• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dumb question of the day.

skyhigh

I've done hundreds of reflective signs this past year. Typically these are 36x36 or 24x24's. In the interest of saving time, I've been ordering in the blanks with reflective vinyl already applied (EG or HIP). The blanks always have "backer paper" in-between the individual panels from my supplier.

Typically I throw the paper away, when I apply my vinyl. I then shrink wrap the signs together for delivery. If its a large order, I will group the similar lettered signs, and deliver however many bundles there are.

(DUMB QUESTION COMING SOON)

So.... 2 weeks ago I complete an order of 177 signs, consisting of 22 different formats of various quantities. I bundle them together in groups, and call the customer to arrange a palletized delivery. The customer asks me if I can store these for 4 weeks (they are paid for). .......ok, no problem.

(ALMOST THERE).

So today the customer calls........ they need one of these bundles for another job site. They tell me to make another 7, to replace them for the original order......... OK, no problem. So, today an employee shows up, and wants to unwrap the bundle to make sure they were exactly what he wanted.

:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated: These F'n signs are fused together, and I had one heck of a time getting them apart. I ended up using a putty knife to snap the individual signs apart. None were damaged in the slightest.

(HERE IT IS......)

If I let these sit for another 2-3 weeks wrapped up......and they will let them sit for another 4 weeks (I know for sure, as they told me they won't be installing until the end of Sept - beginning of October), will this problem get worse? Is there a chance the vinyl can get messed up?????

I really don't want to un-bundle all these signs, if I don't have to.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
how did they stick but not cause any visible damage? you should probably keep that paper next time to keep between the signs in a bundle.

live and learn.

OlsonSigns601

If you applied your vinyl wet?

If so perhaps you stuck them together in bundles and they were still a little wet.
Once the water evaporates it wouldn't be able to replace the water with air so it would create a vacuum between the signs.

If that is the case, it probably wont' hurt them anymore than they already are. You can't get any more dry than dry.

skyhigh

i better unwrap a couple bundles to check. These were not done wet.

I dont have a clue why they are sticking. Once i get the plastic putty knife in far enough to get my fingers in there;.theni can pry them apart but it didnt leave any marks on the face.

heyskull

I have also come across this problem.
I don't know why but it doesn't always do it.
Must be solvents of the glues on the vinyl coming through,
So I always cover any sign blanks going out in silicon backing paper and tape to the rear as their is always rolls and rolls of that as waste of the laminator.

SC

ThinkRight

Start saving that backing paper to sandwich between the signs before you bundle them.
Maybe stacking them to to store them will be ok but do not bundle until you ship.

skyhigh

to those who have experieced this problem, other than the inconvenience, has any signs gotten ruined?

I have also come across this problem.
I don't know why but it doesn't always do it.
Must be solvents of the glues on the vinyl coming through,
So I always cover any sign blanks going out in silicon backing paper and tape to the rear as their is always rolls and rolls of that as waste of the laminator.

SC

You may be on to something.....hmmmm. Good guess skull.

I just did another bundle this morning. These were also "stuck" together, but not quite as bad. Again, nothing damaged or marked up.

To better describe the experience......once I'm able to separate the corner (fingernail, utility knife, putty knife), I start to pry them apart, and they kinda "POP" when they release.

Last edited: