• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Enough is enough already............................

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I just replaced several the other day, exact same look as yours Gino.

I fixed some with a heat gun on my metal door. I thought it was something we did. Glad to know others are having the same issue. I just got a new roll in and will have to keep an eye on the ones that leave using it.

Schickworks

This had occurred to me, but the magnetic material would stick to the door just not hold past 30 mph, an alloy maybe?

Also the client had more than one F-250, only one had the problem.

Regardless, from a practical point of view, I simply need a material that works on all common trucks. I am not going keep track of specific make and models and the composition of the doors.

I had assumed it was just a fluke until the people who use it regularly started to notice a problem. I just don't make enough door magnets to be anything beyond anecdotal evidence.

Many things are possible, but I don't like putting money on the line to figure it out.

The front doors on an F-250 aren't aluminum. Perhaps they were damaged and have a coat of body filler (bondo) over them that would interfere with the magnets sticking.

PRS Bryan

The front doors on an F-250 aren't aluminum. Perhaps they were damaged and have a coat of body filler (bondo) over them that would interfere with the magnets sticking.

It is certainly possible.

The only reason I mentioned it is because the question was asked.

I was just contributing my recent experience. Yet when I see other who produce many more magnets than I having a disturbingly high failure rate it does make me, and Occham, wonder.

TheSnowman

I had a bad roll probably two to three years ago. I think it came from Fellers. They made it right and sent me another roll, and since then, they've all been fine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm going back-n-forth with a Magnum National Account Manager for the Northeast and it's beginning to look like we've been using the wrong stuff all along. :rolleyes:

They don't recommend using any laminate on top of their product. He says we should be running the magnetic directly through our Roland and I know that's out of the question.

Anyone got pictures of failures ?? Ya can send them to me and I'll make sure he sees we're not fooling around.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Various e-mails:

Thank you for your email regarding the concerns for the magnet issues you are having. From looking at the pictures are you laminating over our laminate?
If so, that would be causing your issues regarding the curling and bending.

None of those have a clear laminate on them. However, the pictures provided were all digitally printed onto digital media and then applied directly to the magnet. I have another set on one of our other vehicles done exactly the same way and nothing has happened to them and they are the same age within days as of these others in the photos provided. Therefore, what we did is consistent in what we've been doing and doesn't fit your story line. Some seem to be working and some don't. All of them within the last year or so. I need to solve this quickly, because I fear doing this guy's magnetics on the same roll will certainly end in a 50/50 chance of disaster.

What type of printer are you using?

Roland Versa Camm and a 1606 Dilli flatbed [in this country they're known as Agfa].

We do not recommend using any other type of laminate or vinyl applied with ours which will cause these issues you have explained. I would recommend try and printing directly to magnet on the Roland.
You can also buy our plain magnet and continue to add your die-cut vinyl, digitally printed vinyl or digitally printed laminated.

Hope this helps.

[FONT=&quot]You can also buy our plain magnet and continue to add your [/FONT][FONT=&quot]die-cut vinyl, digitally printed vinyl or digitally printed laminated.[/FONT]

This is exactly what we're doing and have been doing. Something in your recipe has changed or where you buy your components. I've talked to 3 different distributors since your e-mailing me and no one has been trained any differently as to putting laminate down . Granted, you had a very good product. Never a failure in all my years using it until just recently. Now, you want to tell me I'm doing something wrong when even your distributors never heard of your new regulations on use ?? It was written up many times that in order to change the color on a magnet was easy as 1-2-3. Just either paint it with a rattle can or roller and apply other lettering when dry. Also, it was sported about by your company and at all the trade shows you could change it super quickly by adding another layer of vinyl [preferably calendared, like your original laminate] and trim the edges.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe being a customer after all these years, I've ever gotten a thank you for all the product I've bought and now your product has let me down and is gonna cost me money and your memo about the new process you've made mention.... well, I just can't find it.

C'mon.... step up and don't give me crap about it's application failure crap. Fess up and tell me what you've changed or give me material and money for our lost labor and lettering elements.

2B

frustrating

We have been experiencing the same issue as Gino's pics are showing, both the the full color mags (dig print with Oracal 3651) and the cut vinyl (no where near edge)
The most recent failure occurred within 24 hrs of being picked up the edge & corners (corners were rounded) lifted off several different metal surfaces.

what is Magnum saying beyond direct print from the Eco-Sol printer (that is a ridiculous claim)

What magnetic material are others now using?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Also sick of it

I've also had the misfortune of telling a customer that we use the best the market has to offer and in all my years haven't had a problem.
Only to find out at least 3 other customers have been having problems with our magnets. Always swore by Magnum but now...nope.
And those are just the customers that are complaining. I'm sure the others are out there thinking..."dumb rascals stole the magnet off my car."

Now in search of a different brand.

fresh

A quick question for everyone... For your digital prints, are you using a cast material? I noticed we get less curl using a cast product than with calendered vinyl. For cut vinyl, we never have any problems using Avery 700HP calendered films.

thesignguy1986

I'm not one to bash magnum magnetics but we haven't had an issue with only 1 exception in the last 4 years and all of a sudden within the last 3 months we've had 4 complaints and the latest being just this past Monday. I have to agree and say it is defintally the .30 mil magnum is bad or something because this just doesn't happen. I mean we go through about 50' roll of magnum magnetic every month and these past couple months have been pretty bad. Could it be customer? Absolutely, but im not thinking so.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not one to bash magnum magnetics but we haven't had an issue with only 1 exception in the last 4 years and all of a sudden within the last 3 months we've had 4 complaints and the latest being just this past Monday. I have to agree and say it is defintally the .30 mil magnum is bad or something because this just doesn't happen. I mean we go through about 50' roll of magnum magnetic every month and these past couple months have been pretty bad. Could it be customer? Absolutely, but im not thinking so.

This is exactly what I've been saying. After all these years, regardless of die-cut, calendared, cast digital prints or whatever.... we had no problems, but in the last 6 months or so, it's one problem after another and Magnum is hiding their head in the dirt.

Bly

Was this issue resolved?

I just had two of this stuff blow off a customer's car.

Same product Magnum .30 and I have a roll of it here.

satanoperca

Magnetic Material

Hi,

Firstly, haven't used Magnum magnetics, to expensive in Oz, but have tested it, along with a few other brands.

I use several different magnetic materials that I print on with my Roland 640i. They are 0.8mm car magnetic, 0.3mm thin film printable magnetic, adhesive magnetic material for use with iron receptive media.

With all magnetic materials, first is application based on the magnetic force each material offers, given that all printable materials are the same. I do not laminate as a given rule, add to the risk of the overlaminate not matching the printable magnetic material.

I randomly check a section of media after each significant print run on a crude method as follows :

• Using several pieces of standard A4 80gsm photocopy paper, a piece of magnetic material, a vertical metal board.
  • I keep adding pieces of paper between metal substrate and magnetic sample (vertically) until the magnetic sample no longer holds and then count the number of sheet/pieces of paper as a measurement.

I have further had some pieces measured in a lab to check the true magnetic force to determine a scale of my crude method.

I have then been able to check rolls of material, if they match up against the manufacturers claims. I finally found one that produced product that was consistent in force.

In regards to the problem above I can only deduct the following :
1. Need to verify the magnetic force is consistent over rolls of products. If it is low/weak, then the probability of edge curl outside becomes greater. Does it match the manufacturers claim for magnetic force grams per cm2. Maybe inches for you guys.
2. Overlaminate can play a roll but not if the magnetic force is strong over 30g/cm2
3. Ink play a significant part in edge curl, just the same as vinyls. I have conducted tests of vinyl cut graphics with full bleed, 100% black on two different printers, one using roland ink, the other cheap chinese ink (about 1/20th of the price of roland eco max 2 eco solvent ink) on the same media. One should curl after a few hours on the edges and continued to get worse, the other didn't over any period of time.

I have found dealing with material suppliers over the years difficult until you can technically show with basic analysis and testing that there is a problem. Often it is the user.

Cheers

We've used nothing but Magnum since 1997 when we opened. I don't make anywhere near as many magnetics as years ago. I haven't had any failures like Gino has experienced (that I know about), but I have noticed that the magnetic properties of the product don't seem near as strong as they used to be. The material used to cling to itself tightly on the roll; nowadays if you don't use tape or a rubber band, 2-3 feet will unroll itself.

Bly

I noticed the edges starting to curl up on the bench while I was waiting for the client to pick them up.
I rolled them up with the print outside hoping it would settle once on the car.
I guess not.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Was this issue resolved?

I just had two of this stuff blow off a customer's car.

Same product Magnum .30 and I have a roll of it here.

No.

They told me it was my fault, that they haven't changed a thing. They will not reimburse us for the lost material, printing or labor one iota.

We're steering people away from magnetics and until they [Magnum] gets behind us and admits their problems, I will be pursuing this later.

Starting on this by lining up my ducks now.

Anyone who is having a similar product breakdown..... with Magnum, please list your names or PM me. I might not get anything accomplished, but in numbers, we can most probable get results. :thumb:

:thankyou:

Jeff

I have had various magnetic failures thru the years. We also have used magnum for a long time...mostly we use cut vinyl on them. I have had discussions with reps who claim no changes have been made, but I compare it to the likes of potato chip manufactures. They don't raise the price they just put less product in the bag! In this case less "magnetic" material in the magnetics seems to be the only explanation to them gripping less.

I have some OLD magnetic material around here that clearly grips better.

On a side note I find that many customers that ask for magnetics don't really need magnetics. They request them because they think it is the cheapest way to get something lettered. I often talk them into a "real" lettering job.

I realize there is a need for magnetics but I flat out tell the customer we use the best product available to us they are meant to be a short term product and we give NO WARRANTEE what so ever.

I also realize what is being talked about in this thread is the magnetics are not meeting even the least of expectations...but...welcome to the world as we now know it.

Jeff

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I've experienced a few Magnum magnets being blown off over the years, but worse than that is when the magnet BONDS to the vehicle and doesn't let go. I had to remove a magnet with a chizzler one time on a friend's show truck, and when I was done, you could see exactly where the magnet was even after a good buff and wax job. I usually instruct people to pull their magnets off once or twice a month even if only for a few minutes. I just sent 3 sets of magnets out the door this week all cut from a new roll (old roll was probably a year old) and hoping for no problems.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just to reiterate..... they are not really blowing or falling off the vehicles. The signs are actually wrinkling up and becoming distorted as you can see on post #17.

SignManiac

It obvious that in a weaker economy, companies are cutting back on quality as a cost saving measure. My guess it the companies are injecting less magnetism into their materials to save a few bucks. I would offer insurance to my customers with an add on duct tape security system.