• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dual monitor question

CanuckSigns

Is it possible to open 2 different files on a dual monitor setup? I need to copy/paste a bunch of info from one .CDR file to a new document I'm creating, I can't figure out how to open the existing file on one monitor, and the new file on my second monitor, is it possible?

Using Corel draw 2018

netsol

Premium Subscriber
it's not a dual monitor question
can corel 2018 open 2 files at once? ( haven't used corel in 20 years)
if you can open 2 files at once in corel, you could resize and have 2 screens side by side
on one monitor

i assume this doesn't work, so,, can you open the first file, copy to clipboard, close the file.
open the second file, paste

repeat

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Are your monitors connected to two different computers? Otherwise it shouldn't be any different than copy and pasting between two windows on the same monitor.

unclebun

You don't need to open two Corel Draw windows to copy and paste from one file to another. Just open both files in the same window. They come up on tabs, and you switch between them using the tabs. You did know Corel Draw has tabs, didn't you? They've been there for many years.

If you have dual monitors you can open two instances of Corel Draw. But why bother when you can copy paste in the same window?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's not a problem. You can launch Corel twice and drag one to your second monitor and open the same or different files on each instance.

CanuckSigns

I'm aware of how tabs work, but I'm trying to avoid having to jump between tabs a few hundred times.

Ideally I would have document 1 open on monitor 1, and document 2 on monitor 2 and be able to select an object in document 1, copy, then paste it into document 2 without having to minimise anything or switch tabs. Possible?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I'm aware of how tabs work, but I'm trying to avoid having to jump between tabs a few hundred times.

Ideally I would have document 1 open on monitor 1, and document 2 on monitor 2 and be able to select an object in document 1, copy, then paste it into document 2 without having to minimise anything or switch tabs. Possible?
Would it be faster to import a bunch of files at one time? Guess it depends on the type of files you are trying to copy from. I'm not Corel savvy. Adobe lets you import a bunch of files and just place them all around your open document.

2B

why copy and paste?

IMO too much extra work
open the source file, make the edits as needed and SAVE AS for the new filename

Dunca

Is it possible to open 2 different files on a dual monitor setup? I need to copy/paste a bunch of info from one .CDR file to a new document I'm creating, I can't figure out how to open the existing file on one monitor, and the new file on my second monitor, is it possible?

Using Corel draw 2018

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Isn’t it just as simple as, say, illustrator?

say I had two files open, I can switch between them from the file names up top (what you’ll be doing now). But if you drag and drop that file name instead of clicking it, it’ll open it In a new window. Then just drag that window to the other screen then maximise.

KMC

Graphic Artist
like this?
upload_2020-4-9_8-27-10.png

unclebun

Yes, you can do that. Not only that, you can drag and drop the item across the windows too.

JimmyG

Yes you can, its easier for me...open 1 instance, move it to the 2nd monitor, then double click desktop icon to open 2nd instance for first monitor. I also use drag and drop and do it to take parts from old x7 files.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
I have dual monitors and use CoreDraw. You can open Corel Draw one time of right side monitor then open up CoreDraw again on the left side monitor and Copy and paste back and forth

Roto

You Rip the Tabs away from the main toolbar and drag it to the other monitor.

JimmyG

That rip method works but you don't have any tools to work with on the tab that is ripped to another monitor. For that reason I prefer to open to 2 instances for 2 tabs.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Bumping the thread to add a couple comments (since I didn't a couple months earlier when this thread first got going).

In regards to launching multiple instances of CorelDRAW to drag elements from one document to another, that is definitely not necessary with later versions of CorelDRAW. A single instance of CorelDRAW can be opened on one monitor. Multiple documents can be dragged outside of the program window onto a second monitor (or additional monitors). It's usually easier to go to the Window menu and choose "Cascade" before dragging any open documents to other monitors (it's glitchy with a tabbed view setup). Tool bars and palettes (such as Object Manager) can be dragged outside of the CorelDRAW program window onto other monitors as well.

Older versions of CorelDRAW would not allow any open document windows or user interface elements to be dragged outside of the main program window. I can't remember which version changed that behavior. It was an overdue update; most of Adobe's applications would allow all sorts of stuff to be dragged outside the program window and onto other monitors many years prior to that.

Hi Bobby,

If you are using CorelDraw 2020, you don't need to open 2 instances of corel.
Just open the 2 files, then drag the one tab to the other screen and maximize it.

Then you can work seamlessly between the 2 documents.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Yes Keith, I know you don't need multiple instances of CorelDRAW open to have multiple documents displayed on multiple monitors (I said that on the previous page). CanuckSigns was the original poster who asked the question if more than one instance was needed (regarding CorelDRAW 2018).