

I stated archiving his old emails as a solution,...outlook has already downloaded his emails and deleted his old emails off his server unless he has changed the default settings which very few people set it to do,.

You mean Thunderbird has already downloaded them. Gino uses Thunderbird. Which those options for archiving are insanely time consuming.

I actually have on my netbook (linux based) and on my Quisimo (sp?) have Thunderbird set to keep on server. I archive on my main computer. Like I said, I like using Thunderbird more (hence why it's on my other computers, although it's the default option on Linux as well), but archiving is easier in Outlook due to the PDF Maker Plugin that you get with Acrobat Pro.

WildWestDesigns

You know, come to think about it. I don't actually think Thunderbird as a default option deletes email from the server. For the life of me, I can't actually remember tweaking that option now. Now, I know the default option for Outlook is to delete email once it's downloaded it, unless you change it, but I can't remember in Thunderbird.

round man

Don't want to get into a debate here,...what works for one may not work for the other,.....the final decision will be Gino's solution,.,.,Thanx for the typo correction,.....I have had clients who have had problems with all of the email programs and webmail services at one time or another,it depends on the individual's preferences,..and daily needs,....just offering up sound solutions I was taught and have used in the past that worked well for me and others,,,,..

signswi

We usually download all the attachments into the appropriate customer file and then delete emails after a while. Of course, we use a gmail account (you can set them up for businesses with your doman... ours is info@alaskasignpro.com), so everything we have in our inbox (currently 2,096 emails) is on "the cloud" and doesn't interfere with our computing.

:goodpost: More small businesses should take advantage of Google Apps for Business.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have nothing to add except....I was immediately drawn to the Header.

Only if you're building Adam's Banana stand and Eve thinks this is 6"

Attachments

• 6inches.jpg
    6inches.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 82

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, we're having a meeting on Monday to try and solve this problem. Many answers here helped while some are.... well, they are.

As we get closer to this I'll post what we did. So far, I don't understand what we're gonna do, but it's gonna work..... I'm being guaranteed it.

Now it's time to get ready for another enjoyable weekend............................