• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dream desk...show me yours

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have a 1970s era Steelcase office desk that is destined for the scrap heap and I'm in the market for something new...custom built to my own needs.

My office space is a 9 x 12 room in my house and I am planning on utilizing the entire 9 foot wall as a backdrop.

Also, I'm tired of hunching over in a chair, so this time around I'm planning on making a standing desk built around a 35" high Stanley Vidmar roller bearing drawer unit and a laminate top covered with glass in my direct keyboard/writing work area. I plan on keep a tall chair on standby for those long jobs, however.

So...for anybody who's built their own standing desk, throw me some input as to what you've done. Short of a fridge, I have a long plug strip, computer speakers and a few other built-in amenities planned.

JB

Attachments

• vidmar.jpg
    vidmar.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 149

GB2

Old Member
For simplicity, economy and value, it's hard to beat office furniture from IKEA, they have a very nice Bekant model that raises to a standing desk and lowers to a sitting desk. Here's some information on that:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/20154_ergonomic/IKEA_brochure_for_office_ergonomics.pdf

We just remodeled one of my offices with all new furniture, chairs, shelving and filing from IKEA and we are very happy with it all and it was 1/3 the cost of the next best option. Maybe it's not the style you are looking for but if it fits the bill then it's great stuff.

visual800

For the longest time I always had "a desk" and just got sick of them. They were big, took up alot of space and bulky.

So when I redid office I built my own "floating surround desk. 20" deep, 30" height, all wires and cable are hidden and tons more room than having the 2 desks that I once did.

I used 2x4s and MDF board. the 2 x 4 were all cut to square on the table saw, I drilled all hold in the top were lamps and other stuff would be. Im very pleased at the space this saved

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 164

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

SignManiac

If I was going to stay in business for a longer period, I'd design and build something similar to this but with my original take on it.

Attachments

• Office desk.jpg
    Office desk.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 160