• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Dried solvent Ink

mush

Hello

Does anyone know how safe dried ink/print is after being gassed off when printed through a solvent printer? Thinking of Printing on clear PVC Sheets for Table cloth/cover.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
EcoSolMAX3 is GreenGuard Gold certified, so VOCs are extremely low. Still not sure how comfortable I'd be having them that close to food, but they are approved for use in hospitals, schools and other sensitive areas.

mush

Am I right in assuming in that if I was to Give the print a quick clean / Hose down, it will get rid of any lingering VOC's?

Last edited:

karst41

If were latex, I might be inclined.

Solvent inks of any kind are not going on my table;
and photo prints from any solvent printer are not going in my home for
at least a month.

Jester

Slow is Fast
If you are concerned, once the solvents have evaporated (out gassed) just laminate the print with clear to encapsulate the ink.

MikePro

typically, finished product off of a solvent/ecosolvent printer SHOULD be laminated for longevity and at that point, its no different than having a plastic fork on your dinner table.

If unlaminated, its still not "bad"...i guess, BUT little bits of plastic (pigments) will most likely scratch off and wind up on your hands, in your clothes, and in your food. (insert rant about cheap unlaminated prints in the marketplace)