• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Enough is enough already............................

RyanFelty

We had an order of 50 come back to us not too long ago with this same problem. We also use Magnum. I will be watching this closely!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had an order of 50 come back to us not too long ago with this same problem. We also use Magnum. I will be watching this closely!

Do you have photos..... and if not, can you take some ?? Pictures are the proof they want/need. I have the bad ones here in our shop. I will take them in one day and throw them on their desk, if need be.

Again, anyone with Magnum problems of graphics wrinkling the edges and making them curl off the vehicles, please PM or post up information. I will put together a combined effort and take this to them.

fresh

I've said this a few times... Almost a year ago to the day, I posted about having problems with Magnum Magnetics. They (Magnum) saw the post, and then somehow figured out who I must order from, contacted them, and then figured out who I was. (We are all being watched!)

Anyway, they called me, sent in a sales rep, bla bla bla, sent me a new roll. The whole shebang. They really wanted to stand by their product. BUT I think that they are ignoring the facts that there is a wide-spread problem with their material, and its only growing.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
We have had the same issues with Magnum Magnetics curling up on the sides. At first I thought it was the 3M vinyl since it does not support a full bleed print as well as the oracal.

I did 3 sets of 12" x 24" magnetics a month or so ago and the customer just brought 4 individual ones back in with the same curling issues everyone else is experiencing.

So, guess I'm done with Magnum. I see Glantz has ProMag and PowerMag. Can anyone vouch for either? Or recommend something else?

Thanks.

copythat

Yep!

Cut a piece off the roll, stick it to your vehicle with nothing done to it and see if it still shrinks or curls. If so it's the stock.

This is exactly what I did. The piece is 12 x 12 cut from Magnum .030 and still holds. Had client tell me that one of them flew off his vehicle. Replaced the one. He came back 2 months later and told me same thing happen. I gave him a price to do over again. He said why should I pay. Told him cause looking at your vehicle it's amazing all the lettering hasn't come off from his passenger side. FILTHY!!!

My piece stayed on no lifting. Maybe the vinyl is stretching up the corners.

visual800

You cannot laminate magnest. The lam shrinks and pulls up the mags. Its not the mags its the laminate. We can clear mags with auto clear and this doesnt happen

TimToad

I wonder if the Magnum guys have lunch with all the 3M reps who when confronted with customer after customer complaining about being shorted material also blame it on the end user. They must teach that in Sales 101. Never cop to a problem if at all possible.

We've had a couple of blow off failures in the last few months with Magnum and just chalked it up to customers not cleaning the vehicle under the magnetics combined with highway driving on really windy days.

At least we can count on Coroplast ALWAYS working right. LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You cannot laminate magnest. The lam shrinks and pulls up the mags. Its not the mags its the laminate. We can clear mags with auto clear and this doesnt happen

This is what I'm talking about. It boils down to.... their product can no longer tolerate what it once did. I know of people who didn't have painting abilities, would take calendared or cast vinyl and just change it by applying vinyl for a color change..... with no repercussions. I can't begin to tell you since 1995 how many magnetics we've covered with full digital prints with no problems. NOW.... all of a sudden, they say you can't do this and never could. So, who the heck is lying ?? I've got almost 15 years in, doing this many many times with full coverage.

phototec

This is what I'm talking about. It boils down to.... their product can no longer tolerate what it once did. I know of people who didn't have painting abilities, would take calendared or cast vinyl and just change it by applying vinyl for a color change..... with no repercussions. I can't begin to tell you since 1995 how many magnetics we've covered with full digital prints with no problems. NOW.... all of a sudden, they say you can't do this and never could. So, who the heck is lying ?? I've got almost 15 years in, doing this many many times with full coverage.

Gino, I believe you are RIGHT, their product has CHANGED, (less stick'em). There is ONLY one thing you can do, change vendors, DON'T purchase Magnum any longer.

I don't think you can fight them directly, but if ALL of us don't purchase their POOR product any longer, then we can put a dent in the piggy bank, (maybe a small dent)?

:banghead:

klingsdesigns

Thanks for the heads up i was just going to order a roll. We have been printing and laminating 3651ra and applying to car-safe magnets. No problems that I have came across with them doing what Magnum has been doing for you guys.

qmr55

So what brand of magnet is good for print
+ lam?

Cast lam....it won't shrink.

One question I have, why do you guys laminate magnets? Just curious. I thought mags were suppose to be a short term sign, hence not needing to lam.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cast lam....it won't shrink.

One question I have, why do you guys laminate magnets? Just curious. I thought mags were suppose to be a short term sign, hence not needing to lam.

The term laminate is referring to any media being laminated to their magnetic material. Hence, a full bleed digital print is laminated to the surface of their already laminated magnetic. We're not putting a clear protective laminate on top of the printed magnetic. This is a term most manufacturers use to sound hoity-toity as if they know what they're talking about. They start with a bare bones magnetic sheet, which is a dark dark brown almost black substance. They then laminate the white vinyl on top [unless you buy pre-colored sheets]. My theory is thus.... and it's very simple. The manufacturers have gone the cheap route of using some 3rd world media which works alright on it's own, but when a good grade of vinyl is laminated to IT...... there is a reaction of pulling and their cheap vinyl can't handle it. However, they haven't changed their recipe, huh ?? It's only in the last year or two, we've been noticing this to happen or be reported back to us. How long have companies been taking on Chinese products and not telling us in order to cut corners and costs, they've changed something on us, but insist on application failure ??

Hmmmm kemosahbee...... something's wrong in Denmark. :corndog:

1leonchen

If the front doors were made out of aluminum the magnetic wouldn't stick. Maybe this was what happened with this one...?
magnet does not stick to body filler or any from of putty also some of the door are a aluminum steel. it wont stick. magum magnetic gave me the same problem one delaminated the white layer. one just did the same thing as ginos. i replaced those already. dont have any pics. i try to sell a sticker. i dont like the look of magnet after a year.

TXFB.INS

Thanks for the heads up i was just going to order a roll. We have been printing and laminating 3651ra and applying to car-safe magnets. No problems that I have came across with them doing what Magnum has been doing for you guys.

we switched to car safe also and have been happy with the change and performance

phototec

I have noticed that the magnetic properties of the product don't seem near as strong as they used to be. The material used to cling to itself tightly on the roll; nowadays if you don't use tape or a rubber band, 2-3 feet will unroll itself.

I don't make many magnetic signs, so I have had the same roll of Magnum for several years (3 or 4), and like mentioned above, the material on the roll clings to itself tightly on the roll, and I have never had any problems.

However, I have noticed the newer magnetic sign material doesn't stick to it's self like my old roll, so something has changed. :omg:

PRS Bryan

Still a problem......

Just had another set of magnets fail.

The known failure rate on this stuff is close to 50%.

I am beginning to wonder how many of my magnets failed that I do not know about.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've had a few failures recently as well, after YEARS of using Magnum. I even had one set that we personally placed on the vehicle. It was clean, hadn't been waxed, and they went on fine. They came by a few weeks later and they couldn't pull them off of the car. We worked at it and ended up pulling chunk by chunk of the magnetic. It's almost as if they had been glued on. Only thing I could figure was it was due to extreme heat, and the car was black. But I know we have done plenty that went on dark colored cars. We have had a few others that came back after only a month or 2 that were curled up on the edges. They had white backgrounds, so they weren't ink saturated. Maybe it was a bad run of material for a while, but looking through this thread, it's been going on a couple years.