• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Engineering drawings for permit?

CreateSignCo

I have a customer requesting a sign installation within Houston City limits. As I do most of my business outside of city limits, this would be my first within city limits. The problem I'm having is that the city requires engineering drawing by a Texas licensed engineer in order to pull the permit. Never used an engineer before, so I have no clue where to even start looking. Are there specific sign engineers? Anyone have a recommendation or contact for me? It's a simple adhesive mount of .040 aluminum. letters. The guy I've been using for electrical permits charges $800 for engineering drafts, but he won't do it unless he does the install, which kills my margin on such a simple job.

I really appreciate the help!
Eric

Billct2

There are is at least one company that advertise in one sign magazines for doing the necessary documents.
Other than that I would hit the "Yellow Pages" and find an engineer that will work with you.
It's one of my gripes that the cost of a permit can easily exceed the cost of the job in some towns.
It used to be that the building officials had the knowledge to look at a simple job and know whether it was a good install or not.

ams

The permit office has the wrong idea. I've been asked once or twice before and they thought I was doing construction to the building. We sign makers aren't in the construction trade.

Usually engineering drawing means the mounting and specs of the sign. How the sign will be mounted, the hardware used, securing it, etc.

If you are using VHB tape for the letters, then a building permit shouldn't be required. If you are pin mounting with adhesive then it's needed. Sometimes you have to educate them. I had one zoning department in a very very small town who told me I had to be a master electrican to install a 12v LED sign. I had to tell him that I have a BSC license which allows me to manufacture and install or reface a 40 foot billboard. He was like oh I will have to check into that, so I saved him the time and showed him that we are allowed to hook up existing electrical related to the sign but that we cannot run new circuits or anything.

Jean Shimp

Google sign engineering - there are several who are licensed in multiple states. You should be able to get a stamped drawing for a couple hundred. I often do my own drawings and send them off to the engineer for clarification and calculatons. If it's an easy job it shouldn't cost much.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Sean McFarland is your guy and he just happens to be in Spring. He's fast and very fairly priced.

Bigdawg

Just Me
....If you are using VHB tape for the letters, then a building permit shouldn't be required. If you are pin mounting with adhesive then it's needed. ...

This is NOT true in our area. Doesn't matter if it's stud-mounted or VHB and silicone, the permit is still required in these parts and I suspect in other states. Ours gets even more strict - I have to permit a face change even if it's only cut or printed vinyl. The code varies so much from town-to-town, let alone state-to-state that it pays to know the zoning/permitting requirements in the area you are installing into (and don't forget any overlay districts where the code can be even stricter).

2B

This is NOT true in our area. Doesn't matter if it's stud-mounted or VHB and silicone, the permit is still required in these parts and I suspect in other states. Ours gets even more strict - I have to permit a face change even if it's only cut or printed vinyl. The code varies so much from town-to-town, let alone state-to-state that it pays to know the zoning/permitting requirements in the area you are installing into (and don't forget any overlay districts where the code can be even stricter).

You are totally correct, it gets to the point where you almost want to stop during installations because of the hassles / time needed before the install ever starts on the simple projects like this one.

ams

Zoning, Building and Architecture are all required for VHB? Sounds like they need to take a course in signs or else we have it really easy in VA.
I know in some places that a permit is required for faces, refacing, etc. However it doesn't require full engineering plans for a permit of that nature.

TammieH

Should be able to do the drawings yourself and get an Engineer's stamp... but all jurisdictions are different... they charge a few hundred to look over the drawings and give their stamp of approval...but we have had an engineer change a pair of 24" diam x 4' holes, ... to a 30" x 84" x 4' trench ...for a 6x8 sand basted sign in Norther KY ...that was like 15 years ago.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Zoning, Building and Architecture are all required for VHB? Sounds like they need to take a course in signs or else we have it really easy in VA.
I know in some places that a permit is required for faces, refacing, etc. However it doesn't require full engineering plans for a permit of that nature.

Yep. You do have it easy in VA. I never minded installing on the other side of the state line when we were in Bristol :)

This permit screen shot is for a small (12" x 24") wall sign next to a door adhered with VHB tape and silicone. We have to go through this (minus the building plan review) for even a face change.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 170

ams

Yep. You do have it easy in VA. I never minded installing on the other side of the state line when we were in Bristol :)

This permit screen shot is for a small (12" x 24") wall sign next to a door adhered with VHB tape and silicone. We have to go through this (minus the building plan review) for even a face change.

Yeah those are normal permit things except yours they break it down into sections. I love how the intake is called BS, because that is what it is!
Building is only needed when the structure is compromised aka engineering.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

Surprised you didn't have to have PETA sign off on the glue used in the VBH being 100% animal gluten free......