• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dream Shop

OldPaint

Hey Joe is that thing road worthy? Looks awesome!

sadly........when gas hit the $4 and near it(bush years)i parked it. 8 MPG wasnt worth what work i did as prices for signs also went in the toilet, with printers coming into making cheaper signs. its only got 30k miles on it. was looking for a 67-72 chevy pickup that needed motor/tranny and wanted to swap this motor into it. getting old now, pullin a motor/install one is a little above my work capabilities now))))))) it was a great idea, i did well with it. last time someone wanted to buy it.......seems the mice made a home in the DISTRIBUTOR CAP))))) when i bought it 2000-2001 it had a rats nest in the AIR CLEANER))) on of the last good 350 c.i. 350 H.P carb engines 1974.

petepaz

shop right now is in pretty good shape so i would only need to change a few things...
1- shop would be 10 miles from my house not 70
2- equipment is pretty good just need to add flatbed cutter and a flatbed printer with higher then 1/2" clearance
3- garage door that i can fit more then vans through for inside installs

(and to get a little of gino's dream a small after hours lounge with a bar and someone to bring me drinks and snacks as i relax from a nice hearty 12 hour day...haha)

that would be the final pieces to the puzzle

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Why is everyone's ideal retirement owning a bar?? You really want to start and your new life with a bunch of local drunks??

Being on the other side of the bar is not always ideal.

petepaz

Why is everyone's ideal retirement owning a bar?? You really want to start and your new life with a bunch of local drunks??

don't want to own a bar. bar tended for 18yrs, enjoyed it, the money was good but the hours and sometimes the people sucked. just want a bar in the shop for after hours relaxation.
(probably make a good customer conference room nothing like finalizing a sale with an 18yr old single malt)

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Ever try it ?? I thought so.

My grandfather owned and operated bars almost his whole life. My Dad didn't touch the stuff. He totally hated it. I've been going in them since I was about 15. I played [in bands] in literally 100's of them over the years. Saw many brawls, but saw far more fun times and interesting people than almost anywhere else. Perhaps you've had lotsa negative encounters in them.... that's a shame, because they can be a lotta fun for the most part. Then again, maybe you're a lousy drunk or a weak drinker. Maybe you don't drink at all and just feel like making someone else out to be bad, cause they do. There's no harm in anything on this earth, unless you abuse it.

Lighten up. You're more negative about things than me........... :toasting:
Besides, nothing local about drunks in British Columbia when I'm from Pennsylvania......................... :rolleyes: They'd all be brand spanking new.​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:bushmill: You're talking to a bar owner.

I am not negative, I just point out the negatives.

Well, I don't know where Big Brother is, but let me know where you're located and I'll try to visit ya. I happen to like bars and I'm always up for a new one. Is my first drink free ?? :Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll just bring my flask. I have a buncha them. :wink:
I'll sit at the end of the bar where no one watches and just fill it 1/2 way, if you insist. You best have :bushmill: !!!!!

HulkSmash

That's an interesting question that I haven't seen here before. :thumb:

It really makes you look at were you are in terms of goals and where you want grow your business.

I think my dream shop would be:

-10,000sqft (+/-) with dedicated areas for fabrication, vinyl, printing, cnc area, spacious install bay for vehicles, big showroom and reception area, offices, conference room
-a couple of solvent printers
-a couple of UV printers
-a dye sublimation setup
-a flatbed cutter
-a 5x10 cnc for cutting acrylic & dibond
-channel letter bender & equipment (maybe)
-at least one bucket truck
-5-6 reliable employees that know what they're doing and a production manager that can run the show when I'm away

I think that just about sums it up for me. I suppose that's more of a 5 year plan than a dream really... but if money was no object I'm not sure I would do anything differently either.

Looking forward to seeing some of the other responses!

We've done this in 5 years without the bender. And no bucket truck. We stay far away from electrical.

OldPaint

GEE....guess iam the only one THAT OWNED A BAR.....and became a sign painter))))) the BAR........is how i got introduced to a "shakey jake" sign painter)))))) he hung around the bar and saw i had a bit of want to learn.....he taught me....this is his work on the windows of THE BAR........ i sold it 1981. thats my mom in the pic.

Attachments

• STATE LINE INN.jpg
    STATE LINE INN.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 76

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now that's a neat lookin' place. I'd have no trouble partaking in there. I like that kinda place over one with 27 televisions, all kinds of games and bands. I wanna talk with the other patrons, drink and have fun. Then, crawl home.

Is it still a bar, or did someone buy it to get the license and then go elsewhere ??

OldPaint

gino...not to hijack the thread but just in answer of your question.......i sold the place in 1981........6 days after i sold it, someone put a match to it. the guy that bought it.........said if he......... knew i did that. he was gona kill me. like i would burn everything from my parents and 30 years of living there. so i told him i would sell him the other house and property ajoining the bar and ground.
sold it to him for $5000.00 he then took the bar to this building. this pic was taken in 2003. look at the roof. the patches are new.........but that is the same roof it had when mom bought it in 1957))))) it originally had an upstarirs porch, but it rotted off over the years so they added the roof over the lower porch. it has outhouses..............really....as far as i know they still have a bar there and fish fry on friday)))))
and this red one...... was another "shotn beer bar" not far from ours. was a big biker hangout. the building got destroyed from the remnants of HURRICANE IVAN 2005

Attachments

• penowabar.jpg
    penowabar.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 74
  • wvabar.jpg
    wvabar.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 79

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like some really mean bikers there at the picnic bench. Guess they're gonna go in and watch Dirty Dancing on the satellite television ?? Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

swayze-4-dance-corner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TimToad

my dream shop would be in a super cool RV that I could start up and drive when the weather sucked or the customers were pains.

Woody Guthrie style! I love it!

As a young apprentice, I used to love hearing the stories of some of the old Walldogs I worked under spending the cold Chicago winters down in Missouri, Oklahoma, etc. knocking on doors, doing gold leaf jobs and billboards for anyone that would hire them. Then they'd pack it up and go to the next town.