• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco Solvent Printing on 651 oracal

whgjettdesigns

Just wondering if anyone else has done this, if it works, and if so should I put laminate on it. I am printing some 4 by 12 inch bumper stickers for a local political campaign.

sfr table hockey

I do very little cut vinyl jobs, so mainly printing on the regular vinyls. I did pick up some 751 Oracal (white) to use for a door address so I decided to try and print on it. The specs say for thermal print but it printed very well with eco solvent so I would think the 651 would work. I would think you would need to laminate to get it to last more than a year.

You will also hear from some that you should get the propper vinyl to print on but I would rather hear from the ones who have printed on either the 751 or 651 and find out if their prints failed over time or not.

whgjettdesigns

these wont be on much past the election here in november. therefore should i laminate it? i just dont want two weeks down the road for all the ink to be gone?

tomence

I've printed on 651 and it looks just like printing on any other vinyl. I don't see why you can't print on it. But if it's for political then buy the cheapest inkjet vinyl like Oracal 3640 it's only 17-18 cents a s/f.

Bradster941

Then again, if you do it on 651 without lam., and possibly with, it is going to be so flimsy that it can't be applied by Joe Blow.

DRamm76

To save a few pennies per sq ft, I wouldn't chance it. You may be thinking it's just a simple bumper sticker, but if the quality is still there, someone who sees the bumper sticker may inquire as to what else you can provide.

Always keep in mind, the people you sell your finished product to are always going to be one of your greatest marketing tools. Sell them a cheap product just to save a few bucks and they won't be too happy when giving you a referral.

I would go with the Oracal material that is made for this type of application and keep the 651 for what it's meant for.

Bill Modzel

Bumper stickers are supposed to be removable adhesive vinyl. That's the difference between a decal and a bumper sticker. No one wants to fight taking off a political bumper sticker after an election.
Try Orajet 3621.

gnatt66

3621 with lam is great for that. 3164 without lam is mint too..4 mils thick easy to apply and comes off decently. I printed a few hundred small decals on 3164 for a car show/autograph session kinda thing last week no lam, no tape...none of my customers complained and i was there ;)

bigfishDM on here has a wicked cheap 5 mil vinyl that i wanna try for giveaway decal type orders.

Letterbox Mike

Bumper stickers are supposed to be removable adhesive vinyl. That's the difference between a decal and a bumper sticker. No one wants to fight taking off a political bumper sticker after an election.
Try Orajet 3621.

+1.

But to answer your question, yes, you can print on 651, the only difference between it and 3651 is 3651 has gray adhesive and is manufactured in a cleaner environment to prevent surface contamination. So printing on regular 651 may work fine, but I'd recommend cleaning the surface with alcohol to remove any contamination before printing, just to be safe.

I'd recommend going with General Forumlations Concept 204 gloss removable, we use it religiously for bumper stickers and folks love it.

TresL

We print about a roll of 651 every week or so on our Roland.
It has a MUCH stronger adhesive than the base print vinyls and a better white point, which gives brighter colors.

Not sure I would use it for bumper stickers though.