• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

.eps files in composer

8 out 10 .eps files we get sent from cutomers we can't open in composer. i have 2.1 and i don;t know if i update to a newer version this would solve the problem? its very frustrating having to open the files in illy and print with our roland when i can't open up them in composer and print with the gerber. i have tried saving the file in illy and transferring it over to omega but have the same problem, won't open. is there anyway that i can get composer to open up all or most of the .eps files we get??

iSign

yes, no problem at all... but because it's no problem, it's hard to know what to tell you... how is it a problem?

is it vector art? what version of Illustrator? do you save down? copy & paste into a new file/ save as .ai instead of .eps? try Omegas variety of import filters, instead of only trying the same one?

when we get sent .eps files we try and open some of them in composer as we want to print the vector art on the gerber. sometimes the files will open and most times they won't. apparently its due to the .eps files being saved on a newer version of some software programme..so i was told, not sure if that is correct information or not....maybe someone can tell me?
anyways, opening the same file in illy v3 they will open no problem. so, basically, if i want to save the .eps file so i can open it up in composer 2.1 which file should i save it to in illy so it will be able to open in composer? thanks for the info guys, appreciate you taking the time to answer this in your busy working day!

WildWestDesigns

anyways, opening the same file in illy v3 they will open no problem. so, basically, if i want to save the .eps file so i can open it up in composer 2.1 which file should i save it to in illy so it will be able to open in composer? thanks for the info guys, appreciate you taking the time to answer this in your busy working day!

I would save it as a version 3, that seems to be the most universal version out there. I know I have to be particular with what version I save it in for the embroidery CAD program as well. Not all work. Take it through Ai first and it works like a charm.

Tony Teveris

The EPS, AI and PDF import filters have improved greatly in Omega versions starting with 2.5 - if you stay with 2.1 I would what others have said, reexport from Illy as EPS 3.0

yeah, i was woundering if i upgraded to a newer version of omega this would solve some of these issues etc. gerber refuse to even give tech support to our 2.1 version now!! i find that absolutly crazy! i paid alot of money for the software when i got my edge fx and now because they have newer versions its basically buy our newer product or we won't help you! ridiculas!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's really not hard to understand. Illustrator files, like just about any application's files, are not backward compatible. So if someone sends you a CS4 or CS5 file without choosing a legacy version to save it as, then you need to have an application that can deal with those files or do a better job of communicating your needs to those supplying you with art files.

Since the latter is difficult to impossible to do, I recommend that you upgrade your Omega to take advantage of their ability to deal with later version files than version 2 will handle. Or simply get a copy of Illustrator CS5 and use it to open anything you get and save it back to the highest version your Omega will handle.

Be prepared to deal with this issue on a continuing basis. Every new release of Illustrator only adds to the problem. It's just a fact of life.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have Composer 2.51 & Illustrator CS4 & run into no issues with compatibility (creating art in Illustrator then importing into composer).

petepaz

i find that pdf's import the best for us
so i just same the files from illustr. as pdf's and all is good