• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

eps file - cannot cut

signw1zard

Hello All (newbie alert)

I received an eps file from my customer, but I can't make it into a cuttable file. When I open it with Illustrator, it appears bumpy. I thought eps files were vector. When I go into outline mode it shows a box only.

Customer says this is all they have. What can I do to the file to make it cuttable?

Joseph

ENTDesign

Unfortunately bitmaps can also be saved in eps format. You will have to convert the image into vector art which you can do using the tools in Illustrator, or you can pay a service to do it for you. One of the members here does this as a business, the Vector Doctor. Check the threads for the last week or two as this topic was recently discussed.

tiamarie

(From another newbie) Sounds like someone saved the raster art as a eps. (Basically they may have opened a jpg or whatever in Illustrator then saved it as an eps) Doing that doesn't magically make it vector art. The artwork will need to be redone.

signw1zard

Thank you ENTDesign for pointing me to the vector doctor. I sent the file yesterday and I got it back late last night. It was perfect, saving me an hour or more of time and I would not have been able to do it as good.

Robert

Yup Yup, The Vector Doctor Rocks! I just started my little shop last month and have used Eric on several images. Let's me get over the learning curve on my own time while still recovering some of my initial investment. I pass the conversion costs onto the customer but have low overhead so they don't feel the "pinch" of it. I don't markup erics work, I just pass the costs along.

sullosau

Ericws a legend at the vectoring, but I would like to know how to convert a jpeg bmp etc into a eps. Until then erics employed there, great employee too no benifits, no holidays no wages to pay just an occcassional cost here n there :)
Just kidding I thoroughly recommend eric the vector doc

Steve

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
signw1zard said:
Hello All (newbie alert)

I received an eps file from my customer, but I can't make it into a cuttable file. When I open it with Illustrator, it appears bumpy. I thought eps files were vector. When I go into outline mode it shows a box only.

Customer says this is all they have. What can I do to the file to make it cuttable?

Joseph

EPS==Encapsulated Post Script.

Ecapsulated, as in a wrapper. An EPS file is a container for layers of vector, text, and raster objects. What was put into the file is what comes out of the file.

If a bitmap comes out of an EPS file then a bitmap was put into that EPS file. If that's all you have and you must cut then you have to trace or hire a subordinate to trace for you.

Jeizzavelle

I am a kinda newbie (htought I was doing good till I found here) but I know that I get those alot and if you are using Omega you can try under tools- Posterize.

Sometimes it's great and sometimes you get a bunch of crap. Even when it's great though you have to clean it up. Usally it's not too bad though. Hope that helps!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
eps files

signw1zard said:
Thanks, I'll give them a try. The logo uses a font I don't own.
If you can get the file converted to curves before they send it to you, you won't need the same font.

Last edited: