• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extruding in Illustrator

washingtonsignguy

Hey guys,I am using CS2 illustrator, and sometimes i like to give the font the prism effect, using 3d--Extrude--Bevel tool. I never can get this to work it misshapes the font out of control. I am usually forced to create the bevel by hand which can be time consuming. I would like to use this tool it would be great for proofing, so i dont have to put in the time only to find out they dont like it. Any suggestions, User error? Thanks

Malkin

would also like to know....

I usually do that kind of work in Gerber, but would be faster in Illy sometimes.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
It does not work well. If you want a good looking prism font you must build by hand. The effect in Illustrator almost always introduces anomalies

washingtonsignguy

So iam not the only one then having problems. I use LXi for sign making, it doesnt have that effect, so i have to do manually. I just thought that would be nice to have for quick proofs. Thanks guys

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Does it make any difference if you create outlines (convert to curves) before you do the extrude / bevel?

JB

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have never seen any bevel function in the illustrator effects menu that looks anything like a hand done bevel/prism font. Someone enlighten me

artsnletters

yup me too...i guess i should read mo bettah. I missed the font bevel phrase. I don't think there is any easy way to do it either, other than doing it by hand.
Tim