• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ebay Cleaning Valve Device for Large Format Printers (my VJ1204)

teamrolex

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I just received this item from an ebay seller :

Ebay Cleaning Valve Device for Large Format Printers (my VJ1204)

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Cleaning-Valve-Device-8-unit-valve-For-Large-Format-Printer-US-Fast-Shipping-/300781967601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46080098f1

(well I didn't buy from this guy but from another seller).

OK here are the pictures.
I took it apart to clean it and also soak the plastic ring seals in cleaning liquid solvent to test it for a few hours for solvent-durability.

I will assemble it back making sure everything is clean/sealed/tight works well before the install.

I plan to install this device on the printhead of my VJ1204 (DX5) after much testing outside the printer.
The purpose of this install is to facilitate periodic easy flushing/cleaning of the head channel (all or individual) using the pull-from-cap, instead of push from the manifold method.

This device seems well made but quite heavy and solid metal piece.

Has anyone got any experience with this on a DX5 printer (like my VJ1204) ?
I wonder if it's weight will cause problem with the print head.
This device weighs about 400 grams (!!).

Hoping to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20150424_110127.jpg
    20150424_110127.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20150424_103424.jpg
    20150424_103424.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20150424_105345.jpg
    20150424_105345.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 125

heyskull

Interesting!

I am not so sure whether the extra weight of this device may cause extra wear on carriage bearing, motors and pulleys.

Also I am not too sure that fitting this device will maybe cause air leaks in the lines as the one sure way to make sure of no leaks is not to have any joins (believe me I have chased a leak only to find a line had been joined!).

Also finally ..... Is this not just overkill? I mean in my experience 4-5 years of life is the maximum you can get out of the print heads in these machines and really to expect to double the life expectancy using this device to flush through is really pushing it.
Unless you are leaving this machine inactive for very long periods and filling the head with cleaning solution (and even then their is no way to say it will stay unblocked) I can see no real use for this device.

My advice is instead of fitting this device just use the machine more often, as I have really worked our VJ1604 hard since fitting a new print head three years ago and the print head is still 100% and prints like when it was new.
Also every year change the complete maintenance station.

SC

artbot

as for weight, these come in stainless steel, aluminum w/ plastic valves, and all plastic designs.

RG

This might be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway: where do you install this and how does it work?

artbot

it goes directly above the dampers. the nipple on the far side will have a connection to cleaning fluid. each head will have three positions. ink, cleaning fluid, or closed. this allows the head to be flushed quickly using minimal cleaning fluid. a very good option for printers that stay as rest for several days to weeks at a time before being used. when the printer is needed, the ink is right there at the valve and can get back into the head by only traveling a few inches. each channel can be turned off individually. this would allow for a clog/dirty channel to be cleaned while sparing ink waste across the other channels. the only reason i can figure that these don't come on the smaller solvent printers is they save so tremendously on ink. i've had a printer at rest for several weeks. each day or so, i think.... i'll need it soon, but then other design jobs, proposals, deliveries pop up and the printer continues to dump ink and attempt to gum up.

RG

Thanks, artbot. The muddy waters are starting to clear up. So, with a DX5 head with 8 channels, do you have to install 8 (or 4 with 1 cart for 2 channels) CIS carts with cleaning fluid? Once it's all set up, you just run cleaning cycles with the printer. And, when you switch back to ink, just run a cleaning cycle or 2 to get ink back in the heads. Seems like a good idea to me, except for running tubing for the cleaning fluid.