• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double Sided Post & Panel Sign

superdj23

Looking for something that is going to last at a rural farm. The sign will be 4' x 6' and slide into slotted 4" x 4" posts. The sign will have a routed shape. I am looking at possibly using 1/2" thick Luster Board or Nu Alum, but I am concerned that the wood edges will start to pose a problem. Would sealing the edges with 3M edge sealer be the way to go, or is there another product that would be a better edge sealer for this application. If it was just a rectangular shape, I would probably use edge cap. I thought about using 6mm Dibond material, but am concerned that it will not do well in the wind without any horizontal supports. Any advice?

Moze

You could get a sheet of 5'x12' 6mm ACM, cut it in half, adhere the two halves with the thin VHB tape and/or silicone, and cut it to shape. That would give you almost a ½" of material which would eliminate the need for any stiffeners/supports.

k.a.s.

Lusterboard doesn't hold up any better than MDO does, both show a lot of wear within 3-4 years. I would use 6mm Max metal and do two single sided signs mounted to braces between the posts. Or you can work the design so the posts are behind the sign, and mount to that. It is sturdy and gives a thicker look to the sign.

Kevin

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
"going to last" is hard to offer for exterior signs without knowing details. What is the weather like? ... year round? is it going to be in the open, or shaded from weathering elements? fauna and flora near by? how about trees? how long is "going to last" ... 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? that ephemeral 'forever'? and by "going to last" do you want the basic sign to live, while there is yearly upkeep to stay fresh like just about ANY sign (painted, printed, or carved) and lastly, how are the 4x4's going in the ground, are they going to be pressure treated? and how high up is the sign going to be?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're asking a simple question which has a simple answer...... what's your budget ??

With the right substrates, paint, vinyl, sealing, prepping and so many other things, you can easily make a wooden sign last near 20 years.... even today. Aluminum composite, not so much. It will chalk out within a few years and start to turn grey from any kind of weather. It won't rot, like wood, but if you do things correctly, the wooden sign will take a beating for years with very little maintenance.

Marlene

how much of a budget? you could go with a routed and painted aluminum and aluminum posts. that would hold and live a good long time. redwood or cedar would work too.