• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Enlarging small Photos for Large Format printing 96" X 108"

I'm looking for some information on being able to print a provided photo at 4"x6" at 100dpi at a size of 96" tall X 108" wide (broken into three panels 36" X 96"). I know there is a program(s) that can enlarge raster images to keep an acceptable DPI, not sure we are interested in purchasing the program (we sub out our printing.) Still waiting to hear back from our printer. If they or can't do this. Is there anyone out there that I would be able to commission enlarging a photo.

The product will be a Clear vinyl/Film with lamination installed on a interior glass accent wall.

J Hill Designs

I personally dont think that will happen. ever. straight enlarging it will bring it to somewhere in the 4 DPI range...

perfect resize etc can only do so much.

artbot

post the photo. also, what image style do they want the wall to be done in? if it's straight photographic, that won't happen. but the photo can be turned into artwork. that said, it takes almost a day to do this across several programs.

That is what I was afraid of. Yes some of the image is cropped out based on the architects rendering, which looks great on paper......I have never experienced printing anything this large from something that small. Even if they purchase a photo from a site that sells royalty free images, a Extra large image at 300 DPI would still be not acceptable. is that correct? How are you guys printing large pictures at acceptable quality. We are a Tinting firm that does a lot of decorative frost and films , many are custom cut designs. If you have every tried to cut window film, it can be a nightmare.....3m dusted crystal & Frosted Cyrstal and Avery etch are a breeze to cut compared to some of the other products out there, we also do a fair amount of architectural di-noc. anyways got off topic. We have done quite a bit of custom printed glass and wall wraps since I have been here, but this is the first project we have come across that needs such a large image, no text or design to it at all. I attached the rendering.

Attachments

• RECEP WALL 3.jpg
    RECEP WALL 3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 65

John Butto

Since you are printing on clear with a clear laminate and installing on glass with things and movement going on behind it, and most of the colors being transparent. You should be able to get away with the pixelated look to a certain degree after enlarging it using a program like Perfect Resize.

ChicagoGraphics

You can do it, you just don't need it to be 100dpi you can knock it down to 72dpi at full size. A few years ago I did one of my walls at work that is 10'x18' with a picture of Paris and the original picture was smaller then a 4"x6". I scanned it as high as I could and then used photo zoom.

J Hill Designs

You can do it, you just don't need it to be 100dpi you can knock it down to 72dpi at full size. A few years ago I did one of my walls at work that is 10'x18' with a picture of Paris and the original picture was smaller then a 4"x6". I scanned it as high as I could and then used photo zoom.

the difference here is that you scanned it at high res.

the OP's photo is already digital, 4"x6" @ 100dpi

JgS

Does it have to be that photograph or can it be any image of trees? You could search stock photo sites and find a image with a better resolution that is very close to that one.

hapycmpr

Enlarged photo

Dane Clemments on a video from Stahl's makes this claim. Go to photoshop and encrease the image by size of 110%, then save. Increase it again by 110%, then save. Increase, save. Increase, save..... Laborious but I have used this and have ended up with huge pictures with very little degradation. Just never the size you are trying to achieve. Keep us posted

Gene@mpls

I use a program named 'Magical Thinking' (download for free at magicalthinking.com)- seems to be popular
with certain politicians as well. Gene

bulldozer

Dane Clemments on a video from Stahl's makes this claim. Go to photoshop and encrease the image by size of 110%, then save. Increase it again by 110%, then save. Increase, save. Increase, save..... Laborious but I have used this and have ended up with huge pictures with very little degradation. Just never the size you are trying to achieve. Keep us posted

what size was the original and the end result?

we are dealing with a digital photograph that is starting at about 14" X 8" at 300 DPI, and the customers wants it at 174" X 92"

J Hill Designs

what size was the original and the end result?

we are dealing with a digital photograph that is starting at about 14" X 8" at 300 DPI, and the customers wants it at 174" X 92"

you can try it, but I'd be willing to bet it would degrade pretty bad by the 200th step :thumb:

bulldozer

you can try it, but I'd be willing to bet it would degrade pretty bad by the 200th step :thumb:

yup, we told them that.

the sales person, who believes that illustrator 9 and photoshop 7 can do just as much as CC or even CS6, insists it will work because he is a self-described expert (narcissist) on all things graphics.

not wasting our time.