• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expansion ideas from next to nothing

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
This may get lengthy, please bear with me. As I pointed out we had a 15" cutter for two years. It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are determined enough. We tackled items and developed a small, if not tiny niche locally. Some clubs, sport teams and the like.

I like the tone of this site and the willingness of so many people to offer input. So after a few weeks of spending too much time here I will pose the question.

A brief "where we are at". For numerous reasons we ordered a new Roland SP540i. It will arrive shortly. Business plans are basically limited to the writers imagination. I am looking to strain the limits of this site.

We have ideas for a direction but has anyone gone through similar steps? More importantly what did you do? We are commited ( or should be ) at this point and we have some ideas that haven't been adressed locally.

We will be doing the brick and mortar deal and have secured a nice location. Maybe we are running before walking but it's a done deal. There are 2 competitiors but really not geographically close. They are established however the market availability won't even make me a blip on thier radar.

Vehicle wraps? Not happening. Our limited local buisnesses offer little in this area. Sign "designers"? Nope, not yet.

I am hoping someone would share what buisness types they presented to or what marketing strategies they incorporated. Considering the investment I thought it was worth throwing out there.

Thanks in advance, I have little doubt the responses will be helpful. If the answers lay in the premium section then tell me so. We have layed the money down so there's no looking back.

CheapVehicleWrap

It's seems you're doing everything in reverse and know it. Several times you mentioned there's no turning back as if you already have buyers remorse even before taking delivery. If that's the case, my best suggestion would be to SLOW DOWN before you sink a ton of cash without any direction. I'd be curious what the numerous reason are for the upgrade. That may help you get your desired answers. The mere cost of the premium forum would certainly benefit you at any stage. Without more info I don't know what else to tell you.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Yep, the cart is pulling the horse, and you need to get it turned around before you wear the hide off him.

The very best advice I've ever heard for starting a business is "Start With Customers". With that said, it's a delicate balancing act and that will ultimately test your skills...and intestinal fortitude. They don't call it the school of hard knocks for nothing.

Business plans are basically limited to the writers imagination.
That's a scary thought. Have you even defined your market? A business plan is like a set of rail road tracks. It keeps the train from going all the wrong directions. Yours sounds like it has a lot of loose ends...a little like a rag mop. Start focusing on the basics of marketing and excellent customer service. There are many other areas of focus, but those two will be a good start.

I am looking to strain the limits of this site.
Honestly, I don't think that's all you'll be straining.

There is a lot of good stuff tucked away in this forum, and you'll have to do a lot of digging on your own. There's great advice for free, and some well-held secrets that you'll have to learn on your own...or hire an experienced consultant.

When I first started out, I jumped into business half-cocked, with a head full of ideas and very little direction...it's brutal, barely doable...and not very fun.

JB

Last edited:
i hate to say it but i have to agree with what has been said above. your jumping into a printer and a store front without the clients to support these. you need to first have a strong client base and have been outsourcing your print jobs knowing that you have that client base before jumping the gun.
i hope you do well i really do, but.......without a steady and proven client base to even start off with you are in for a hell of a ride!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You must have one heck of a business plan going there, Mike.

You really are being reckless sinking so much into equipment and a rental space with no vision of where you're going and needing to ask after the fact.

Some of your recent questions of how to do certain things in software, tell me you're not ready for this step at all. You sound as if you'll be overwhelmed every step of the way and could very easily piss a lot of people off in doing so..... customers that is.

You also might want to consider being a blip on your competitors radar. If you run into a problem needing stock, help or whatever... it's nice to be professional friends with someone that can bail your butt out of a jam.

If all these things are a done deal as you put it..... you might want to re-think some of your aims.​

I would probably first put together a list of your and your wife's strong points...... design, cutting, layouts, schmoozing customers, partial wraps, various substrate capabilities, cutting equipment, space to move around in your new location, storage space for all kinds and sizes of substrates and vinyls, your ability to laminate vinyl for durability and manufacture warranties. Then next to this column, mark if you're not good at any of these and see what out weighs what. Be brutally honest with yourself. Customers are not going to allow you to muddle your way through their job regardless of what they pay you. Once you have these answers, then go towards getting those types of customers. Don't wait for them to come to you, because if you're low on your competitors radar, you'll be even lower on the general public's radar.

When we dove into digital printing back in 1995, we were already outsourcing close to two full days worth of work a week. Our first printer was a PC-5000 and cost about $7,500 and was horribly slow and and expensive to run. We kept upgrading until we got our first wide format almost 3 years later. You don't need to move that slow, but then again, no one had much to offer at the time. As in our discussion the other day..... I truly think you should re-think and farm a little out to get your feet wet and save your money until you know what you're doing.

Good Luck........................... :rock-n-roll:

Jon Aston

Sometimes, I find it totally baffling that so many people seem to think it's somehow easier to do things the long, hard way.

<tough-love>
The best advice is to start straining your own frigging imagination. Think of it as a muscle that needs exercise. It takes imagination and real commitment to be truly successful. You don't seem to be demonstrating either.
</tough-love>

Mosh

My business plan is to pay cash for everything, that way when there is no work you still have no payment due. Follow this and you will never be in trouble!

If you don't have the money, you can't afford it right now, so save up. Just think if more people thought this way there would have not been this big forclosure deal in the U.S. and the country would be alot more sound.

Mosh

I wasn't trying to put anyone down, just a great plan on how to run a business
and your life.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Thank you all for your input. Somwhow my original post was recieved WAY different than what I was driving at.

I can read my post and understand how I wasn't clear, guess I was overtired when I wrote it. :toasting:

This venture is in addition to our main business. Our first cutter's limitations were evident within weeks of arrival. We have outsourced as needed and we will still need to. We have some steady customers and opportunities within our main business network, but I digress.

I'll be more direct:

Anyone care to share an unexpected niche market they discovered?