• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Facebook Paranoia?

SqueeGee

For those that regularly update their Facebook (or website) with photos of recently completed work, are you ever concerned with competitors keeping tabs on who your clients are and potentially poaching them? Has anyone had a verifiable and real life experience of this happening? If so, has this changed your posting behavior?

I'm sure that the pros outweigh the cons but I was just curious about others experiences and recommendations.

pointjockey

It seems to be the trend to post stuff on FB and other sites. I refrain from doing it. One reason is that I simply do not have time to play around on FB.

astro8

Get shops trying to poach our work constantly, one big client for 20 years...
I say bring it on.

Pat Whatley

Would it matter? I've gotten three new commercial real estate customers this year and I have no idea who I "took" them from. If somebody wants the business from a company I don't see how knowing who has been doing the work matters at all.

SqueeGee

Would it matter? I've gotten three new commercial real estate customers this year and I have no idea who I "took" them from. If somebody wants the business from a company I don't see how knowing who has been doing the work matters at all.

I'll give you an example. This week, I'll be doing 11 cars for an agency that had previously been doing their graphics "in house" via their own vehicle maintenance facility. To my knowledge, no other sign companies in our area know that this is going to happen and thus are not actively pursuing the business. In this case, would you(or anyone who regularly updates their facebook or website) be at all concerned about posting photos of these new cars?

Last edited:

jasonx

If your customers are leaving they are leaving for a reason. If its based on only price then it won't matter if you post of facebook or not. Someone cheaper will get the work.

Now if your point of difference is based on quality or speed or ease of doing business then it won't really matter.

SqueeGee

If your customers are leaving they are leaving for a reason. If its based on only price then it won't matter if you post of facebook or not. Someone cheaper will get the work.

While I don't think I've lost anyone(yet), I mostly agree with your conclusion. In many cases, someone cheaper will get the work. I'm not the cheapest and hence my dilemma.

I believe that our company is known for quality materials and skilled installations. As you know, these things do not come cheap and there are other companies out there who could use inferior materials and cheaper, less skilled labor to arrive at a cheaper price.

So here I am with a higher price, promoting the fact that we're doing a job for XYZ Company. I have a competitor who's willing to do the same jobs that I do cheaper, monitoring what I do. When this competitor sees that I'm working on something for XYZ by simply checking my Facebook, he goes to them to try to win their business. He already knows he can beat my price, so now he just has to convince them that he's capable of doing the work.

My questions are: Is this a valid concern or am I just being paranoid? Is anyone else who provides regular updates to Facebook or their website concerned about this? Have they ever been burned? If so, are they doing things differently now?

OldPaint

11 police cars? with a NO-BID DEAL? IS IT NOT A LOCAL GOVT that will be paying you? sounds fishy to me...............your uncle the police chief???

weaselboogie

So here I am with a higher price, promoting the fact that we're doing a job for XYZ Company. I have a competitor who's willing to do the same jobs that I do cheaper, monitoring what I do.

For facebook, If you want everyone to see your work except for a couple of different photos, change just those pictures to viewable only by friends. ... and if it's your friends that you're worried about, maybe you should be a bit more picky with who you're friends with.

SqueeGee

11 police cars? with a NO-BID DEAL? IS IT NOT A LOCAL GOVT that will be paying you? sounds fishy to me...............your uncle the police chief???

OP (unitentionally) raises another excellent point. Perhaps you have someone who's not trying to steal your business but just wants to get under your skin.:wink:

iSign

OP (unitentionally) raises another excellent point. Perhaps you have someone who's not trying to steal your business but just wants to get under your skin.:wink:

well, you can just go to OP's facebook profile, and down on the left is the "unfriend' link :Big Laugh

Jon Aston

SqueeGee

Normally, I would suggest that if you're that worried about your competition, you really ought to focus your energy on differentiating your products/services. And I'm not sure that's bad advice in this case either. However, you shared some specifics that seemed worthy of comment.

In the case of the agency that just started outsourcing (and in the case all new clients, really): I would suggest seizing the opportunity to ask how they found you, and what made them decide to give you the business. What other suppliers did the agency consider, and why did they rule them out? You might just glean some valuable competitive intelligence - which will either set your mind at ease, or reinforce your reasons for concern. Either way, you'll be able to act -- on fact, rather than on conjecture and opinion.

I would strongly consider having a similar conversation with some of your biggest and best clients. Why do they keep coming back to you? On a scale of 1-10, how likely would they be to recommend you to a friend or colleague? If there was one thing you could improve about their experience with buying from your company, what would it be? What other sign companies did they use in the past? How likely would they be to recommend those companies on the same scale?

In the case of this copycat competitor: The real question is how, specifically, is what you're offering at your prices different from what he is offering at his prices? What are your competitive strengths and weaknesses compared to this guy? What value do/can you offer customers that would be difficult or impossible for him to duplicate? Develop your strategy accordingly.

If you want to have some fun: create a list of your worst customers...PITAs, slow payers, nickle-and-dimers, whatever... and whenever any of them they call next: apologize, tell them you are really up to your eyeballs in work, and send them to your pal. He'll no doubt take the work, and you'll bog him down with all the problem customers.

i've consulted with sign companies where every employee has had to sign a confidentiality agreement, shops where no one who is not directly involved with the production of their products is allowed to see their 'secret production methods', shops with locks on their dumpsters because 'the competition is snooping through their garbage for leads'...and on and on and on...

paranoia will destroy ya' i think there are many more real life things to worry about.

702 graphics

For those that regularly update their Facebook (or website) with photos of recently completed work, are you ever concerned with competitors keeping tabs on who your clients are and potentially poaching them? Has anyone had a verifiable and real life experience of this happening? If so, has this changed your posting behavior?

I'm sure that the pros outweigh the cons but I was just curious about others experiences and recommendations.

If you do good work, offer good customer service, and have a good price why would they leave when someone trys to poach them? This business is all about relationships.

SqueeGee

From what has been shared, I'm hearing that it shouldn't be a concern. I think everyone has implied that the benefits outweigh any potential drawbacks and that if we're doing our job correctly, then there's nothing to be worried about at all. Got it.

Since no one has specifically responded to the main question I have, I'll pose it again with the hopes that someone will respond to it who has already implemented what I'm considering.

If you have a sign business that regularly updates your Facebook(or website or Twitter) with photos or information about your very recently (perhaps even daily) completed jobs, have you ever had an instance that you believe this information was used by a competitor to make contact with your clients? If so, do you now do anything differently?

onesource

I think your question has been indirectly answered and I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I have never had that problem although I did have a "friend" ha! years ago steal my portfolio to use as his sales instrument. There is always a chance someone will do what you're concerned about but they're weeded out rather quickly because of their character.
It is common for design ideas to be swiped but less for customers.
I say build the heck out of your portfolio and don't worry about it.

Salmoneye

When I was in the offset business I had a part time employee that went to work at another shop. This shop also locked dumpsters in fear of loosing customers to competitors digging through the trash. I heard through a supplier that their press was down for at least a week. I called and said that their pressman had a key to my shop and he could come and run all their jobs in the evenings after we went home. The offer was so sweet but they thought it was some trick. They got so behind before they finally took me up on my offer that they probably lost some customers anyway. Paranoia will get you. I seek out people in need. When I see quality work being done by other shops I don't go after those customers because I assume that they are satisfied.

Ken

Oh, I have never bin 'der ..dun dat..I am humbly accepting all apologies...
Salom mal akem...
Cheers!
Ken
no offense..it was an attempt a humour...