• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

During a power outage

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Good morning, storms took out power yesterday and Its sounding like it may not be back up for 2 to 3 days. (Great way to start a busy work week.)

I have 2 roland printers, pro 4 and versa express.
Is there anything(s) I should do to them to ensure the heads don't dry since they are not running a periodic cleaning cycle? I'm assuming the heads are seated and covered right?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rjssigns

Get a generator? I've only had my Roland unplugged for about 24 hours. Not sure you can go much more than that without it doing its cleaning cycle.

d fleming

At the very least unplug it so a surge doesn't take it out when power is restored. A generator would let you power up and run maintenance then shut back down for the day. Repeat as necessary.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I wouldn't depend on the unclean current of a generator to power sensitive equipment.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I don't know how similar they are, but if the power goes out on us- we have to make sure the printerheads get to the capping station. On our Seiko, that involves removing covers to access the Z motor to lower the heads to the capping station.
It's something I've only had to do in "practice"- never when the power was out and I was having to hold a flashlight at the same time.
A genny would be nice, but I wouldn't trust the power, either- unless you spring for a medical facility grade one.

CatalinJ

If is extremly necessary to use the generator use a good UPS between the generator and plotter only after you talk with a representative of the equipment, if you dont use a UPS, the common generator does not generate a stady stream of current, it vary way to much and burns de motherboard.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Thanks everyone, the power came on late last night. Down time was about 34 hrs. I borrowed a generator with UPS between it and the printers and was able to run them both for a cleaning cycle/ink circulation. This was around the 22 hr mark. I also used it to cool the freezer/fridge back down.
I kept them both unplugged until the power came back on, then plugged them back in.

Thanks again for your input!