• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dry Erase Laminate?

sfnum8

I am just starting out with a new project. I have some posters printed on 100# Gloss Text, I need to laminate them with the Dry Erase Laminate(cold PSA). I have a house brand from a local vendor 1mil, but after a couple uses it starts to ghost.

Which brands of dry erase laminates are known to work well, and a still be cost effective? I need to be at .75 cents a square foot or less.

I havn't rolled this out on an the actual posters yet, but what is the easiest way to do this. I don't have a laminator, but will be trying to do this by hand. Is this even possible? I was thinking maybe a heavy duty rolling pin? What are some of your techniques?

Would it be easier to work with a 2mil laminate? Do the thicker dry erase laminates tend to not ghost as much? What is the thickest laminate I could use and still be able to roll a 32" poster in a 3" tube?

I will be doing just the front of the poster in dry erase and the back with regular laminate, 1mil-2mil. The quality of this is not too important, just looking for something that would be easy to apply and provide a little protection.

Sorry for all the questions
Thanks in advance for your time!

Tim Aucoin

+2 on the Big Squeegee.
Is this lamination requirement in conjunction with your printer question on the other thread? I assume then that you are printing calendars and dry-erase laminating them? Again, I urge you to do some searching with good key words and you'll find a lot of good answers to these questions.

I've never tried applying laminate with a rolling pin... might not be a bad idea! :rolleyes::doh:

SeaWriter

Give R Tape a call.

They have a new product called EZ Erase.

It’s actually a white erase product that you print directly onto, eliminates the need to laminate. Designed for UV printers, but eco and solvent will print as well. Could work if you do not have to laminate i.e. for interior.

The samples I have seen were impressive.

sfnum8

+2 on the Big Squeegee.
Is this lamination requirement in conjunction with your printer question on the other thread? I assume then that you are printing calendars and dry-erase laminating them? Again, I urge you to do some searching with good key words and you'll find a lot of good answers to these questions.

I've never tried applying laminate with a rolling pin... might not be a bad idea! :rolleyes::doh:

Yes this is the same project, except I was able to get a large quantity press printed. But I want to do some small run custom jobs on my own.

To "gabagoo", no that wasn't a joke lol, I never put on laminate before and from what I understand this takes quite a bit of pressure, so I thought maybe a steel or marble roller might work. :Oops:

What is actually done with the Squeegee? Does anyone have a website/tutorial with good instructions on applying this.

signage

sfnum8 have you tried the search feature?

In you last post you ask about the big squeegee, I think this may be a good one for you to start researching (searching) on your own. We do not mind helping people who first try to help themselves.

gabagoo

I hear a lot about this ghosting on the dry erase laminates. I have never seen it but wonder what sort of markers they use to cause the problem.
I have found that from 2 suppliers the lam is very thin and somewhat like a mylar in it's rigidity, but have never had complaints of ghosting. Does it happen over the long term when info is left on for quite some time then erased?

I also wonder if it has to do with people using liquids to clean the boards and damaging the surface. they are called dry erase for a reason i suppose.

sfnum8

OK, I have ordered "The Big Squeegee"! I also picked up some Dry Erase Laminate from a local guy yesterday and it is working like a champ with over 10 types of dry erase markets and many wipe on and offs! I'll have to see what happens when left sit for a few days but so far so good.

I have viewed every Big Squeegee Video out there, my application is going to be almost exactly like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKd_SlnI20 except(as mentioned in my original post) my print is on 100# Gloss Text Paper as opposed to vinyl.

I have one question though, at the beginning of the video it appears that he tapes down the print. My prints are already cut to size, so I can't tape over the print. What is the best way to keep the print from moving when starting to push the squeegee?
Thanks again