• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson or Rolland

Jack Knight1979

+1

I have said this before and but I will say it again. Buy the unit that has the best and closest to your shop service rep . PERIOD. I do not care what people claim about this or that being a workhorse. There are no metrics to back up their claims. Roland, Epson et. al. have no such data either, and if they do are not willing to share it. They all break and usually at the worst possible moment.
If you buy the worlds best machine, but service is days away you will have a boat anchor at some point. Trust me on this.

I want to keep my rep forever. He is the one responsible for the confidence in my ability to keep running. Not the manufacturer.

Although. I'm in rural Maine. There is no tech support here. PERIOD.
I'm the tech. Oh to live in a populated area with dealer support and a fellers warehouse not eight hours away.

allamericantrade

I could care less about cost if it makes a turn around in the end. The supply house I deal with only sells and services rollands. I can call anytime and have one of them out here. I am now looking at the xj640 6 color. I personally could care less if it cuts and prints and would be fine with print only as I have been using both a plotter and a printer already. I am finding out in this business that service is everything and thats where Hp just dosent cut it.

tomence

I could care less about cost if it makes a turn around in the end. The supply house I deal with only sells and services rollands. I can call anytime and have one of them out here. I am now looking at the xj640 6 color. I personally could care less if it cuts and prints and would be fine with print only as I have been using both a plotter and a printer already. I am finding out in this business that service is everything and thats where Hp just dosent cut it.

The new RE-640 which is the same size should be faster than the XJ in standard and high quality mode and it's half the price of the XJ. Plus it's a newer technology with only one printhead.
I bet you that XJ has 6 printheads.

Cale Frederick

We have a XC 540 and a GS6000 and if I had to go back to only one I don't know which one I would pick. Our shop does so many different types of jobs that makes both printers so useful. We have had our Roland for 4 years now and it has been a true workhorse. Only had to call tech support twice on it. Once for user error (don't try to put the media clamps on while it is printing...) and the second time was due to 3rd party inks. We have had our Epson for almost 3 months and I don't know how we got by without it for so long. It's not that we are just slammed with work to need two printers but man the differences they bring to the table is just hard to live without now that we have gotten used to them.