• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

equipment question

skasigns

Hi. I'm new to the site. My husband and I run a small sign business from our home. Right now we have a Roland PC-60. We're wanting to get a larger/separate printer and cutter. We've been looking at several - VersaCamm, Mimaki, Mutoh and PrismJet. Just wanting opinions on what others think the best machines are.

Jackpine

I use a Mutoh and have had very good results. I believe the ValueJet is a good choice. I would stay with a printer AND a cutter. The work flow is better. I had a PNC 600 and made money with it. All equipment have their limits and purpose. What you want to do and how much money you can spend will determine what you buy. Just buy the best quality software and equipment you can afford.

P.S. Welcome to the group.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Whichever brand you get, insure that you get a ventilation system. Even ecosolvent fumes will have long term health risks.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Mutoh Prisam Jet. I would op for the print and cut feature. Well woth it.

Speeddm

I would seriously look at a Versacamm SP300v . You can get into these quite easy and the software operates very similarly to you colourcamm. We went from a PC60 to a PC600 them a SP300 and soon we will be moving up to a SP540v. You will get alot of presure to go with a 54" machine but do whats right for you. You have to do ALOT of printing to warrent the holding cost of all the 54" material and the initial cost of the 54" machine.

What kind of digital work do you do curently?

schurms

Have heard nothing but good on here about Valuejet, but the other Mutch products suck. Look at all the problems posted here.

Buddy

schurms........From what I've read & some limited experience with owning the ValueJet I suspect you are 'dead on' right.....ValueJet is great....other Mutoh's suck.

skasigns

We didn't have any information on the Mutoh ValueJet. We were sent information on the Mutoh PrismJet. What's the difference? We also got information on the Mimaki 160. Any opinions on the PrismJet and Mimaki?

iSign

I got a Mimaki JV3160
it's an awesome machine.
It requires more cleaning maintenance then some machines, but my supplier has seen far less service calls then with Mimaki's then they have with Mutoh machines. I chose it over Roland machines also.

I didn't mention it earlier because everyone replies to these posts to say "Buy what I have" ...but that's human nature I guess. What i often say is that they will all produce a nice print... so who is your supplier for the various machines you are considering? I would want to get my machine from a vendor i had a long term business relationship with, because the quality of service after the sale can be worth far far more then the difference between 2 good printers.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We didn't have any information on the Mutoh ValueJet. We were sent information on the Mutoh PrismJet. What's the difference? We also got information on the Mimaki 160. Any opinions on the PrismJet and Mimaki?

What iSign is telling you is the best advice you will get. Many would not recommend the company that markets the PrismJet because of a poor after the sale history.

Since you are in Indiana, you are likely within a short distance of any number of well established sign supply distributors with excellent reputations and histories of supporting what they sell. i would suggest contacting the nearest branch of Advantage Sign Supply, Grimco, or Sign Supply USA and buy the dealer ... not the printer.

2NinerNiner2

What iSign and Fred said! :) ....

and bonjour de Montréal
salut.gif

Replicator

I've been considering a Mutoh value-jet because of the wave print technology

which supposedly fixes any and all banding issues, however I've made no

decisions and will likely do a lot more research, as this purchase will not be until

next year at the earliest . . .

iSign

while we're naming names... I bought my Mimaki from Matt at the Grand Rapids Michigan branch of Advantage Sign Supply.

In ten years as a business owner, & another 10 in purchasing roles at sign companies I worked for Matt has led his teams reputation to tremendous heights of superior service beyond anything else I've experienced in 20 years. Virtually EVERY scrap of printable media AND inks (& resins) for both my Edge & my Mimaki... are bought & shipped to Hawaii from Michigan simply because the quality of their service means mistakes almost NEVER happen... and when a small one or two has occured... instant resolution to my satisfaction (or beyond my expectations) has always followed.

Believe me I could locate these same supplies (& all the original machine purchases) from dozens of closer suppliers saving me lots of freight costs... but just one complementary tech service call they mede in the first year of owning my printer (even though my warrenty didn't include covering their airfare or service labor) ...saved me more money in a weekend then all the extra freight costs for the previous AND the subsequent year... add to that the value of getting things right the first time (unlike every other supplier I've had the misfortune to deal with)... you can't measure the value of having an outfit like Advantage on your team as a supplier.

skasigns

We're talking to Sullco, Grimco, Advantage and Sign Warehouse. We've also been thinking about getting into Sublimation.

RE-APP

You might want to try Ordway Sign Supply. Their link is on the bottom of this page as they are a merchant member of this site. Very honest and helpful people.

Print-Kwik

I like my ValueJet so far. I actually bought mine from Signwarehose. They sold me an acutal ValueJet, not PrismJet V. Great price, can't comment on service since I haven't needed it yet.

skasigns

We appreciate everybody's opinions. I think we're leaning toward the Mimaki.

One person quoted Finecut software and another quoted Onyx Postershop Rip. Any opinions on software? We use SignMate Print Cut Pro right now.

Thanks for all your help!