• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dots of ink on print

Colin

SP540i

I just did a print of some logos, and the printer dropped some darker blue droplets on the print.

They appear only at the far left end of the print (the end of the print-head travel).

With really close inspection with a magnifying glass, they appear to contain some Magenta in the middle of the drop.

See attached – one taken with flash, one without.

Blue was a RVW colour.

New roll of Oracal 3651 Gloss. Used their downloaded media profile, and used the "Default Media Settings" under "Printer Controls" in VW (except heater control).

Any ideas?

Attachments

• P1020141.JPG
    P1020141.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 73
  • P1020142.JPG
    P1020142.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 69

FatCat

Typical of you having some lint/hair/fuzz, etc. on or around your print head that is wicking ink and dropping it at random on your substrate. Do a thorough cleaning with cleaning solution and swabs around the head(s) and capping stations. Might be helpful to use a flashlight to see.

Colin

Just did that now; didn't see anything on the heads, but there was one tiny piece of lint/fuzz on the place where the heads park.

I'll keep an eye on it next print.

Thanks.

plottfish

iddint saw that u re using the profile, so check the heat. i got this also sometimes on my SP540 and it is always the heat

gabagoo

Clean the heads carefully with a foam swab. There is definately something allowing ink to build up and them drop off from centrifical force when the head reaches the end of the carriage and swings back. It can be a very small fiber and you really need to look closely.
I get them occassionally and even if i cant see it I clean them and problem solved.

Colin

Doing a different print right now, also with a flood of RVW blue, and all is good.

Perhaps that one little piece of fuzz I found on the capping station was taking a ride on the heads during the print.

:thumb:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like lint to me too.
Take a ball point pen and push each dot out a little from the back and tell the customer they are now ADA compliant.

wayne k
guam usa

J

john1

It's lint, You probably ran some banners recently and the fibers got onto the heads. It's normal and you can shut the lights off, get a LED light and see the lint on the hairs in maintenance mode. Take tweezers and get them off if you see any.

Colin

It's lint, You probably ran some banners recently and the fibers got onto the heads. It's normal and you can shut the lights off, get a LED light and see the lint on the hairs in maintenance mode. Take tweezers and get them off if you see any.

See post #4.

wedosigns

Looks like lint to me too.
Take a ball point pen and push each dot out a little from the back and tell the customer they are now ADA compliant.

wayne k
guam usa
Lol:U Rock:
Then charge double!
Sorry Colin I am sure you have it fixed now, It just hit my funny bone.